Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royce upset by Hughes in 1st

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Royce upset by Hughes in 1st

1st round defeat. How embarrassing! Here's a pic of Hughes on Gracies back!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Royce upset by Hughes in 1st

great Repect for royce nevertheless

Thanks

I think this fight would have gone a lot differently had there been no time limits or referee stoppage.
    It's not like royce can't take a beating and not come back from it.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

The only thing I'll say is that the title of this thread is completely wrong. This was not an upset. The Gracies had thier run, but thier little world came crashing down around thier feet, long before Matt Hughes embarrassed Royce. Sakuraba, affectionately known as the "gracie hunter" put the first chink in the armor, and the Gracies are simply surviving on reputation, nostalgia, and the adoration of little guys all over the world that started thinking they had a chance to beat up the neighborhood bully because Royce did so in the octagon. Royce, Renzo, Ryan, and Royler all fell to Sakuraba. One dimensional, lacking strength training and conditioning, and believing thier own hype was the undoing of the Gracie reign.

Gracie Jujitsu
    ~RIP~

Gary Catherman

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Excellent point

Quote Originally Posted by kalicombat
    The only thing I'll say is that the title of this thread is completely wrong. This was not an upset. The Gracies had thier run, but thier little world came crashing down around thier feet, long before Matt Hughes embarrassed Royce. Sakuraba, affectionately known as the "gracie hunter" put the first chink in the armor, and the Gracies are simply surviving on reputation, nostalgia, and the adoration of little guys all over the world that started thinking they had a chance to beat up the neighborhood bully because Royce did so in the octagon. Royce, Renzo, Ryan, and Royler all fell to Sakuraba. One dimensional, lacking strength training and conditioning, and believing thier own hype was the undoing of the Gracie reign.

Gracie Jujitsu
    ~RIP~

Gary Catherman
    "Say hello to Susan"
    -SGM Ed Parker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalicombat
    The only thing I'll say is that the title of this thread is completely wrong.
    Gracie Jujitsu
    ~RIP~

Gary Catherman
    Not really.... I saw the post fight interview with Gracie... he was noticeably UPSET! ROFL.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Everyone knew this was the likely outcome of the fight.
    The level of physical training and cross training in other combat styles cannot be ignored.
    Just another Lifelong student Walking the Endless journey of Kenpo.(and Loving it)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thanks

Kazushi Sakuraba

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/G.../sakuraba.html

To quote Darth Vadar ... "Impressive, most impressive".

PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

You know it never fails to amaze me that someone says, “oh they had their run!” If that is true Kenpo died with Ed Parker. Those statements are made by mental midgets who can’t put it on the line and do what Royce or any of the Gracies are willing to do. It is no different then those who say Kenpo is a slap art for bitches and fages. The Gracies have been proving themselves on the streets of Brazil and throughout the world for years. Without them, there would be no MMA, face it. However, they may change their game and a few in there camps are doing so as we speak. Rickson is over 400 and 0. what is your record? Because one brother gets beat does that make them all pussies. If your student gets it handed to him or her in a tournament, does that make you a “Sally” I know my MMA record does not compare, so I’ll shut my pie hole and give them their props. You think they are living in the past, man you have not had your eyes open to the Kenpo world you move in. I’m not saying Royce did not get owned, I am saying Hughes and Gracie are both fighters who put it on the line in front of millions. Much of it for our benefit. Would you be willing to do that?

No one really “cross trained” for "reality" until the Gracie family came along, for that I give them a deep bow, verbal praise and my utmost respect. Kenpo can’t grow until our mindset does as well. God Bless!

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I'll still go down by saying Royce has fought the toughest people in his family on a regular basis for a really long time. He has more experience than Hughes and with greater fighters. I was quite disappointed that Royce lost. Then again, in the pre-fight thing on spike it appears as though he opened his own school somewhere and has been training with one guy . Maybe I'm wrong but he should have been training with his brothers and cousins to prepare for this fight. I've heard many times over that Rickson is the toughest of the bunch. I've seen Renzo fight a couple of times and that guys like a buzzsaw. He should have been training with them. Just my couple of pennies.

