Thread: Kicking to the legs

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Kicking to the legs

As an Instructor, when do you start working on having students kick to the legs in drills, and in sparring?

Thanks!
    " Come with me, and I will complete your trainning."

Thanks

Default Re: Kicking to the legs

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kenpo
    As an Instructor, when do you start working on having students kick to the legs in drills, and in sparring?

Thanks!
    With techniques, yes, but I don't think I know what you mean.

I don't kick to the legs in sparring. I thought it wasn't generally allowed. Maybe I'm confused.

-Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    With techniques, yes, but I don't think I know what you mean.

I don't kick to the legs in sparring. I thought it wasn't generally allowed. Maybe I'm confused.

-Amy
    Well, such as doing some leg conditioning and with other drills. But we don't get too carried away with it, even in sparring. I don't want all my people to get too messed up within class!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kenpo
    Well, such as doing some leg conditioning and with other drills. But we don't get too carried away with it, even in sparring. I don't want all my people to get too messed up within class!
    Leg conditioning, as in, beating your legs until you feel no pain or leg conditioning as in lots of kicks?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

I think it should be introduced right away. I also think that some sort of conditioning is good for the lower leg. A low leg kick is one of your best self defense weapons.
    An accidental clashing of shins on an unconditioned leg is a terrible thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Right off the bat. I make it a point when teaching strikes to stress proper targets for different types of strikes to ensure maximum effectiveness for your effort. I don't reccommend kicking anyone above the waist line (the reasoning would be a topic for a different thread.) That doesn't mean we don't kick to the head, it's just usually after we've done something to break thier height zone down to the point where it would be at about waist level or lower! LOL.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

From an old ITF guy to another... You know as well as I that students have to get the technique down first before they start kicking someone in the leg. A roundhouse isn't just throwing your leg out there and slowly introduce them.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Leg conditioning, as in, beating your legs until you feel no pain or leg conditioning as in lots of kicks?

--Amy
    Just more in getting used to getting kicked there, taking a bit of punishment.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    From an old ITF guy to another... You know as well as I that students have to get the technique down first before they start kicking someone in the leg. A roundhouse isn't just throwing your leg out there and slowly introduce them.
    So true. BTW, good to hear from you. Thanks for the response!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    That doesn't mean we don't kick to the head, it's just usually after we've done something to break thier height zone down to the point where it would be at about waist level or lower! LOL.
    I don't believe in kicking above my waist either. Why strain myself when it's easier to bring them down to my level.

And if you bring them all the way down, you can stomp instead. Easier on the leg muscles. Gravity and all.....

lol

--Amy

Thanks

I don't believe in kicking above my waist either. Why strain myself when it's easier to bring them down to my level.
    Not a strain if you can do it without any problems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    Not a strain if you can do it without any problems.
    I can do it. Pllllll. I would hate to leave my goin open though to get kicked.

Throw a kick and I'll show you what I mean.

--Amy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I just think it's a bad idea to hand your leg to someone. You sacrifice having it trapped and giving up 1/2 of your base. The idea is to stay off of the ground in a self defence scenario. Especially where multiple attackers are involved. My 0.02
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

I dont know.. there is a time and place for it all.. there may be a time when good round kick to the ribs will be your best or only option at that moment .. so best to be able to do it.. is it always going to be the best option.. likely not.. but just incase...
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

And if you bring them all the way down, you can stomp instead. Easier on the leg muscles. Gravity and all.....

lol

--Amy
    Both my instructor in Biloxi and Las Vegas have said the same thing: "If I want to kick someone in the head, I'll put them on the ground first."
    Kind of like what you're saying.
    At our school, we generally don't kick to the legs while sparring Purples and under. For tech's we show the kicks to the legs, but we don't kick the lower belts very hard.

Thanks

I can do it. Pllllll. I would hate to leave my groin open though to get kicked.

Throw a kick and I'll show you what I mean.
    Keep one hand low, just in case. However, if you use it in a serious of attacks you shouldn't have a problem.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links