Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Ma_student
  • 1 Post By Doc

Thread: I kick a lot; the reaction i get? "that's not kenpo!"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 850 Posts

Default I kick a lot; the reaction i get? "that's not kenpo!"

Most of you know that I, The Renegade, am versed in multiple arts. Those of you who remember me, know that I'm neither the tallest [ 5'7"] nor the biggest [ 156-162 ] guy in the universe, so kicking? Yeah. That's a thing for me. Even at age 49, like I am now.

So when I kick a lot? Guys tend to attribute that to my Njia Uhuru Kipura background, or my Taekwondo background, or whatever. I then ask them to tell me how the front snap kick in my family's art of Njia Uhuru Kipura [ the return to the roots and modernized version of the art from Kongo called KIPURA and miscalled "capoeira" by Raphael Bluteau in 1712 ], the front snap kick in Taekwondo, or Tang Soo Do, or gungfu, or Your-Mom-Do, is different than the front snap kick in Kenpo. They respond with silence that allows us to hear crickets Crip Walking, and then they repeat how kicking all over the place like I'm doing isn't Kenpo.

"Why not?" say I.

"Because!" say they.

Then I land shin kicks on guys. And they attribute that to my Muay Thai background, or my Njia Uhuru Kipura background...and I say:

And then I kick into buckling, and they say: "There's no buckling and unbalancing knockdown stuff in Kenpo!" and I say:

So. I throw plenty knees, kicks, buckles, stomps and sweeps in my training. I'd say the Hands to Other Stuff ratio is about 51/49. Do you guys kick a lot? Or not at all [ I know some Kenpo heads who don't kick at all ]. What percentage of your arsenal is kicking and why does it play the role you have it playing, or why does or doesn't it be as ubiquitous as in your Kenpo as say...self defense oriented TKD kicks are in its expression?
    Last edited by ATACX GYM; 05-06-2019 at 12:34 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ATACX GYM For This Useful Post:

Star Dragon (05-06-2019)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: I kick a lot; the reaction i get? "that's not kenpo!"

Quote Originally Posted by ATACX GYM View Post
    Most of you know that I, The Renegade, am versed in multiple arts. Those of you who remember me, know that I'm neither the tallest [ 5'7"] nor the biggest [ 156-162 ] guy in the universe, so kicking? Yeah. That's a thing for me. Even at age 49, like I am now.

So when I kick a lot? Guys tend to attribute that to my Njia Uhuru Kipura background, or my Taekwondo background, or whatever. I then ask them to tell me how the front snap kick in my family's art of Njia Uhuru Kipura [ the return to the roots and modernized version of the art from Kongo called KIPURA and miscalled "capoeira" by Raphael Bluteau in 1712 ], the front snap kick in Taekwondo, or Tang Soo Do, or gungfu, or Your-Mom-Do, is different than the front snap kick in Kenpo. They respond with silence that allows us to hear crickets Crip Walking, and then they repeat how kicking all over the place like I'm doing isn't Kenpo.

"Why not?" say I.

"Because!" say they.

Then I land shin kicks on guys. And they attribute that to my Muay Thai background, or my Njia Uhuru Kipura background...and I say:

And then I kick into buckling, and they say: "There's no buckling and unbalancing knockdown stuff in Kenpo!" and I say:

So. I throw plenty knees, kicks, buckles, stomps and sweeps in my training. I'd say the Hands to Other Stuff ratio is about 51/49. Do you guys kick a lot? Or not at all [ I know some Kenpo heads who don't kick at all ]. What percentage of your arsenal is kicking and why does it play the role you have it playing, or why does or doesn't it be as ubiquitous as in your Kenpo as say...self defense oriented TKD kicks are in its expression?
    thats just plain arrogance by them. The whole point of Kenpo is to adapt it to work for you. So if kicking is what works for you then it's still kenpo. Far to much arrogance in the community
    Star Dragon and ATACX GYM like this.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

"Why not?" say I.

"Because!" say they.

I started my martial arts training in Kyokushinkai and Shotokan, and I have always been told that I am a good kicker, so honing my kicks still comes to me naturally. I have heard that Kenpo is more of a 'hand system', and that seems to hold true for many practitioners who show decent strikes and punches, but who suck at kicking. However, the neat thing about Kenpo is that it will be what you make it, and if you are proficient at kicking (or willing to invest the time and effort required to achieve that), that's great, and don't let any out-of-shape overweight armchair warrior ever tell you there is no room for that in Kenpo!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

ATACX GYM (05-07-2019)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I study Kenpo and Taekwondo so i do kick some. I use kicks to keep my distance and use kicks to close the distance. I normally don't kick higher then chest high.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,861 Times in 5,545 Posts

"Why not?" say I.

