Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 2nd Black on the Block!

Thanks

Default New 2nd Black on the Block!

Hi All!

The test is over and I can finally relax. Here is my story:

I was there nice and early, but not as early as I would've liked because a huge accident had clogged up two of the major freeways in the area, which caused people to be later than they would've liked.

I was bouncing with extra energy. And I was really nervous. I hate karate tests. Other tests are fine, but karate tests make me insane with worry because I want them perfect and they never are.

He started the test (just me testing) with punches. First one, then two, then three, up to ten. He moved on to kicking combinations (back and forth and back and forth.) Then short 1, short 2 and form six. He had me do staff set, which I didn't expect and hadn't practiced in several weeks. That made me more nervous.

Then he had me put on sparring pads and I went for 3 min. with one of our practiced fighters. Then off with the pads and onto finger set and long form 3. Then striking set (a set I pretty much never work on.) Then blocking sets 1 & 2.

Then I sparred again for 2 rounds.

Then we finally moved on to techniques. For reasons unknown to me, he focused on the list that was not what I was to be tested on. My new material was blue extensions and he seemed to focus largely on green and brown.

Tara did a great job of being my uke. On a number of them though (you'll see on the video), she and I hadn't practiced and she didn't know the technique, so she went down when I wasn't expecting it. I did a lot of improvising. The peanut gallery wouldn't have known, but I kept opening my mouth about it. Just nervous.

After doing a bunch of techniques, Tara and I sparred too, which was really good. She and I are well-matched and I'll post that fight too.

My biggest problem was that I was so nervous (starting early on with staff set - which I messed up on - just sapped my confidence) that I couldn't breathe. I have some asthma, which didn't help, but largely it was that my diaphragm was a knot. It wouldn't relax and I couldn't get enough air.

I was sucking wind a LOT. A little invalidating considering how hard I've been training for this. It's still sore today. My whole body is sore. The test was a little over an hour and I am exhausted.

Afterwards, I taught my class and I pointed out to them how much wiser everything I said was. They all agreed that all my words suddenly carried more weight.

A special thank you to Tara for her help. She is fabulous. And to Darryl, of course, who picked a bunch of techniques that he knew I was stinky on. He was laughing because I was getting annoyed about a couple of techniques that I just couldn't seem to do right. I said, "I KNOW this one!" and he said, "I know you do. That's not what the test is about."

Ugh.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Pix and video to follow.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Default Re: New 2nd Black on the Block!

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Hi All!

The test is over and I can finally relax. Here is my story:

I was there nice and early, but not as early as I would've liked because a huge accident had clogged up two of the major freeways in the area, which caused people to be later than they would've liked.

I was bouncing with extra energy. And I was really nervous. I hate karate tests. Other tests are fine, but karate tests make me insane with worry because I want them perfect and they never are.

He started the test (just me testing) with punches. First one, then two, then three, up to ten. He moved on to kicking combinations (back and forth and back and forth.) Then short 1, short 2 and form six. He had me do staff set, which I didn't expect and hadn't practiced in several weeks. That made me more nervous.

Then he had me put on sparring pads and I went for 3 min. with one of our practiced fighters. Then off with the pads and onto finger set and long form 3. Then striking set (a set I pretty much never work on.) Then blocking sets 1 & 2.

Then I sparred again for 2 rounds.

Then we finally moved on to techniques. For reasons unknown to me, he focused on the list that was not what I was to be tested on. My new material was blue extensions and he seemed to focus largely on green and brown.

Tara did a great job of being my uke. On a number of them though (you'll see on the video), she and I hadn't practiced and she didn't know the technique, so she went down when I wasn't expecting it. I did a lot of improvising. The peanut gallery wouldn't have known, but I kept opening my mouth about it. Just nervous.

After doing a bunch of techniques, Tara and I sparred too, which was really good. She and I are well-matched and I'll post that fight too.

My biggest problem was that I was so nervous (starting early on with staff set - which I messed up on - just sapped my confidence) that I couldn't breathe. I have some asthma, which didn't help, but largely it was that my diaphragm was a knot. It wouldn't relax and I couldn't get enough air.

I was sucking wind a LOT. A little invalidating considering how hard I've been training for this. It's still sore today. My whole body is sore. The test was a little over an hour and I am exhausted.