Thanks

I was pulling for Royce myself. It would have been great to see him win, I really thought when it went to the ground Hughes was in trouble.

Amazing Royce didn't tap on that armbar, that looked freaking painful!

To bad the days of the old UFC is gone in the US. I liked the no rounds, 2 rules and elimination type event.

Think we will see a Royce vs. Hughes II ?
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Mr. Todd,
    I posted this over on another forum, and thought I'd post it here to show that I might just not be a mental midget.

"I watched the fights last night, and as I thought, Hughes won. Not because he was the better grappler, not because he was the better stand up fighter, not because he used Gracie techniques. He won because he is a MMA Fighter. Not a BJJ fighter, not a Muay Thai fighter, not a weightlifter, nor a cardio maniac, but because he is all of those. He simply won, because he took the lessons of the octagons early years, that an individual has to be well rounded. He has to have good stand up, good groung game, versed in submissions, he has to be physically strong, well conditioned both cardio vascularly and with muscle endurance. He has to be fearless, ruthless, yet, realize that he is competing in a sport and show that sportsmanship to his opponent. Like I said, Matt Hughes has all of these attributes and he showed them well last night. Royce Gracie is a submission/grappling master, no doubt. He showed up last night as such. His stand up was not close to Hughes', his physical strength, gained from weights and calistethics, was not close to Hughes', his cardio training and conditioning was not close to Hughes'. Royce came into a gun fight with knives drawn. He showed up as a Jujitsu fighter -vs- an MMA fighter, and he lost because of it. Age had no bearing, rust had no bearing. He and the rest of the Gracies deserve the credit for exposing the fighting world to the weakness in stand up only, in brawn only, and showing the world that technique does matter. However, the Gracies were exposed to the same thing they showed the world 15 or so years ago in the first couple UFC's; that no single dimension of the fight game is gonna carry anyone to victory.

My hats off to Royce for stepping up, but he should have used some of the knowledge that he imparted on the world in the beginning of the UFC, and came in better prepared to fight a MMA fighter that was carrying all the tools that being an MMA fighter entails.

The real rip off last night was Diego Sanchez getting fed a victory over some no namer that handed him his a$$. Although the UFC has come along way since the favoritism days of the Gracies' reign, that same favoritism reared it's ugly head last night in awarding Sanchez the victory."

With that being said, I'll also say that neither Hughes nor Gracie were in the Octagon last night for bragging rights, or to show anyone anything. They were there for the money. The same reason I paint airplanes, you do what you do, and we all do the things we do to pay the bills.

Furthermore, Ive never competed in any MMA events. I have no interest in it. I have fought in many other places, including arranged fights, but for alot less then Hughes or Gracie recieved last night, and my record of wins -vs- losses is not recorded anywhere, but the fact that I am sitting here at this computer is a testament that I survived.

As far as Rickson, and any or all the other 'R' Gracies and thier current training regiments, you've got me. If they haven't been on PAY PER VIEW, then my chances of seeing them are pretty remote.

Gary Catherman.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    I think this fight would have gone a lot differently had there been no time limits or referee stoppage.
    It's not like royce can't take a beating and not come back from it.
    I don't.

Matt owned him, and Royce was badly outclassed.

I still highly respect the Gracie's, but the fact of the matter is, Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, as represented by Royce Gracie, was defeated big-time.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Can we keep this conversation civil please? Let's not ruin this boards good reputation.

That being said; I was disappointed that the fight was over so quickly and that Gracie gave up his back. I never in a milliaon years thought I'd ever see him do that. That's a cardinal rule of the ground game: Don't give up your back.

As far as speculating as to why the fight went the way it did..... I think Hughes took the fight very seriously considering who he was fighting and Gracie did not take the fight as seriously as he should have. One's training will be reflected in the end...IMHO. jfarnsworth probably hit the nail on the head in his post.

