Thread: application of Control

Thanks

Default application of Control

It's situations like this that I am such a fan of awairness and control....

I work in DC.. got off the metro this morning and passing fairly busy area..

what I hear is "Give me your G.D Money!!!"

I turn and a guy in a black coat with his fist headding to my head....

Instantly Pivot catch with the block from Calming the storm and just as my fist is launching I notice that it is a friend from the office screwing arround... I managed to stop my fist about 1/2 and inch inside his body at his floating ribs (first open target) before doing any real damage.

After he rubbed his ribs and appologized I mentioned that it's not the wisest thing he could have done.
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: application of Control

I think, in this case, your friend deserved it. Well done!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Your friend is an idiot. No offense. I had one of those friends... He used to try to sneak up on me and so forth. People like that have what I call the "Power Ranger Mentality." They don't take us or martial arts seriously.

Well, my 'friend' went to far one night and actually jumped me from behind after I'd had a couple of bourbon & cokes and tried to put a "sleeper" hold on me. I didn't know it was him and I just reacted spontaneously by side stepping slightly and hammer fisting his "coin purse"...if you know what I mean. I turned to stomp his skull into mush and I saw who it was. He was laying on the floor in the fetal position with tears rolling down his cheeks. He whimpered, "..man...what did you do that for...?" Before I could answer another friend of mine said, "You wanna know why you're down there? Because you were stupid enough to grab him from behind." That was 3 years ago. We're still friends, but he's never touched me again.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

That's funny. About 15 or so years ago I had a buddy of mine sneak up on me in the dojo. I had the music going and was running through my kata - when I turned he came at me with a practice knife. I kicked him square in the groin before I realized it was him.

We're still the best of friends to this day.

Thanks

Ohh man .. not in da beanbag!!!!!!

heheh

Yea.. he is a good guy.. just not the brightest crayon in the box sometimes.

Another coworker here (very good friend and exceptional MA) said I should have hit him.. at least 50%.... just for the lesson.

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it becomes a sport.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it becomes a sport.

no.. then it just gets funny...

Oww Owww my eye!!!

where did it roll?!?!?!

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

My very first Kenpo instructor and his roommate used to do the Kato thing from Pink Panther to each other all the time. They'd set each other up and jump out at each other at unexpected moments. They said it helped with their training and awareness. They were pretty crazy though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan
    My very first Kenpo instructor and his roommate used to do the Kato thing from Pink Panther to each other all the time. They'd set each other up and jump out at each other at unexpected moments. They said it helped with their training and awareness. They were pretty crazy though.
    BWAAA AHAAHA A AHAHAA

I'm sorry... I just have a mental image of Peter Sellers as your instructor...

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Controll is very important being able to stop from the moment before a strike, aswell as knowing how much force to use when striking.... I was in the lunchroom in college and an aquaintance of mine came up from behine me while i was sitting in my chair eating and put both hands on both sides of my shoulders i was shocked and just responded by pinning his left and on my left shoulder with my right hand and shot a left back knuckle to his face which hit him but i was lucky enough to pull it a lil bit,,,, he was shocked though dang.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by green_blurr
    Controll is very important being able to stop from the moment before a strike, aswell as knowing how much force to use when striking.... I was in the lunchroom in college and an aquaintance of mine came up from behine me while i was sitting in my chair eating and put both hands on both sides of my shoulders i was shocked and just responded by pinning his left and on my left shoulder with my right hand and shot a left back knuckle to his face which hit him but i was lucky enough to pull it a lil bit,,,, he was shocked though dang.
    yea.. I had a friend in Collage (many years ago) who was a highschool wrestler... he loved to pop out and try to pin me..

-JTHM

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links