Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Sweeps

What is your favorite sweep and why?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Sweeps

An "Aikido Tilt" because the opponent cannot break thier fall as well because you have one of thier arms pinned against the side of thier head.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    An "Aikido Tilt" because the opponent cannot break thier fall as well because you have one of thier arms pinned against the side of thier head.
    Is that like a shiho nage?

Thanks

I like the reverse sweep. It is so easy to step a little farther back after striking your opponent to take his leg out from under him.

Thanks

I was showing someone a sweep in a third brown technique and as I was demonstrating it, he decided to practice it at exactly the same time, in the same general area.

We banged legs like nobody's business. A week later and my shin is still bruised and sore.

At least I know we were doing it with intention. Ugh.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    Is that like a shiho nage?
    Yes. Just continue with the rotation and drive your leg back through thiers. It's great! They end up almost horizontal in the air before crashing down to the ground! Like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football while Lucy holds it. ROFL. I've just gotten used to calling it an "Aikido Tilt" due to the origin and position of the body with the sweep.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I was showing someone a sweep in a third brown technique and as I was demonstrating it, he decided to practice it at exactly the same time, in the same general area.

We banged legs like nobody's business. A week later and my shin is still bruised and sore.

At least I know we were doing it with intention. Ugh.

--Amy
    Been there. My right shin feels like a topigraphical map from shin to shin conatct over the years.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I'd have to say my favorite is what we refer to as a "rear sliding-leg sweep" (the one from Tripping Arrow). I like this one because it's very versatile, it can be added to a variety of techniques. It also leaves you in a great position for kicks and knee-drops once your opponent is on the ground.
    A couple of the variations that I like (compared to the way we do it in the technique) are to do a "choke-slam" where you use a web-hand to the throat instead of a palm heel to the chin/jaw. I also like a forearm strike to the throat as you sweep. If you "pop" your leg a little as you strike the face or throat, their head will hit the ground before the rest of their body...nasty
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I can't really recall the proper name for it but its a knifehand to the throat or chest while simultaneously executing a low round kick to the back of the legs. Nothing too fancy but it gets the job done.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links