Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The one thing

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default The one thing

If you could only pick one thing that attracts you to Kenpo what would it be? Could it be the workout, friendships, balance, focus etc etc.

For me I would have to say that it would be balance. I am definetly a more balanced person since I started.
    Last edited by Kenpobldr; 05-15-2006 at 12:49 PM.
    Heart is the differance between those who attempt and those who achieve.

Train hard.... pain is weakness leaving the body.

Thanks

Default Re: The one thing

I like it that it's a way to workout and think at the same time. I tried aerobics years ago and it required no thought.

I need to think while I move or I just get bored.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I like the sound effects. That oomph as you hit someone, is just such a thrill.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I like the sound effects. That oomph as you hit someone, is just such a thrill.
    LOL!

Okay, that one got me.

Isn't it funny though the different sounds people make when they hit someone? Everybody has their own little sound. Tatum does a 'whip whip' sound. Everyone has different ones. It's like being on a Batman re-run.

Too funny.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

ello all.. been far too long...

I think I had more ballance in Tang soo do... but Kenpo does have a much better flow of synchronized attacks I am finding I am hitting 3 to 4 times faster then I ever have.. ... kinda creepy really.
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I can hit people and not go to jail for it.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    I can hit people and not go to jail for it.
    So far.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

The knowledge.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpobldr
    If you could only pick one thing that attracts you to Kenpo what would it be? Could it be the workout, friendships, balance, focus etc etc.

For me I would have to say that it would be balance. I am definetly a more balanced person since I started.
    It's a complete system with actual answers to questions instead of "becasue I was taught that way".

The Why and the Brotherhood.

Salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

the princibles and concepts is what got me hooked

Thanks

In all seriousness...there's not just one thing. I don't beleive I could pinpoint one specific aspect that I prefer more than another.

There have been apsects that have meant more to me at certain times in my training than others, but that changes as do all things. At this time in my life it's the stress relief and camaraderie.

Early on I was attracted by the shear logic and effectiveness of the science of Kenpo.

At another time, I was attracted by the patience and discipline gained from practicing the art of Kenpo.

I have become too entertwined with Kenpo over the years to separate any one thing as being the most important. It's part of my personality, inflluences my decisions and ethics...everything I can tell you one thing with certainty though.... I get really cranky if I'm forced to miss too many classes or workouts!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

In all seriousness...there's not just one thing. I don't beleive I could pinpoint one specific aspect that I prefer more than another.

There have been apsects that have meant more to me at certain times in my training than others, but that changes as do all things. At this time in my life it's the stress relief and camaraderie.

Early on I was attracted by the shear logic and effectiveness of the science of Kenpo.

At another time, I was attracted by the patience and discipline gained from practicing the art of Kenpo.

I have become too entertwined with Kenpo over the years to separate any one thing as being the most important. It's part of my personality, inflluences my decisions and ethics...everything I can tell you one thing with certainty though.... I get really cranky if I'm forced to miss too many classes or workouts!
    I hear ya on that one. There's so much in kenpo that's valuable. I love having a place to go where there are friends to talk to. I love having something to think about when I'm exercising. I love knowing that I'm safe walking down the street because I don't walk like a victim. I love knowing that there's always another option or another way of working something. There's always a way to make it better.

Not to mention, that knowing kenpo does give one some snazzy dance moves. Try rounding the lines of short or long 2 and putting it to music. Too cool.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

There is no one thing for me. I like it all. But I do know what the first thing that attracted me was. It was the speed and fluidity. Just watching a Kenpo practitioner at full speed was enough to spark my interest. I love when someone asks me to show them something and I run through a technique real quick and they say "...do that again"

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

The art itself. It has done so much for me, and can never be taken away. I am truly fortunate, and honored to be among such dedicated practitioners here on KenpoTalk!

Respects to all!
    " Come with me, and I will complete your trainning."

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

There have been apsects that have meant more to me at certain times in my training than others, but that changes as do all things.
    I have to agree with this. Kenpo has meant many different things throughout my training.

I started in 1985 because I was talked by friends into taking up Kenpo after two attacks the same week while in college. That was, for me, a purely physical reason (I only cared whether Kenpo would work). It fit with my personality (I love being active in sports). I also had anger, hatred, and fear issues at the time resulting from the experiences, so being able to hit was, umm, a way to therapeutically channel these emotions. As time passed, I built up trust and became good friends with my Kenpo brothers and sisters, training then was for camaraderie and learning to differentiate logic/emotion. When I became a dojo orphan twice, I had to actively seek out other studios. It was hard to start over at white twice, but for me, it was a test of will and patience. There were other times I trained for textbook knowledge (analysis of the why and how).

Now I train (currently at my 5th studio) to develop who I am physically, mentally, psychologically, and morally. In other words, I am looking at all aspects of Kenpo and how it effects me, not just in the studio, but also with other facets of my life.

It's been a long journey. I recently got my 2nd brown yesterday. How much more sweeter the day will be when I get my black... and continue training beyond that.

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

Thanks

Outstanding Ceicei! Congratulations!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ceicei
    When I became a dojo orphan twice, I had to actively seek out other studios. It was hard to start over at white twice, but for me, it was a test of will and patience.

It's been a long journey. I recently got my 2nd brown yesterday. How much more sweeter the day will be when I get my black... and continue training beyond that.

- Ceicei
    Congratulations on the promotion. Why did you have to start over at white? I've been to about 10 schools and I've never started over. It's customary for the school to let you stay at your rank for awhile until you prove yourself or until they decide what rank you should be. (I haven't lost rank yet. )

--Amy

Thanks

The first three studios let me keep my rank. By then, I was a purple and ready to test for blue when my studio closed down. The fourth studio insisted I start over even though the instructor was on the test panels at my first and third studios. With my current studio, it was after a seven year absence. It was better to start over again anyway, because I saw how he taught and I wanted a clean slate.

- Ceicei

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ceicei
    The first three studios let me keep my rank. By then, I was a purple and ready to test for blue when my studio closed down. The fourth studio insisted I start over even though the instructor was on the test panels at my first and third studios. With my current studio, it was after a seven year absence. It was better to start over again anyway, because I saw how he taught and I wanted a clean slate.

- Ceicei
    That's weird that he would make you start over. I took six years off last time, but I was at brown and I remembered about 75% or more of my material, so I was okay. It took about a year to get back up to speed on everything.

Sounds like it's working out for you though. Can't go wrong with going over more basics and early material.

--Amy

Thanks

Well, politics did play a part between the studios, but I won't say much more though, because they're all good people.

It turned out better the way things happened anyway. I think it was meant to be. If I could turn back the clock, I don't think I would change anything, because I am a stronger and better person for all that I went through. I got very well grounded with basics. By the time I came to my current studio, I was ready to learn more than just how kenpo moves.

The instructor I have now really knows how to get me to train intensely and push myself further than I imagined. Basically, he believed in me and made sure I knew that.

My reasons for training changed with each studio.

- Ceicei

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links