Thread: Sparring Class

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Default Sparring Class

Ok, to spark some new discussion I wanted to comment on my sparring class that I taught today. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts on what I did please feel free to leave them good or bad. I'm open to criticism.

Kids class:
    First I started off with some quick stretching then into punches. I had them Start with working the jab then a jab cross. We switched sides to evenly balance them out. After that we added footwork with the jab cross. After that we moved into kicks and drills. First were the roundhouse kicks where we had someone hold the bag and a guy on each side. The idea is to do full power roundhouse kicks immediatley after eachother. So a guy on the right and left of the person holding the bag. When designated guy 1 kicks and makes contact with the bag the other is to kick. Person holding bag uses their bracing angle and tries to root. People kicking is to drive the said person holding the bag backwards. We only did 10 kicks per side. Next was 10 front kicks in a line. 1 person holding the bag and 2 people lined up. The idea is to set and then kick through the person holding the bag. Next were sidekicks done in the same fashion as the front snap kicks. We broke for a quick drink.
    After that I called off many a combination. Such as jab/cross/step through front kick. jab/cross/sidekick/spin sidekick. back knuckle/cross/roundhouse kick. Roundhouse kick/spinning hook/back knuckle. Plus many more. After that I had them lift one leg to execute a kick of my choice w/o losing balance (well as best as possible ). We did front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick, and then any order I please. Then I had them spar.

Thanks

Here's my adults class. Same thing if you have anything to add; like or dislike leave your comments.

We started off with some light stretching then quickly moved into the punches. Again, I had them start with the jab first then add the cross. After getting those down fairly well I added the hook punch as well. Looks like jab (head)/cross (body)/ hook to either. I showed examples of why and what I was looking for in the combinations. After that we moved into the kicks and drills. Mainly I did the same thing as the kids class with the bag work but after the round house, front snap, side kick I lastly had them do the cross over side kick as well. Just to give them an idea of how to cover distance plus to give an idea of how powerful it really is. We broke for a quick drink then came back. After we got set I moved right into the combinations of kicks and punches or punches and kicks. I mixed them up in many different combinations. Actually too many to list. After that we worked counters for kicks and punches. This took about 40 minutes or so to get through so then we sparred for the reminder of the time.

Thanks

Default Re: Sparring Class

I like the back and forth kicks with two kickers and one bag holder.

I'll have to try that in my classes.

Do you teach any sparring techniques?

The one that is used a lot in our school is the 'driving forward-upward block-reverse punch-at the same time' move.

Or when someone is coming in to you, step back with the right foot into a closed-kneel stance and do a left upward block with a right reverse punch (same time). It works the same on the other side, depending on how they're standing.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I like the back and forth kicks with two kickers and one bag holder.

I'll have to try that in my classes.

Do you teach any sparring techniques?
    1. When doing the first exercise keep the kicks low like at 10 or 15. You will get great feedback from it as most people won't be able to do a lot at first. Also do the front leg as well.

2. I teach sparring combinations of all types. I try to get people to realize outside of their box of only throwing 1 thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    2. I teach sparring combinations of all types. I try to get people to realize outside of their box of only throwing 1 thing.
    Other than combinations, which are good, do you teach any specific sparring techniques?

Does anyone?

I learned a couple of them that I'll share, but I want to see what others have to offer.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

No, I have no "set" techniques to teach. When I give examples of 3, 4, & 5 hit combinations I show it on someone and why. It gets people out of the realm of their ideal 1 or possibly 2 hit thing they may find that works for them.

Today I was able to use a roundhouse/hook kick/front snap combination work for me off of the same leg without putting it down first. The person had their hands up well enough that I couldn't hit with the first 2 but left them up to long before I was able to hit htem in the stomach. Will this work all of the time. Of course not. Only that one instance b/c I realize the hands were still up. Also, I was able to capitalize on the use of my jump spinning hook kick. He dropped his hands a little too much then didn't put them up fast enough. Again, will it work all the time? Of course not. Lastly, I was able to get off a jumping front leg axe kick. It went over his head and my calf landed on his shoulder. Again, i'll ask do you think it will work all the time? Nope. Only that one instance.
    See where I'm going with this?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links