"Because!" say they.

Next time remind him those things are not in HIS Kenpo. He might find this strange, but all kenpo doesn't fit within a set of physical guidelines. Kenpo's modern day progenitor Ed Parker Sr. was open ended and studied everything he could to incorporate into HIS kenpo. Those who choose to limit themselves always want you to do the same so they don't have to do anything to raise their own standards. Tell him to stay in the M.F.L and enjoy the martial fantasy league where he belongs.
    ATACX GYM likes this.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KirkS (05-08-2019),nelson (05-09-2019),Star Dragon (05-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 666 Posts

The way I heard it was ...

We got two hands and two feet.
    We learn to hit with one hand, followed by the other hand.
    And then we hit with one hand, and then one foot, and then the other hand.
    And then we learn to hit both hands at once.
    And then we learn to hit with two hands and a foot all at the same time.
    And I would hit you with both hands and both feet at the same time, except I have to stand on something.
    Oh yeah ... and then we learn Leap of Death.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    I started my martial arts training in Kyokushinkai and Shotokan, and I have always been told that I am a good kicker, so honing my kicks still comes to me naturally. I have heard that Kenpo is more of a 'hand system', and that seems to hold true for many practitioners who show decent strikes and punches, but who suck at kicking. However, the neat thing about Kenpo is that it will be what you make it, and if you are proficient at kicking (or willing to invest the time and effort required to achieve that), that's great, and don't let any out-of-shape overweight armchair warrior ever tell you there is no room for that in Kenpo!
    You're giving away your age. They only called it Kyokushinkai when I was coming up in the sixties. They mostly call it Kyokushin now.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    You're giving away your age. They only called it Kyokushinkai when I was coming up in the sixties. They mostly call it Kyokushin now.
    So, Doc, were you ever a member of the yudanshakai?
    Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoMD For This Useful Post:

KirkS (05-13-2019)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoMD View Post
    So, Doc, were you ever a member of the yudanshakai?
    Apparently so, but I never thought about it nor was it made a big deal. My I.D. card when I was finally given one said, International Kenpo Karate Association but my rank was listed as "shodan." Technically Mr. Parker was moving away from foreign terminology but it "lingered" for quite awhile, and still does today with many passed down. I still hear people say "sensei," "dojo," "uki," and the really stupid "ooos," etc even though Mr. Parker never used the terms and specifically made efforts to explain those references were not a part of his teachings. The only exceptions he made were for "kiai" and "gi." But then there were many of the old school guys who came from a Japanese Style background before coming to Mr. Parker and those cultural terms were ingrained so it was hard to break.

For me personally, you can tell my oldest students because we come from more of the Chinese Kenpo era and students like AC Rainey still call me "Sifu." Some have made a big deal about rank terminology and suggested that the "dan" rankings were somehow better than the "degree" rankings that Mr. Parker changed to and preferred. Because I teach from an American Academic Perspective, and use real science references, old other cultural foreign language terms have no place in my American Perspective so it is a non-factor for me and my students.

Mr. Parker's intent was to maintain the uniform for practicality, and a smidgen of references to pay respect to the influences and origins, but leave the culture out. He always said, he was the "Father of American Karate," although many mistakenly called him the "Father of American Kenpo" which he never took credit for. Although there were those who predated him in America teaching martial arts, they were teaching foreign arts in their original cultural form and language which Mr. Parker rejected.

He did take credit for Americanizing the art, and always said that "American Kenpo" was present in Hawaii before he came to the mainland, in the form of the original mixed art form, "Kajukenbo" and its "American Kenpo" component. He was quite adamant about the "American Kenpo" reference because he intended to create a true stand alone American Kenpo and although it was a work in progress separate and apart from his "Kenpo Karate," almost none of it was ever codified, and that is where I draw and extrapolate from.

Thanks Doc for stirring up some old memories.

www.MSUACF.com

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KenpoMD (05-26-2019),KirkS (05-25-2019),punisher73 (05-28-2019)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links