Afterwards, I taught my class and I pointed out to them how much wiser everything I said was. They all agreed that all my words suddenly carried more weight.

A special thank you to Tara for her help. She is fabulous. And to Darryl, of course, who picked a bunch of techniques that he knew I was stinky on. He was laughing because I was getting annoyed about a couple of techniques that I just couldn't seem to do right. I said, "I KNOW this one!" and he said, "I know you do. That's not what the test is about."

Ugh.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Pix and video to follow.

--Amy

Nice job!

Gratz!!!

Looking forward to seeing the video.

Full salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

I can already feel the additional power and wisdome eminating from your posts allone.. I stand in fear and awe....

heheh great job!!!!
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I said, "I KNOW this one!" and he said, "I know you do. That's not what the test is about."

Geez, I just took my Purple belt test Saturday, sounds just like what Bill told us, "I'm going to take you out of your comfort zone, now do all your techniques on the opposite side." Even with all my brain synapsis missfiring I still somehow managed to pass, I think it was out of pity......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dcastiglione
    I said, "I KNOW this one!" and he said, "I know you do. That's not what the test is about."

Geez, I just took my Purple belt test Saturday, sounds just like what Bill told us, "I'm going to take you out of your comfort zone, now do all your techniques on the opposite side." Even with all my brain synapsis missfiring I still somehow managed to pass, I think it was out of pity......
    Don't underestimate the value of pity. I figure that I'll take what I can get.

Congrats on your purple belt!

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

congrats amy!!!!!!
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: New 2nd Black on the Block!

Congratulations, that is assume I am worried about my purple belt test I can’t imagine what you were going through. The part about “I know this one” wow that sounds familiar.

I hope one day probably about the same time I hit the big 40 I hope to be there.

My hats off to you well done.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Well- you impressed the heck outta me lady!! Way to go!!!!

Thanks

Good job, Amy!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

HOOORAY! Congratulations. Sounds like a grueling test. I can't wait for the video!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    HOOORAY! Congratulations. Sounds like a grueling test. I can't wait for the video!
    I will post bits and pieces of it. Unfortunately, there were disc problems so none of the part at the beginning is on there -- you know, the part where I was fresh and sharp? Yeah, none of that is on there.

Just the part where I look like someone punched me in the gut.

When Camey and I go to Vegas, I'll record both of us looking good and hopefully that will blot out the image of the video you will be seeing soon.

Ugh.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Congratulations again! You did awesome I have zero doubt.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks

w00t! Congrats!
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Congratulations Amy

Sounds like your instructor decided to throw you a curve ball right off the bat to see how you would handle things, and while you are frustrated with your performance you must have done as well as he expected. This is a also lesson for your next test, no matter what he tells you is the primary part of the test there will always be more.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Congratulations Amy

Sounds like your instructor decided to throw you a curve ball right off the bat to see how you would handle things, and while you are frustrated with your performance you must have done as well as he expected. This is a also lesson for your next test, no matter what he tells you is the primary part of the test there will always be more.
    Yes, he was a booger. I asked him what was on the test. I said, "Kata, techniques and sparring, right?" and he said, "Yes, techniques and sparring." He'd already seen all of my katas a few days prior. He forgot to mention that there were going to be bunches of sets and other drills. Ugh.

He also deliberately picked techniques that he knew didn't look as good. He said he didn't want to pick the expected ones or ones he knew I'd been practicing. He said he has a sadistic streak and I didn't think it appropriate to correct him.

I'll be posting some video shortly. It looks like we only got about 20 min. of the 65-70 min. test.

--Amy

Thanks

Congratulations on your 2nd Degree Amy.

I also missed your test last year for 1st Degree. Mr. Tatum had asked me to sit on the testing panel, but since I had brought my wife and youngest daughter with me on the trip, we did the "night halk" thing in Las Vegas.

I know one thing. You have one heck of an amazing instructor in Mr. Liner. That guy is the real deal, and I highly respect his sparring ability.

Jamie Seabrook
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Congratulation Amy

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

congrats amy!

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Congrats!
    More Shugyo!

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Good job. I told you there was nothing to worry about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links