Thanks

CC,

I was very civil about what I said, unless you were referring to someone else.

The fact is: Matt Hughes beat Royce Gracie very easily.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I agree totally that Hughes beat Gracie, but cardio conditioning was not a factor, the "burial" of gracie jiu jitsu was not a factor, it was merely one man beat another.

Gracie Jiu Jitsu did not take a sever beating, Hughes was on the back with hooks in spreading his pivot points and removing his posting limbs, all on the back of the man who showed the world how to do it. HE USED BJJ TOOLS. Can't we just admit that this is not one up on the Gracie's, it was one up for MATT HUGHEs on the Gracies. Not one of us can claim victory unless we go in and do the same ourselves.

I agree with much of the posts, just not with the tone of disrespect and armchair quarterbacking that I hear today. I train in BJJ 4 1/2 hours a week, it is grueling, but very enlightening. I teach and train in American Kenpo the over 50 hours a week. It does not diminish my faith in Kenpo principles, just enhances them.

My next question to all of you would be that since Jeff Newton represented Kenpo in a UFC match, does that mean Bob White and Kenpo Karate took a huge hit in its inability to handle a MMA match? I would say no, but from the tone of many of you, I wonder why you are still here on a Kenpo related board.

By the By many in BJJ camps felt that Royce would lose because of his lack of a standup game. On the other hand, there have been many in the BJJ camps who are critical of Rickson because he uses one and feel that is not a true representation of the "family art." Kinda crazy in my mind. Just the green jealous monster in my mind. Small minds, small hearts and huge egos.

God Bless,
    David Todd

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    I don't.

Matt owned him, and Royce was badly outclassed.

I still highly respect the Gracie's, but the fact of the matter is, Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, as represented by Royce Gracie, was defeated big-time.
    After watching the fight.....I'd hardly say Matt owned him.
    McCarthy stopped the fight prematurely, and being the ref it's his call to do it.
    The UFC is set up for fast exciting match-ups......something Royce isn't known for.
    He plays a slow methodical game and the weak punches Matt was throwing to the back of his head wouldn't have mattered much.

Thanks

In my mind, and in the way I approach instruction, one should train to be prepared for any consideration. The ground game is one of many ranges that must be addressed. I actually studied Jiu-Jitsu prior to taking up Kenpo.

I am a Kenpoist. I define what I am as it is within the Encylcopedia: an up to date, all-inclusive version of Kenpo, based on logic and practicality, that has been designed to cope with the mode of fighting prevalent on our streets today.

Therefore, I submit to you, that if your training does not involve a ground-game, then it is incomplete. In that same vein, if one neglects thier stand-up training in favor of focusing wholely on thier ground game, they too are deficient.

IMHO =-)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    After watching the fight.....I'd hardly say Matt owned him.
    McCarthy stopped the fight prematurely, and being the ref it's his call to do it.
    The UFC is set up for fast exciting match-ups......something Royce isn't known for.
    He plays a slow methodical game and the weak punches Matt was throwing to the back of his head wouldn't have mattered much.
    Coming from a guy who learned from Royce at the Torrance academy, and as such has a fond nostalgic connection to Royce, I would have to disagree that the fight was stopped too soon. I've watched it closely several times; you can see Royce keeping his hands at his ears (so to speak) to block attempts at chokes while getting hit; an O.K. response if you think you're being punched as a distractor to get you to give up a choke. A couple (2, to be specific) of elbows land, and his arms start to go soft, aiming aimlessly to the area to his sides. He started to TKO, McCarthy saw it, and stopped the fight before the third, and most solid blow of the series, could land (Hughes clearly had found his striking groove, and was prepping to land a solid, solid elbow if Royce moved). Royce's orientation started to suffer from head shots, and I'm glad the fight was stopped when it was.

I can only think that Royce kept thinking he would have time to wriggle out of these positions he gave up, but didn't count on getting popped quite as often as he did, or the effect it would have on his clarity.

Regards,

Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links