Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Kicks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Check Kicks

Who likes using check kicks. When do you find your self using them the most.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: Check Kicks

by check kicks do you mean checking other peoples kicks with your own legs? If so.. ALWAYS.. for me anyway.. then again i am pretty tall and can jam/check most peoples kicks with little effort as long as I am close enough that way I never have to drop my guard.

hi Rob.. how ya been?
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

A check kick is where you use the sole of your foot to stop the incoming kick of your attacker.

Long time no see Mr. Bunny.
    Last edited by Rob Broad; 12-22-2006 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks

ahh interesting... I learned to use your knee or shin to attack their thigh to check the kick... same concept as striking the shoulder to kill a punch. But this was back when I was doing Goshin Ju-jitsu and Mui thai.

I would think using just your foot would run the risk of missing the check and then your pretty screwed.
    guess thats why you practice :P

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

When employing a check kick your foot is perpendicular to the incoming kick, which gives you a larger surface to absorb the kick.

Thanks

Ok.. I can see that for front snap and round.. but what about the thrusting side, hook, axe, inside or outside crecent?

Humm... when you are checking their attack.. with your foot even when it is perpendicular.. are you catching them at their ankle, shin, knee...?

-JTHM

Thanks

You usually check at their shin. And since all kicks start with the knee coming up you can check early and stop this action which will disrupt their forward momentum.

Thanks

hurmmm.... thinking bout this one... true .. all kicks start with that chamber... but differant kicks have differant chamber for the correct placment of a kick.

Was going to use a fencing example but not everyone knows positions 1-8..

Fist concern that popped in my head was checking a side kick... if chambered correctly then you only have the bottom of their foot facing you and comming at you in a direct line. Checking that with yoru foot would have to come across or down.. and with that you runt he risk of the kick and your check runing parrellel.

Timming on a crecent or axe would be really difficult as soon as you see the chamber and got your foot there in time to check it the foot has been brought arround or up for the axe.

I'll have to try it out tonight... but I have to say that i think you might find a little more success in attacking the Femoral artry on the inside of the thigh or outer edge of the quads to stop kicks.

That said.. those checks do not work in sparing tourny as much as real situation fighting.. their kicks will still come off and they could get a "point" but it will have no power if you strike the thigh first.

***Disclamer***

If you are going to practice checking a kick by using your knee or shin to attack the inside of their thigh... BE CAREFUL!!! you don't want to break your friend. Getting hit there really really sucks. Personally I would rather take a shot to the groin than a good knee to the Femoral. Or more specifically the greater Saphenous Vein which is mid way down the inside of your thigh.

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

i usually do something like this weather its like MrBunny said with the knee and shin.. or i will do almost like a front or sidie kick to stop their legs momentum when they start to move it like a kick..

i like leg kicks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I find it most useful as an opponent chambers for a side or possible round kick. It's easier to target the side of thier thigh at that time or even the side of thier knee. IMHO Also creates quite an angle of disturbance. BTW, long time no see Mr. Bunny. Hope all is well.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I do not use them.

Thanks

Just got out of class and was working with a 4th black on this... the checks to the shin work if you are able to predict or even strike before the kick is thrown. Using the check as a defensive check is not fast enough unless you check at the knee, thigh, or hip... except in the case of the round or more commonly the front snap ... but I am sure that is due to the angle of the kick comming in.

Hooks, axe, crecent, side... all had to be checked at the knee or higher to be effective.

Just my 2 coppers.

and it is good to be back.. missed you all.. that horrid thing called life stepped in.

-JTHM

Thanks

I was reading this older thread and it brought up a few questions. I have a habit (donít know if this is good or bad) but in sparring and a kick it thrown at me if I canít kick their foot or leg as the kick starts IE I didnít see the start of the kick. Or if I just wasnít fast enough to beat them to the kick then I use my knee to block or even brush off the kick and look for a way to the inside.

Granted I donít show up too spar as much as I should but thatís another thread as the reasons are long.

Any words of wisdom?
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

It's good you brought this thread up. I'm not sure if I've ever used a check kick.

I've seen it sort of as an offensive movement do to a front stomp, but never as a check.

Sounds like it would hurt less than with the shin. Those shin check deals hurt.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,483 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hemi View Post
    I have a habit (donít know if this is good or bad) but in sparring and a kick it thrown at me if I canít kick their foot or leg as the kick starts IE I didnít see the start of the kick. Or if I just wasnít fast enough to beat them to the kick then I use my knee to block or even brush off the kick and look for a way to the inside.

Any words of wisdom?
    makes sense to me.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: Check Kicks

Quote Originally Posted by gixxershane View Post
    i usually do something like this weather its like MrBunny said with the knee and shin.. or i will do almost like a front or sidie kick to stop their legs momentum when they start to move it like a kick..

i like leg kicks
    I was going to put something but gixxershane got it for me AND I LOVE LEG KICKS!!!
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hemi View Post
    I was reading this older thread and it brought up a few questions. I have a habit (donít know if this is good or bad) but in sparring and a kick it thrown at me if I canít kick their foot or leg as the kick starts IE I didnít see the start of the kick. Or if I just wasnít fast enough to beat them to the kick then I use my knee to block or even brush off the kick and look for a way to the inside.

Granted I donít show up too spar as much as I should but thatís another thread as the reasons are long.

Any words of wisdom?
    Instead of jamming with the shin or knee on their shin, which can cause damage to both of you, try using the bottom of your foot on their shin or ankle, no pain for you, lots of pain for them if they are kicking really hard and not wearing safety gear.

What I really like about check kicks is they can be defensive your opponent starts to move and you check their leg to break their momentum. Butu another great use for this is offensively, your attacker is posturing to attack, and you tap them in the shin with the bottom of your foot and their momentum is broken, and often their spirit too.

Thanks

Great tips Rob, I havenít had a lot of real instruction in sparring so many of the ideas and things I try when on the mat are just that experiments.

Back in the day my old TKD instructor didnít instruct he just watched and would sometimes get on the mat himself and just hurt people. He was not a very good instructor. So when I fought, back then it was more of a street fight with pads on. I never got real sparring instruction just bloody and bruised .
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I've used them when I get caught out at the end of the leg and can't get in tight fast enough. Very effective and no pain unlike blocking with your knee/shin. I still much prefer to move in on a kick to negate its power and trap and catch the leg.

Thanks

For those who do not have access to an instructor who can teach them to check kick properly, I would seek out someone to teach you Tiger & Crane. This form is what really secured my knowledge for the check kick. At worst and if you can't find someone to teach you Tiger & Crane break down and buy the Tracy's Tiger & Crane Instructional tape, they cover a lot of info on the check kick when teaching the form.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links