• Good Idea

6 85.71%
  • Bad Idea

1 14.29%

Thread: Training Camps

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Training Camps

I have a question for everyone who attends and or hosts training camps.

Is holding a camp on a long wekend a good idea or a bad idea? Give me some feed back as to why you answered the way you did.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Training Camps

It's a great idea! Of course, I think any excuse to train, especially with those you don't normally train with, is an excellent opportunity to expand your knowledge.

If you hold one for a day or two during a "long weekend" then I think more people would come becuase they have the "extra" time off and won't have to sacrifice or rearrange their schedules to attend.

IMHO =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I'm split down the middle on this one. On one hand camps are great. I just went to a two day seminar this weekend. But, long weekends usually mean holiday's and family obligations. Getting out for the whole weekend may be tougher then usual.

Thanks

I think it is a bad idea. Too many people go away and have plans on long weekends.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

It all depends on the timing.....one thing I realized going to big camps is I feel it is too much time away from my family. If I was single and had no adult responsibilities it would be amazing.

I have attended weekend camps for things like Silat and Arnis that I really gained a lot from, brotherhood, training, and mental relaxation wise My favorite was the Silat camp...is was along a river on a mountain, no schedule just a lot of fighting and training. Some camps are too regimented for my tastes.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I think the long weekends are great. The only negative I see is if there's any travel there could be a whole lot of extra traffic.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gimpat01
    I think the long weekends are great. The only negative I see is if there's any travel there could be a whole lot of extra traffic.
    Ill second that!

Long weekends in February wold be good. People need to unwind from the holidays, the weather is still generally bad, traffic isn't so bad, and it's a good excuse to get out and work off some tension. Your draw will probably be more regional.

Long weekends in, say July, might be a whole 'nuther matter. If you're gonna do that, better have a well known and respected name on the slate, or a good line up.

One of the best I attended had a place where those who got there early could get together and work out the night before, and afterward they had a meal catered and later facilities for those who could stay longer to work off the meal. They also had a dynamite line up of classes and trainers. (In case you're wondering, it was the IKCA, Mr. Sullivan and Mr. LeRoux. Get on their web site and get their number- if Mr. L has the time, he'll give you a lot of help and ideas. I was surprised the first time I called, at one of his members suggestion, because he spent a lot of time helping me with something. If it's to do with Kenpo, the man loves to share.)

Thanks

I long weekend is a great idea. This gives everyone time to let thing soak in from the day before and it also alows individuals to meet new people from around the world.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

I'm self-employed. One weekend is as good as another to me.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

There are a few long weekends during the year that are not really holidays. Victoria Day for us Canadians, Memorial day for the Americans. The Civic Holiday in August, and ofcourse the Labor Day weekend. I am looking at hosting a small mini camp towards the end of May or end of June, and I am looking for the best possible date.

Thanks

Lets expand on this topic. What all should have good camp have?

Thanks

I think variety Rob.

For example, if it is a Kenpo camp in particular, having techniques (base and endings), forms, sets, sparring, and weapons distributed amongst the various topics and instructors is awesome.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Lets expand on this topic. What all should have good camp have?
    Multiple options per session
    options for breaking out different ranks where applicable.
    Plenty of food and drink on site
    Demonstration time slot
    optional group dinner
    Close hotels
    gyms are good venues, schools often rent out
    A good group of volunteers
    Vendor area martial arts related stuff
    Camp t-shirt option

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    I think variety Rob.

For example, if it is a Kenpo camp in particular, having techniques (base and endings), forms, sets, sparring, and weapons distributed amongst the various topics and instructors is awesome.
    That all sounds good. Having instructors with specific topics in mind when they do the seminars is another good thing.

Without naming names, some of the instructors at last year's Vegas camp didn't seem to have a plan when doing the seminar. They just did a bunch of drills or something else that didn't stick in my head. Unless the topic is on 'how to be an instructor' with drill suggestions and such, I don't want to spend a lot of time doing backknuckle/reverse punch combinations at a seminar. I can do those in class. I want to work some new concepts that I can apply to everything or learn a new way of applying a technique or look at a technique.

Or with others, they did the exact same seminar that they did the year before 9and the year before that). There are two seminars this year that I already plan on skipping because it will be exactly the same as the last two years. I think that's pretty darn lazy if you ask me.

I'd like to see a seminar on kata. Picking out difficult or frequently incorrectly done parts of katas and review them with tips and techniques that can be applied to all katas.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links