Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finger Strikes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Finger Strikes

Other than striking to the neck, face and eyes, how effective are finger strikes. Do spear hands to the solar plexus or the groin work?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: Finger Strikes

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Do spear hands to the solar plexus or the groin work?
    For most martial artists no, hence the change in Five Swords from a spear hand to an uppercut.

But here is a tip for everyone, don't ask Grandmaster George Dillman if spear hands work to the solar plexus or groin.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Good to know.

I think they are very effective if you practice doing them in a bucket of sand for an hour a day. Then they will be strong and powerful.

Same with Claw striks.

I, personally, haven't done it, but I've been hit by someone who has.

Ugh.

Don't ask Grandmaster Ray Arquilla if they work either.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Other than striking to the neck, face and eyes, how effective are finger strikes. Do spear hands to the solar plexus or the groin work?
    Groin? Sure, but a punch or palm is better. Solar plexus can work, too, as long as you have some basic hand strength and perform the technique correctly. In most cases, though, a punch is preferable to get the muscular reflex you want. A spearhand is really more of a shoving deescalation technique there. It creates enough discomfort to move the person back without having to close your hand.

On a side note, I see lots of people just getting the correct hand formation and then leaving it like that. For any open-fingered techniques your hand really should be engaged and flexing into the target at point of impact instead of keeping one shape.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I consider finger strikes as "soft strikes" and only being effective against "soft targets." A spear hand to the groing would probably be effective. But the solor plexus? Probably not for the most part.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    I consider finger strikes as "soft strikes" and only being effective against "soft targets." A spear hand to the groing would probably be effective. But the solor plexus? Probably not for the most part.
    A spearhand to the solar plexis done by someone with strong fingers can be devastating. All the wind completely knocked out of you. You squirming on the floor ready to vomit.

It's cool.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    A spearhand to the solar plexis done by someone with strong fingers can be devastating. All the wind completely knocked out of you. You squirming on the floor ready to vomit.

It's cool.

--Amy
    Your fingers are only so strong. I agree finger stikes should only be delivered to soft objects, unless you want to break some fingers (no offence CC LOL). I would rather use a middle knuckle to the solar plex.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong

It's cool.

--Amy
    Yeah, but anyone can get the same effect from a good center knuckle or basic punch. Besides...what if the guy's abs are just as strong as your fingers? LOL
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I usually restrict my spearhands to soft targets like the throat. I don't really condition my fingers to apply them on harder targets but it can be done. Theres a video i've seen where a karateka breaks a board with his index and middle fingers. I'll post it once I find it again. Another good soft target that hasn't been mentioned yet is the armpit. I've been struck there with a spear hand and it was definitely effective enough for me to not want it demonstrated on me again

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Heres that video I mentioned above. The finger strike is when they are introducing all the masters.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+advertisement

Thanks

I was just going to mention the armpit.. definatly effective.. also the spot in the shoulder just where the pec, shoulder and collarbone meet.. it is really hard to hit and takes allot of practice to hit correctly but it is way cool.

Try using your figner tips and tag yourself in that general area to find it... trust me.. you'll know when you do... that arm stops working right for a moment... tee hee hee... it's little things like that that I love about the human body.

But it is such a small target area you almost have to use a finger technique to hit it.
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

One has to really appreciate the precision and control it takes to effectively execute the majority of most finger strikes. While I am aware of a good many of these strikes, my personal repetoire consists of simple eye pokes, throat shots, or groin strikes. I would never use a whip. Just not me. I'm more of a "blunt force trauma" kind of guy.

Thanks

aww see.. I love whips... they just entertains me....

I think it is the fact that to see it done it really does not look like it should hurt as much as it does. ... untill you feel it. heheh
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Lets see what some our our newer members have to say about this topic.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

While Shaolin Kempo Karate does include a number of spear hands and pokes we have been steadily removing them from what we teach at our school.

