Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feet gear

Thanks

Default Feet gear

Alright I have just bought a new set of Century feet gear a couple of months ago. But after each time I spar I get these semi-blisters from them. Does anyone else have this problem? I had a set of Macho gear last year and those were great. Does anyone know where I can get some cheap but good feet gear?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Feet gear

I would try a little bit of foor powder on my feet before I tried new gear.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I would try a little bit of foor powder on my feet before I tried new gear.
    Foor powder ?

Do you mean floor powder. And if so where can I get it?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

At your local pharmacy next to the Dr. Scholls shoe inserts. LOL.

I'm still waiting for someone to actually develope some decent foot gear. Why is only the top covered? Who actually kicks with their instep!? Most of us our taught to kick with the ball of the foot, heel, or at least the side of the foot (blade) depending on the kick. Why is it no foot gear actually covers these parts of the foot!?!?!?! I want foot gear that can be worn effectivly and covers the ball and heel of my foot!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Foot pads are to protect you foot, not your opponent. They were invented by Jhoon Rhee for TKD sparring and they use a lot of instep kicks.

Thanks

I never wear foot pads when I spar, just hand gear (unless I am fighting in an event that requires foot protection).

I much prefer bare feet over any type of foot padding.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    At your local pharmacy next to the Dr. Scholls shoe inserts. LOL.

I'm still waiting for someone to actually develope some decent foot gear. Why is only the top covered? Who actually kicks with their instep!? Most of us our taught to kick with the ball of the foot, heel, or at least the side of the foot (blade) depending on the kick. Why is it no foot gear actually covers these parts of the foot!?!?!?! I want foot gear that can be worn effectivly and covers the ball and heel of my foot!
    I kick with my instep with roundhouse kicks for the most part. But yes for all other kicks you are either kicking with the ball, heel, or side of your foot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    I never wear foot pads when I spar, just hand gear (unless I am fighting in an event that requires foot protection).

I much prefer bare feet over any type of foot padding.
    I would not wear feet gear either, but I have to admit I use my feet for the most part when sparring.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Who actually kicks with their instep!? Most of us our taught to kick with the ball of the foot, heel, or at least the side of the foot (blade) depending on the kick.
    I do.

Exactly depending upon the kick. How many times have you actually used a roundhouse with ball of the foot while sparring someone? I guess I should say how many times have you actually scored with it? With a skilled fighter you will be kicking elbows, forearms, the side of the body (while they are rolling) if they know how to move. I covered the different types of roundhouse kicks in the last sparring class I taught a couple of weeks ago. Just some thoughts.

Thanks

Since I spar with this Wing Chung guy here at school I must kick very quickly or I am going to get plowed over. Once I kick he is already coming in so he could break my toes if I use the ball of my foot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    I do.

Exactly depending upon the kick. How many times have you actually used a roundhouse with ball of the foot while sparring someone? I guess I should say how many times have you actually scored with it? With a skilled fighter you will be kicking elbows, forearms, the side of the body (while they are rolling) if they know how to move. I covered the different types of roundhouse kicks in the last sparring class I taught a couple of weeks ago. Just some thoughts.
    That's exactly why I don't kick with my instep. I've had the itty-bitty bones broken in the top of my foot before...it ain't no fun! It's the weakest, most vulnerable part of your foot. I usually only use the ball with a round kick and it's when offsetting to the left or right of my opponent if going toward the midsection (which is rare as I don't like to kick above the belly button in terms of self defense, which I know is a no-no in point fighting) Otherwise I will use my shin, but that's a shin kick then isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by gakusei
    Foot pads are to protect you foot, not your opponent. They were invented by Jhoon Rhee for TKD sparring and they use a lot of instep kicks.
    Exactly why people where gloves as well. So why not apply that same logic to foot gear? Probably because they can't design a "shoe" that would cover and pad those areas and you still be able to stand up! LOL. Could you imagine? A "shoe" with that kind of padding would probably look like something Gene Simmons of Kiss would wear on stage! LOL
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

We'll just have to disagree 'bout this one.

I bought a pair of Jhoon Rhee's master kicks when they first came out in probably '93 I believe. I still have them and use them. It's a good boot to wear and to have. If something were to happen to them I would probably try and buy another pair just like 'em. I really enjoy the comfort of the boot itself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    I would not wear feet gear either, but I have to admit I use my feet for the most part when sparring.
    I use my kicks a lot too (probably just as much as my hands) but I still don't wear foot pads.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    I kick with my instep with roundhouse kicks for the most part. But yes for all other kicks you are either kicking with the ball, heel, or side of your foot
    Front instep kicks to the groin are nasty as well.

Thanks

Who actually kicks with their instep!?
    I use the instep of my foot a lot when executing roundhouse kicks to the groin, body, back of the leg, or head during sparring.

At times, however, you are quite right - it is more advantageous to use the ball of the foot when executing roundhouse kicks depending upon where you are striking and the position of the opponent's body.

Thanks

I generally teach a roundhouse kick (with the ball of the foot) to the groin. Reason behind that is you need a little extra distance to actually strike around the leg to get the groin. Any other time I use the instep. I prefer not to have broken toes by kicking someone in the elbows or forearms. I've seen it too many times.

Thanks

I prefer to simply wear my wrestling shoes. They have been more than adequate for me
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

I'm not really a big "kicker" anyway. I'm more of a "hands on" kind of guy. LOL

Thanks

I'm not really a big "kicker" anyway. I'm more of a "hands on" kind of guy. LOL
    LOL

It is always good to be able to fight with either your hands or feet just in case. I always use both though.

Thanks

I'm teaching a student at the moment to gain control over his leg. Just like your hand you need to be able to control your feet. One exercise I have him do is to stand on one leg with the other knee up; then proceed to execute a front snap - chamber, sidekick - chamber, roundhouse - chamber, hook kick - chamber, axe kick - chamber then bring the leg down. He practices on billy the bully (yeah, the green guy) which gives him feedback on his balance. I believe you need to be equally balanced with either hand or foot. Lastly, yes, it has taken a while to build up to that many kicks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links