Thread: Freestyle Techniques

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Freestyle Techniques

O.K...I've been reading over these in "Mental & Physical Applications: Vol.5 of Infinite Insights" and trying to become more familiar with them. I was doing really good untill I got to the purple belt stuff.

What the heck is 'k'? The upper case 'K' is defined as a front snap kick at the Yellow Belt level. But the lower case 'k' is not defined. I've kinda figured it out from the descriptions that it means a kick but it is never defined. And while I believe it is a kick, why is it sometimes lower case and sometimes upper case?? This can make understanding the shorthand alpha-numeric descriptions confusing.

Example (as explained in Volume 5)-> B1atskrK..indicates the execution of the first variation simultaneous with an in place body maneuver (pivot into a left forward bow). The immediate follow up is with a right thrusting sweep kick to the outside of your opponent's left knee. Without hesitating you are to deliver a left roundhouse kick to your opponent's groin.

...notice the 'k' after the 'ts' is lower case and the 'K' at the end after the 'r' is upper case. The 'ts' is defined as a thrusting sweep kick and does not include a 'k' as it is initially defined. Why? Is this significant or am I just being too picky? Any help to help me understand this particular aspect of American Kenpo will be greatly appreciated...as always!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Freestyle Techniques

tsk - thrusting sweep kick

yea the only thing I can think of possibly that it wouldn't be capitalized would be that it's working from the back leg and not the lead.

dunno, but you're probably just just being a picky nude celt.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks

He's nekkid??
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Yeah....I think that the thrusting sweep kick was supposed to be defined by Tsk, but in the book they forgot to mention that there was a 'k' on there. According to Ed Jr., he's said before that he'd like to re-do those books to take out just such oversights.

Tsk is a Thrusting Sweep Kick.

Your Brother
    John
    Now.....
    go put some clothes on, ya crazy Celt!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

LOL. You must know that a "true" celt would never wear anything under their kilt.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought thats' what it meant, but I like to have a very good understanding of something before I attempt to teach it to another. ...call me crazy...but that's just how I am. LOL.

Thanks again!

...afterthought. He also mentioned there are only 4 ways to face an opponent in regards to foot position. Left-Left, Right-Right, Right-Left, Left-Right. Yet all the techniques are either Left-Left, or Right-Right. Do any of you know of any that are geared toward Right-Left or Left-Right??
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    ...afterthought. He also mentioned there are only 4 ways to face an opponent in regards to foot position. Left-Left, Right-Right, Right-Left, Left-Right. Yet all the techniques are either Left-Left, or Right-Right. Do any of you know of any that are geared toward Right-Left or Left-Right??
    I assume you mean freestyle techs not techs in general, but yes - so they do - never thought of that before, I'd also be interested in others views

jonah

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Blue Belt freestyles are done from an open stance.
    You can do all the Base moves from open stance as well.
    My favorite from an open stance (lr/rl) is B6arsK6bKbk
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Do any of you know of any that are geared toward Right-Left or Left-Right??
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    Blue Belt freestyles are done from an open stance.
    You can do all the Base moves from open stance as well.
    My favorite from an open stance (lr/rl) is B6arsK6bKbk
    Blue Belt Freestyle???? Do you have a list of the equations? I didn't know htere was a Blue Belt level.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links