Thread: Question about Jujitsu

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Question about Jujitsu

I have been going to my friends studio that teaches only Brazilian Jujitsu and it looks nothing like the Jujitsu I am familiar with. The Jujitsu style I am familiar with is Japanese Jujitsu, which is the same system the military uses, at least the marines anyway. When I was watching him perform some of his tech's, I noticed they are all mainly on the ground grapleing. In Japanese Jujitsu, you are mainly on your feet while striking and moving.

Is the grapleing just what the Brazilians have made the style to be or what?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Question about Jujitsu

Old man Gracie learned from a Japanese WWII pilot that settled in Brazil after the war. He had some sort of physical limitation, I forget exactly what it was, but he basically adapted what he was taught because of it. That's why you see Brazilian or Gracie Jiu Jitsu practicioners on the ground so much. It's good to have ground skills, but in terms of self defense... if you can get back up....GET UP!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

But if you want my honest opinion, most Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu stylists are much more effective fighters than are their Japanese Jiu-Jitsu counterparts.

And I'm not just referring to the Gracie's here.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I've never been in a fight that was one on one. Being tied up in another person on the ground has no appeal to me what so ever for self-defense. I enjoy grappling as a fun activity but I would be extremely hesitant to look to the ground when three people are coming at me.

I've studied a little bit of both, BJJ and JJJ (I guess that would be correct) and find that JJJ is more self-defense oriented while BJJ is more sport oriented. Just my observations.

Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cloak13
    I've never been in a fight that was one on one. Being tied up in another person on the ground has no appeal to me what so ever for self-defense. I enjoy grappling as a fun activity but I would be extremely hesitant to look to the ground when three people are coming at me.
    Ditto!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Being tied up in another person on the ground has no appeal to me what so ever for self-defense. I enjoy grappling as a fun activity but I would be extremely hesitant to look to the ground when three people are coming at me.
    Right on Tim.

Yet another reason why I believe American Kenpo offers more than jiu-jistsu as a means of practical self-defense.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Right on Tim.

Yet another reason why I believe American Kenpo offers more than jiu-jistsu as a means of practical self-defense.
    No arguments from me there. I left a Jiu-Jitsu school once I found a Kenpo school in my area.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I noticed that the BJJ stylists use a little more finesse on their techniques. I mean, you know, there's only so many ways you can do an arm lock.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I have been simultaneously training Kenpo and BJJ for 2 1/2 years under two phenomenal instructors. From my own experience, I can tell you that many of the same movements and principles used in Kenpo are also employed in BJJ - it's just upside down. If you were to delve deeply into JJJ, I suspect you would find the same to be true. Seems to me that the major difference between JJ standing up and JJ on the ground is the number of leverage points. (I differentiate here between leverage and hip torque; hips are used the same way standing and grappling.) Standing up, leverage comes mostly from your two feet pushing against the ground. or you might create some leverage using your sparring partner as a fulcrum. On the ground, almost any part of your body can be used as a point of leverage. Even the back of your head can push on the floor depending on your position. Occasionally, I find that hooking my big toe into a crease in the mat can be the difference between winning and losing! It makes the match a lot more complicated. Of course, it also makes it much easier to control your sparring partner. Standing up, you don't have that big platform to pin him to - which is why I get kicked a lot ;=) So that's my insight, for whatever it's worth.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,947 Times in 5,598 Posts

I've studied a little bit of both, BJJ and JJJ (I guess that would be correct) and find that JJJ is more self-defense oriented while BJJ is more sport oriented. Just my observations.

Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD
    Good obs sir.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,947 Times in 5,598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Old man Gracie learned from a Japanese WWII pilot that settled in Brazil after the war.
    Yes and he was a master in the sport ju-do and not jiu-jitsu. When he passed away they changed the name to "Brazillian Jiu-jitsu," which is obviously sport based and not self defense based.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links