Thread: Back, head & chest dive

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Back, head & chest dive

Do you think this is a practical maneuver? Why?

Can you do it??
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Default Re: Back, head & chest dive

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I agree.

I was wondering if you meant some type of roll fall?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    I agree.

I was wondering if you meant some type of roll fall?
    I can take a nose dive, if that counts.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Whoops! The story goes ...

I turned to run and tripped over the curb ... expertly converting my fall into a forward shoulder roll, I stepped off line and kicked the attacker with my right roundhouse kick.

Or, I was pushed from behind and tripped, turning my fall into a roll.

etc.

-Michael
    “The superior man cultivates a friendly harmony, without being weak.—How firm is he in his energy! He stands erect in the middle without inclining to either side.—How firm is he in his energy!”
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

Thanks

"Infinite Insights Into Kenpo Book 2: Physical Analyzation 1" on page 136.

Back, head and chest dive - This is a straight dive to the rear. It is not a common dive and, therefore, requires practice. To execute it, spring back on to your hands, keep you head and back arched, and time your action carefully as you roll on your chest, stomach, hips, thighs, knees, and feet.

From a standing position (a) bend your knees, squat, and spring backward; reach out with your arms to break your fall. Arch your head and back, and again bend your knees. As your hands touch the ground straighten your body (b) as your weight begins to shift over the center point, again arch your head and back. Now begin to roll on your chest, then stomach, then hips, thights, knees, and back to your feet.

If you have the book it also gives a drawn example of the maneuver. If not, hopefully the excerpt will help you visualize what we would be discussing.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

This maneuvre is very, very dangerous, and not recommended for anyone that is not capable of doing a backhandspring. This is also known as an Arabian Dive Roll.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

You'd never see me try it in a ga-zillion years! I wanted yoose-guys-es view on da' maneuver though. I don't think it's practical or all that useful...but I'm biased because I'm a big goober that couldn't do it anyway! LOL. I just don't see any real use for it. But some of you more agile types might like it though. Just wanted your point of view.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    "Infinite Insights Into Kenpo Book 2: Physical Analyzation 1" on page 136.

Back, head and chest dive - This is a straight dive to the rear. It is not a common dive and, therefore, requires practice. To execute it, spring back on to your hands, keep you head and back arched, and time your action carefully as you roll on your chest, stomach, hips, thighs, knees, and feet.

From a standing position (a) bend your knees, squat, and spring backward; reach out with your arms to break your fall. Arch your head and back, and again bend your knees. As your hands touch the ground straighten your body (b) as your weight begins to shift over the center point, again arch your head and back. Now begin to roll on your chest, then stomach, then hips, thights, knees, and back to your feet.
    You know, I'm trying to picture SGM Parker doing this, and well, it just isn't happening.

I'm trying to find any vaguely use of this that a backward breakfall and a backward roll wouldn't be more practical in. Anyone have ANY suggestions?

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

The only time I would even think about it would be against a mid height swung weapon coming from behind me. But if I was to this maneuvre I would probably opt out and do the back handspring instead since it would give me more distance and no time on the ground.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

The only time I would consider doing such a thing would be if I suddenly became someone else.

Someone who is limber and bouncy and daring.

That, is not me.

I'm a little bouncy, but not the kind of bouncy that spring into the air back onto my hands.

More the kind of bouncy that's kind of cheerful.

That's the only way I would consider doing such a funky move.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    The only time I would even think about it would be against a mid height swung weapon coming from behind me.
    I think I'd take my chances getting hit.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I think I am envisaging this correctly - I used to be able to do this 20 odd years ago in my breakdancing good 'ol-days. A few of the 'moves' I learned back then are usefull in defence now, but not many. I dont know about this one either. How will you ever get into a position that your body can set up the inertia required to do the flip. If you have enough time to do that, you have got other options available on retreat or attack.

I have seen this a couple of times on my sons Power Rangers videos so I suppose it must be realistic then eh!!

jonah

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Me no bend that way.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,941 Times in 5,595 Posts

Do you think this is a practical maneuver? Why?

Can you do it??
    I spend all my energy trying to stay upright, and now you want me to fall down - on purpose? Please!
    Last edited by Doc; 03-17-2006 at 04:06 PM.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

^^

Yeah what he said!!!
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links