Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plateaus

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Plateaus

We reach plateaus in our training, how do you reach beyond the plateaus and start climbing to unkown areas in your training.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Plateaus

i just try to work with people that are of much greater knowedge and skill than my self.. but im only an under belt rank..

im going to start to video tape myself to help me see my own mistakes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    We reach plateaus in our training, how do you reach beyond the plateaus and start climbing to unkown areas in your training.
    Ask advice!

In the past I have been ridiculed for working with more than one Kenpo instructor at a time. I try to work with as many as possible to get different perspectives from each person. Many times during a plateau in my training I have asked adviced and it has always benefited me.

Salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

A lesson with Mr. Planas will let you know that you really don't know much at all about Kenpo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    A lesson with Mr. Planas will let you know that you really don't know much at all about Kenpo.
    I don't doubt it. Every seminar I attend I come away saying WOW! I need to practice more!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Mr. Planas always makes me feel like a white belt after every seminar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate
    Ask advice!

In the past I have been ridiculed for working with more than one Kenpo instructor at a time. I try to work with as many as possible to get different perspectives from each person. Many times during a plateau in my training I have asked adviced and it has always benefited me.

Salute,
    You get grief for working with more than one instructor? Strange people around you. If I had many to choose from, I'd be all over it. That's what seminars and camps are for. Lots of input. You never know when something will stick.

I would say to do something different for a bit. Go workout with someone new. Watch a video. Make a video and watch it. Do something in a different way.

Ever try to do staff set slowly? I figure that if I can't do something slow, then I don't know it very well. I tried to teach staff set recently and I couldn't figure it out unless I did it fast first. Guess I need more work on staff set.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    You get grief for working with more than one instructor? Strange people around you. If I had many to choose from, I'd be all over it. That's what seminars and camps are for. Lots of input. You never know when something will stick.

I would say to do something different for a bit. Go workout with someone new. Watch a video. Make a video and watch it. Do something in a different way.

Ever try to do staff set slowly? I figure that if I can't do something slow, then I don't know it very well. I tried to teach staff set recently and I couldn't figure it out unless I did it fast first. Guess I need more work on staff set.

--Amy
    The people that have given me the grief made claims that the "other" senior did not have the whole picture. I won't to into details it would start a feud and there is to much of that already.

So I now belong to two less associations than I used to but that is O.K.

Staff set slow is my normal speed ... heck I can't do it fast!!! LOL!!

Salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate
    The people that have given me the grief made claims that the "other" senior did not have the whole picture. I won't to into details it would start a feud and there is to much of that already.
    Some people are so small. It doesn't matter if the senior (or junior) is right or wrong; it matters if you were made to think about what was said. What they say is just their opinion anyway. If it's true for you, you'll know it and it'll stick. If not, it won't. Ultimately, everybody has to draw their own conclusions.

<head shaking>

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Some people are so small. It doesn't matter if the senior (or junior) is right or wrong; it matters if you were made to think about what was said. What they say is just their opinion anyway. If it's true for you, you'll know it and it'll stick. If not, it won't. Ultimately, everybody has to draw their own conclusions.

<head shaking>

--Amy
    I agree I am just doing my best to enjoy my journey!

Salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Observe, evaluate, explore. I observe what I do and what other do. I evaluate the material (even if I have done it a millian times) and the material of others. I explore what I've learned and what others have to teach me.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Definitely time to revive this thread since we have so many more members these days.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Providing its only physical I just may need to have a 2-week break,

Or Alternatively my remedy for this is to increase my training with a moving form of chi gong for a few months, it re- enforces me to listen to my body with a renewed focus, whist developing certain characteristics that complement my Kenpo.

Cheers
    Damien

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Ah the plateaus, or as I like to call them, MA burnouts. Hitting those plateaus has been one of those on going problems i've had. Whenever I hit a plateau I can feel myself getting stagnant and I feel as if im just average instead of pleased with my abilities. I usually just work through them because I know they will pass but the thing that usually snaps me out of them is learning something new or relearning techniques. When I am able to do that It feels like I've found another dimension to my kenpo and revives it for me.
    "A warrior's ultimate act is to put down his sword"

Thanks

yea... those can suck...

I too watch martial arts movies to get inspired.. also going to a new class has helped with getting stagnet..

now if I can just get help with the bruises.... LOL
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny
    yea... those can suck...

I too watch martial arts movies to get inspired.. also going to a new class has helped with getting stagnet..

now if I can just get help with the bruises.... LOL
    I'm with you on that! Can't wait for camp. Camp is great for getting you excited about stuff. Plus, it's new instructors and new ideas. Just great.

--Amy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 610 Posts

I've found that when faced with a plateau in my training if I concentrate on improving what I consider to be a weak area, the other facets of my training will be pulled along and soon Ill be over the plateau. Works for me probably 90% of the time.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (11-05-2007)

Thanks

I thought I would revive this thread I started a while ago. We have a lot more members now maybe some new perspective will help.

And

Are Plateaus really than bad?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    I thought I would revive this thread I started a while ago. We have a lot more members now maybe some new perspective will help.

And

Are Plateaus really than bad?
    I've hit a number of plateaus during my brief tenure in kenpo. I really think this is where you learn exceptionally valuable lessons regarding perseverance and self discipline. It's easy to get discouraged and many people give up. Listen to your teacher(s), keep grinding and don't give up. You'll get through it eventually and the change will be noticeable, if not dramatic.

Swearing at yourself is a noticeable side effect of being stuck on a plateau.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks

I have always found this to be an important topic since we are always hitting plateaus in our training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links