Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: unique position in class lastnight

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Forney TX
    Posts
    1,068
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 83 Times in 55 Posts

    Default unique position in class lastnight

    Well last night in class I found myself in a unique position. We were practicing five swords with a partner, and well I was partnered up with my instructor’s wife. There’s no pressure there na, none at all. My instructor wants us to do the tech’s with energy and I have good control but dang if I was to mess up that would have been bad. But anyway it all worked out she is a very nice lady, she is in phase 2 but sometimes she works out in our phase one class and i tend to look up to her as she is a few belts higher than myself.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class lastnight

    Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    Well last night in class I found myself in a unique position. We were practicing five swords with a partner, and well I was partnered up with my instructor’s wife. There’s no pressure there na, none at all. My instructor wants us to do the tech’s with energy and I have good control but dang if I was to mess up that would have been bad. But anyway it all worked out she is a very nice lady, she is in phase 2 but sometimes she works out in our phase one class and i tend to look up to her as she is a few belts higher than myself.
    I can see how that would be "Uncomfortable" for you. I get a little "uncomfortable" working with females anyway. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if it was the instructors wife! LOL. Glad you made it through it in one piece! LOL
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    4,018
    Thanks
    1,163
    Thanked 913 Times in 561 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class lastnight

    I guess I'm not getting what's uncomfortable?

    In my class, people work out with the instructor's husband and nobody thinks it's weird. They probably hit him harder and tease him more.

    Is it that she's female or your instructor's wife or both?

    --Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/


  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Forney TX
    Posts
    1,068
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 83 Times in 55 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class lastnight

    Amy, Well I am a little gun shy when it comes to working/doing tech’s with the ladies in the class. I know that is something I need to work on but as most of the people in our school including myself are new. I’m sure if I was working with a high ranking female I would be more comfortable. But as this was not just a female it was also my instructor’s wife. I know accidents do happen from time to time but again this was the instructor’s wife. I wouldn’t want things to get awkward if I bumped my partner doing the tech and it rubbed her the wrong way.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    4,018
    Thanks
    1,163
    Thanked 913 Times in 561 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class last night

    I'm sure the women are tougher than you think. Especially the upper belts. I would hate to think anyone is gunshy about working with me. I think I'd feel insulted.

    Unless of course they were gunshy because they were worried I'd kick their ass. Even then, they would be assuming I had no control, so either way, not very flattering.

    And if you 'bumped' her, so what? I assume by that you mean hit her in the wrong place? Happens all the time. No biggie. I'm sure she'd be amused by your discomfort.

    --Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class last night

    Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I'm sure the women are tougher than you think. Especially the upper belts. I would hate to think anyone is gunshy about working with me. I think I'd feel insulted.

    Unless of course they were gunshy because they were worried I'd kick their ass. Even then, they would be assuming I had no control, so either way, not very flattering.

    And if you 'bumped' her, so what? I assume by that you mean hit her in the wrong place? Happens all the time. No biggie. I'm sure she'd be amused by your discomfort.

    --Amy
    Don't be insulted. If anything, it is a sign of respect. A lot of us "Southern Boys" are raised that way. Our Ma's drill it into our heads that there is never a good reason to lay your hands on a lady....ever. It's hard to overcome that programming regardless of what logic dictates.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    4,018
    Thanks
    1,163
    Thanked 913 Times in 561 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Don't be insulted. If anything, it is a sign of respect. A lot of us "Southern Boys" are raised that way. Our Ma's drill it into our heads that there is never a good reason to lay your hands on a lady....ever. It's hard to overcome that programming regardless of what logic dictates.
    Then I definitely want to work out with you because then I can kick your butt and you won't do a thing to stop me. Muhhhhaaahhhahhahahahaha!

    --Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/


  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Forney TX
    Posts
    1,068
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 83 Times in 55 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Don't be insulted. If anything, it is a sign of respect. A lot of us "Southern Boys" are raised that way. Our Ma's drill it into our heads that there is never a good reason to lay your hands on a lady....ever. It's hard to overcome that programming regardless of what logic dictates.
    Yes Sir.