We do however favor the use of seizing, twisting, gouging, and whatever you call it when you get your fingers in behind someone's clavicle or rib cage and pull on it, and other stuff like that. These also take good string fingers but offer little chance of breaking your own stupid fingers, especially in training.

-D
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessRising View Post
    Heres that video I mentioned above. The finger strike is when they are introducing all the masters.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+advertisement
    Ive always loved that clip, Uechi Ryu especially demonstrated by Shinjo Sensei is always impressive and powerful.

Little bit clearer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUa9nSTujV
    Last edited by unshackled-chi; 01-09-2010 at 05:02 AM.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post

I think everyone already mentioned they Ideal target areas for finger strikes, and the absolute need for Hojo Undo training to make the fingers into the weapons they need to be for this method of striking.

The chinese frown on conditioning the fingers and especially the tips due to thier thoughts on health , specifically it being bad for the eyes according to thier understanding of the meridians.

I study the Okinawan style of Goju Ryu and while i practice Hojo Undo, i dont condition the finger tips more than "finger tip push ups" , as mentioned when using finger strikes i choose a soft target such as the neck and eyes (mainly eyes)

Having said that, my instructor however does condition his fingers and has done so for over 30 years and a few targets that havent been mentioned yet, that i can attest for thier effectiveness IF the fingers have been condintioned into basically rebar are,..in between ribs, the bladder area (right inside of the hips) , inner thighs, presssure points of the face such as Dokko, Genkon, Jinchu, Kasumi and Mimi.

Odd as it may sound, even the forehead. In some very mildly combative situations if one had put the time in to condition thier fingers into rebar a solid poke to the forehead or even breast bone could get a message across and possibly detour any further conflict.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to unshackled-chi For This Useful Post:

punisher73 (01-09-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,265 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unshackled-chi View Post
    I think everyone already mentioned they Ideal target areas for finger strikes, and the absolute need for Hojo Undo training to make the fingers into the weapons they need to be for this method of striking.

The chinese frown on conditioning the fingers and especially the tips due to thier thoughts on health , specifically it being bad for the eyes according to thier understanding of the meridians.

I study the Okinawan style of Goju Ryu and while i practice Hojo Undo, i dont condition the finger tips more than "finger tip push ups" , as mentioned when using finger strikes i choose a soft target such as the neck and eyes (mainly eyes)

Having said that, my instructor however does condition his fingers and has done so for over 30 years and a few targets that havent been mentioned yet, that i can attest for thier effectiveness IF the fingers have been condintioned into basically rebar are,..in between ribs, the bladder area (right inside of the hips) , inner thighs, presssure points of the face such as Dokko, Genkon, Jinchu, Kasumi and Mimi.

Odd as it may sound, even the forehead. In some very mildly combative situations if one had put the time in to condition thier fingers into rebar a solid poke to the forehead or even breast bone could get a message across and possibly detour any further conflict.
    I agree, you have to temper the weapon to be able to use it. It can be a devastating strike if you have taken the time to perfect both technique, application and weapon.

On the other hand, some people choose to spend more time conditioning other ways and perfecting other techniques. Some people would rather develop a punch that breaks whatever it hits.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

20. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

unshackled-chi (01-09-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    I agree, you have to temper the weapon to be able to use it. It can be a devastating strike if you have taken the time to perfect both technique, application and weapon.

On the other hand, some people choose to spend more time conditioning other ways and perfecting other techniques. Some people would rather develop a punch that breaks whatever it hits.
    Yezzer !

Thanks

i cant remember the name of the strike, but its your middle finger ontop of your index finger. the "hooks" in finger set.. i've used that to dart at gaps between muscles (in the shoulder, leg, arm, arm pit), or even in the side while just fooling around with friends... you can get some good cramping action, even just from controlled, hard pokes.

i would imagine if i did finger conditioning, and were attacking specifics, instead of just generalities, it would be alot worse for them :-p
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links