Thread: The IKKA patch

Thanks

Default The IKKA patch

If anyone is interested here is the explination of the details on the IKKA patch

Tiger: represents spiratual strength which is obtained by the number of years of training.
    Dragon: the ultimate goal of Kenpo. With this attitude an individual will not be afraid of the opponent, but he is afraid of what he can do to the opponent.
    Circle: It depicts life itseld, a contunuous cycle where there is no begining or end. This is the same cycle of kenpo there ius a cycle of perpetual and undending movement. All moves in kenpo evolve from a circle. It also represents the bond of friendship that should continualy exist amoung kenpo practitioners.
    Dividing line: they represent the origonal eighteen hand movements. THe angles from which an opponent or you can attack or defend. And it forms the patter in which the feet can travel.
    The colors
    Gray: the circle is gray because it is symbolic of the brain of the IKKA.
    White: the background is white which represents the many beginners who form the base of the art. THe white in the dragons eyes reminds the professor to be humble and prepared to go back and perform the things he expects of others at any level.
    Yellow/Orange: these represent the first level of proficiency (the ideal stage).
    Brown: the brown in the tigers eyes represent the advance students. Also at this stage a student becomes more observant like a Tiger. The brown in the dragons iris acts to remind the professor of the need for humility.
    Black: the black in the dragons eyes represent the level of expertise.
    Red: the red in the dragon represents professorship in the art.
    The oriental writing: this reminds us that kenpo is chinese.
    Lettering to the right: mean Kenpo -- Law of the Fist and of the Empty Hand or Chinese Hand.
    Lettering to the left: means Spirit of the Dragon and the tiger. Which is a consistant reminder that we want to attain the spiratual level.
    The shape: the top of the crest is like a roof which gives shelter to all under it. The sides are curved conversely because the roof is that of a chinese home and it is also supposed to send evil back to where it came from whener it tries to descend. THe bottom forms the shape of an ax -- it represents the executioner in the event a member is influenced by evil ideas.
    Last edited by parkerkarate; 04-27-2006 at 10:13 AM.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: The IKKA patch

The patch or crest was one of the first things that I really became interested in when I started kenpo. As an artist the layout intrigued me, as a martial artist the symbolism was amazing. It seems that no matter how many different ways I have seen the crest reworked I think they nailed it on the first try.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Just to point out, that on the IKKA patches that I have seen, the lettering on the right is "China Hand" not "Empty Hand."

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside
    Just to point out, that on the IKKA patches that I have seen, the lettering on the right is "China Hand" not "Empty Hand."

Lamont
    China Hand = Tang Soo ... which is how Tang Soo Do was born. A take off Shotokan Karate, even the forms are identical.

Sorry that was off topic, just some history.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Lamont
    thats not what I see here in "Memories of Ed Parker" by Mrs. Parker
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks

I'm reading the kanji, not the book.

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

Thanks

I'm reading the kanji, not the book.
    Kanji? What is that?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    Kanji? What is that?
    Kanji is one of three main Japanese alphabets, using characters that originate from China. ie "the oriental writing."

I wrote a blurb about this for our school several years ago and I included the difference in characters as imbedded jpegs, I'll see if I can find it and if it translates to this format.

Lamont

~William Drummond

Thanks

Excerpt from a questionaire I made for our intermediate belts:

-------------------------------
    1. What does the kanji for “karate” on the Kenpo patch mean?

This was actually a pretty tricky question, since Ed Parker wrote the incorrect description in Infinite Insights Vol. I. The kanji for karate on the patch is written in two characters the first is:

(kara) meaning China and the second is:

(te) meaning hand.

The first character is the key, when Okinawan karate (see question 4) was introduced to Japan, the first character was changed for both practical and philosophical reasons. The new character is pronounced the same, but is written differently:

(kara) means empty, and refers to the empty hand (it is referenced in the Kenpo creed.) These characters are used to describe the styles of karate that are more closely tied to Japan such as Shotokan, Goju-ryu, Kyokushinkai, and Wado-ryu.
    ---------------------------------------------

Hope that helps.

Lamont
    Last edited by Blindside; 04-25-2006 at 01:09 PM.

~William Drummond

Ray
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

"Chinese Hands" is exactly correct. There are several english/chinese dictionaries on the web where that can be confirmed.

Additionally, I work with a very educated man from China who read the kanji. He said that the literal translation from the patch is "chinese hand fist method" but that it wouldn't be transliterated that way, he would say (in English) "chinese kung fu."

More--Doc Chapel did a seminar in Omaha, Nebraska last year. Afterwards several attendees went to a chinese restaurant (run by chinese immigrants). They also read the kanji as "chinese hand fist way."

Now, the japanese pronunciation is "kenpo karate" but it this is not the pronunciation of chinese speakers.

Anyone who reads Funakoshi's (sp?) biography "Karate-do, my way of life" will know that, before karate was introduced to Japan from Okinawa, it was called "chinese hands" (Kara-te) or just "hands" (te). It wasn't until later that the Japanese practitioners wanted to remove the reference to china; they cleverly came up with "sky hand" or "empty hand" (kara-te).

The Tracy's agree with that reading of the kanji. And if you can get EPAK people and Tracy people agreeing, then you've really got something going there. {BTW: I have nothing but respect for the Tracy system and practitioners I've met}

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Thanks for the info Ray and welcome to KenpoTalk.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links