Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Journals

Thanks

Default Keeping Journals

Do any of you keep kenpo journals of techniques and such? Or concepts?

When I was at Ray Arquilla's school, it was required. He taught a technique and I stopped everything to write it down.

Things are little different now that the techniques are easy to get written out. I have them all in a binder anyway for reference.

It's good to have when you're teaching something and can't remember if it's stepping forward or backward.

Do you require your students to keep journals?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (03-14-2007),Martin Seck (03-14-2007)

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I keep a notebook. It's hard not to. Too many seminars to not remember anything after paying the big $$'s to go.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Keeping Journals

We were required journals by my first instructor.......but not since.......however, gaps in your training will show you how valuable having a notebook is!! I still keep one today. Video taping yourself periodically is good too......although I have been bad about that one!!

Thanks

We'll have to start taping some of our workouts then. That'll be fun to go back and review it.

Sometimes it's hard to remember stuff by the chicken scratch notes that I know I take. Video is a good thing.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I keep a complete journal of all the techniques, forms, etc. that I learn. I draw pictures write down specific instructions, principles, new secrets that I figure out within the techiques. I write down everything! I also want to work starting a video collection of my training sessions. hopefully i'll find a way to work that out soon.
    "A warrior's ultimate act is to put down his sword"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Do any of you keep kenpo journals of techniques and such? Or concepts?

When I was at Ray Arquilla's school, it was required. He taught a technique and I stopped everything to write it down.

Things are little different now that the techniques are easy to get written out. I have them all in a binder anyway for reference.

It's good to have when you're teaching something and can't remember if it's stepping forward or backward.

Do you require your students to keep journals?

--Amy
    I always asked my students to purchase a notebook. That was how we always did it, something about writing it down yourself helped with the process to remember the technique.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessRising
    I keep a complete journal of all the techniques, forms, etc. that I learn. I draw pictures write down specific instructions, principles, new secrets that I figure out within the techiques. I write down everything! I also want to work starting a video collection of my training sessions. hopefully i'll find a way to work that out soon.
    Well, I'm going to stand next to you during tests.

--Amy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I have one "2" thick binder full of notes and 2 "1" thick binders as well.... lots of stuff. Not to mention the many many bytes of info I have stored on my PC.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

All students in my school are required to keep some sort of notes or as you call it a "Journal". The reason that we keep them up to date are because when we test for a belt we not only have to be able to perform the 24 techniques for that belt and the sparring re-arrangements for that belt but we also have a written test on the History as well as the concepts and principles on whatever technique is on the test and it is nice to be able to study for the written part of the test. Either that or most of us just bought the "Infinite Insights" From Mrs. Parker (626)799-2305. Allot of the test questions come from there. And like you said Amy, it is nice when you just need to refresh your memory.

Good Question!
    If You Dont Want TO Do The Time, Then Dont Commit The Crime!

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I keep a journal that consists mainly of questions I have that need answers (for pestering Sensei, Sifu, or Sempai with, you see ).

I also write down self-def techs that don't have a name. I hope to start compiling these into some sort of database in the near future, sorted by attack type. Heh.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I tried leeping a journal, but always lent to book out and would never get it back. Luckily I have very close to a photographic memory so I retain most of what I pick up.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Well, I'm going to stand next to you during tests.

--Amy
    Haha. Well I would think it would be myself that would do the learning next to you. Besides I wouldn't want the responsibility of working everything correctly for two people. One is enough pressure for me
    "A warrior's ultimate act is to put down his sword"

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

I don't process visual information very fast so...its difficult for me to take notes because I'm not always sure what I see.

I don't keep a journal. Interestingly though...I don't see anyone in class keeping a journal either. This kind of surprises me because we have a few college professors at my school...you know...folks that are in to note taking.

I had one private lesson where the instructor said that I was welcome to...and probably should...videotape the class. Unfortunately I am one camcorder shy of having that capability....but I think if I can start videotaping a private and then dissecting it at my own speed...that will help a lot.

Thanks

This is a topic that needs to be revisited since we have many new members.

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

We are required to keep a "journal". As I advance I find going back I can add refinements to my original notes. I then type them up and put them in my binder. We also have been playing with some digital video.

Thanks

I have to say, that since the proliferation of videos, I don't feel as big a need to take notes on the techniques. It's lazy, I know, but it's hard to get motivated to take copious notes when I can stick a dvd in the player and watch it done and talked about.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    I have to say, that since the proliferation of videos, I don't feel as big a need to take notes on the techniques. It's lazy, I know, but it's hard to get motivated to take copious notes when I can stick a dvd in the player and watch it done and talked about.

--Amy
    Since my pencil and paper always work (my video camera doesn't) I am much better at writing it down then I am at getting it onto video.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks

I find journals an invaluable tool, you can write your own insights as you explore a technique, and then later on years later you can see if you still feel the same.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    I find journals an invaluable tool, you can write your own insights as you explore a technique, and then later on years later you can see if you still feel the same.
    How very, very true! I was just re-reading my "black-belt thesis" and could definately see that I had evolved past what I had wrote. I think journals are invaluable for that very reason.

Of course, keeping a "video journal" can be invaluable as well. I would recommend doing both actually!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    How very, very true! I was just re-reading my "black-belt thesis" and could definately see that I had evolved past what I had wrote. I think journals are invaluable for that very reason.

Of course, keeping a "video journal" can be invaluable as well. I would recommend doing both actually!
    Well, when you put it that way.....

Every thought and action I do is invaluable. It's true. I should've thought of that before. LOL.

I like the video idea better. For me, seeing is believing and I guess it doesn't matter to me so much if I've changed my mind about something. Because once I've changed it, my former thoughts don't matter to me so much.

--Amy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links