Thread: Padding Doesn't Always Help

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Padding Doesn't Always Help

Wednesday night a student of mine, who runs his own dojo, was experimenting with some of the advanced striking that I have been teaching him. He was planning on running through some of the various techniques I teach and had one of his more advanced students put on a protective vest.

His plan was to have his uke attack a little harder so he could get a better feel of where he needs improvements. His uke attacked was struck once in the midsection with a palm strike right to the vest.

The student immediately began to feel intense pain and began to spasm a bit. They drove him to the ER and a CT scan revealed a bruised liver. The doctor would not believe that he only hit his student with his hand. The doctor said that the injury looked more like the guy was struck with a staff or some other kind of weapon.

I think this is a good lesson for all who teach martial arts. When we develop our skills we must also develop self-control. We must know that we do have the ability to hurt someone and having that ability is a burden to the responsible teacher. And we must remember that the protective vests and other gear sold are not meant to prevent intentional strikes from hurting. They are really meant to help protect against accidents.

With respect,
    John Evans

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Padding Doesn't Always Help

Yowtch!! A lesson learned by all involved I guess. Hope the guy recovers okay.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

The doctor says he'll be fully recovered in about a week.

Thanks

just the reason for exercising caution when practicing. It's easy to forget the power generated by the body when everything is aligned correctly, or the damage that can happen when it isn't.
    Hanshi Juchnik showed me a picture of a guy's lower leg that had multiple fractures because he didn't take Hanshi seriously when he told him to throw his secondary punch slowly.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

That's why I invested sometime back in to "Fist Gear." It can take the punishment, but don't do what I what do;always being the one that wears the suit, it'll wear you out within 30 min!
    " Come with me, and I will complete your trainning."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kenpo
    That's why I invested sometime back in to "Fist Gear." It can take the punishment, but don't do what I what do;always being the one that wears the suit, it'll wear you out within 30 min!
    Fist gear is nice stuff. I only buy vinul or leather gear these days the foam stuff does not hold up.

Salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kosho-Monk

His plan was to have his uke attack a little harder so he could get a better feel of where he needs improvements. His uke attacked was struck once in the midsection with a palm strike right to the vest.

The student immediately began to feel intense pain and began to spasm a bit. They drove him to the ER and a CT scan revealed a bruised liver.
    With respect,
    John Evans
    John,

Don't take this the wrong way, but that really wasn't a very good idea in the first place.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I've heard this refered to as "The Fear." Not a fear of other people or being attacked, but rather it is the realization of what ones training and skill can literally do to another human being. It is scary.

Training gear is no garauntee against injury but regardless injuries to happen. I hope the student is doing o.k.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

I once got a punch to the kidney from my instructor (who was trying to get me to fight my way out of a corner). The punch was so hard that I was just shy of peeing blood and I ended up at the doctor the next day, when I was still in pain.

Not a good thing.

Just one punch.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links