    Ok let me go a little more into detail, I didn’t mean any disrespect to my instructors wife or any of the females in martial arts. But with that said I will list a few reasons I am a little gun shy with the females in my class. Most of the ladies in my class seem to be very timid and dainty and when they do their techs with me it’s more like they are just softly moving and just don’t put forth any real resistance. Not to say they are incapable of doing so they just don’t. And in one case there is a lady that started the same week I did. She and I have been partners in class since just about day one. She holds a 1st Dan in TKD and she will get down and dirty on the mat. But she also in the past kept on getting after me to do the tech’s with more force, all the time she would tell me do it for real. Well in one class we were working twisting the limb. I didn’t twist hard but she yelled out and said I about broke her wrist. Well I felt real bad because like CELTIC said I was raised to never hurt a woman. That kind of made me gun shy with working my tech’s with a female partner. But on the other hand this same lady has, is doing her tech’s as fast as she could popped me in the mouth a few times. I just laugh it off and she goes to rubbing my face and “Oh I’m so sorry”
    So what I am getting at is my hesitance to work out with a female partner I hope would not come off as disrespect but more the opposite.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    4,018
    Thanks
    1,163
    Thanked 913 Times in 561 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class last night

    Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    Yes Sir.

    Well in one class we were working twisting the limb. I didn’t twist hard but she yelled out and said I about broke her wrist. Well I felt real bad because like CELTIC said I was raised to never hurt a woman. That kind of made me gun shy with working my tech’s with a female partner. But on the other hand this same lady has, is doing her tech’s as fast as she could popped me in the mouth a few times. I just laugh it off and she goes to rubbing my face and “Oh I’m so sorry”
    So what I am getting at is my hesitance to work out with a female partner I hope would not come off as disrespect but more the opposite.
    So it sounds like you need to be a little more tweener with them. You can put a move on someone effectively without bruising them.

    Instead of really palming them in the face, go with speed and push the chin instead of smacking it. Chop in the chest instead of the throat and use more pushing than striking. Then you feel like you got to do the move, she feels like the move was really done on her and nobody is yelling.

    My instructor is excellent at this. He moves me all over the mat and very seldom causes me damage. And I don't feel disrespected in any way. I am insulted, however, when someone works with me and doesn't move me. What's the difference between that and doing it in the air?

    --Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class lastnight

    You wouldn't be the first female to beat up on me. Yup, and I'm man enough to admit to it too! LOL. Seriously though, contrary to popular belief some guys still have a "chilvarous" side about them. Besides, it's natural to want to protect the females. It's ingrained in our DNA. Female dies=no births=no man. So don't be too hard on the fellas if you feel they're taking it easy on ya. Just remind them you aren't there for a ball room dance, but for a bar room brawl! We just have to be reminded a few times untill we get used to you. By then you'll just be seen as "one of the guys." LOL You'll know this has happened when they start to use more profanity, talk about girls, and tell dirty jokes around you. Or worse, they ask you what your opinion is of their girlfriends butt. LMAO
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

  11. #11
    Bob Hubbard's Avatar
    Bob Hubbard is offline Retired


    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    5,610
    Thanks
    1,012
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class last night

    For me, it depends on the situation. Newbs I'll go easier on and let them know it's ok to add some zest to things. Older students, I'll go with the flow, meaning if she's going dainty, I'll go light, but if she's going full bore, then so will I. I tell everyone I train with the first time to let me know if I'm going too hard/fast/soft/slow for them. Haven't had any real problems so far.

    Oh, and Miyu and I go full tilt...it has frightened folks. LOL
    ..especially when sticks are involved.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

  12. #12
    EndlessRising's Avatar
    EndlessRising is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    205
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class lastnight

    Haha that must have been like walking on egg shells. I'm sure you'll feel more comfortable with time. I remember when I was a beginner I would be a little shy with anyone I was partnered up with, especially woman because it was a new experience for me. But I grew to get used to it and I don't mind working with anyone at all. The beginners always are shy at first (female or male) but I've learned to do a few things to try and coax them out of their shell. Like I always try to give them a lot of positive re-enforcement, I always make it clear that I will never get mad if they make contact because I am willingly ledning my body to them to practice on. Sometimes I'll be a little goofy and over animate my reactions when they go through their techs with me to see if I can get them to crack a smile. Just little things to make them feel more at ease. Also make sure to lead by example! If you go light then they will go light as well. Sooner or later they're gonna have to figure out that kenpo hurts

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,361
    Thanks
    841
    Thanked 480 Times in 291 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class last night

    Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Then I definitely want to work out with you because then I can kick your butt and you won't do a thing to stop me. Muhhhhaaahhhahhahahahaha!

    --Amy
    LOL! Go Amy!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Forney TX
    Posts
    1,068
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 83 Times in 55 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class lastnight

    Just thought I would bump this thread it’s funny looking back. Now many classes later I have partnered up with my instructors wife quite a few times since then. I am still a little nervous but I am much better at dealing with it and have so much better control.

    As for the lady that started the same time I did, well she is MIA haven’t seen her in class in about 6 months now. Its crazy how many people have come and gone since I started.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

  15. #15
    NickName99's Avatar
    NickName99 is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wallaceburg, Ontario
    Posts
    510
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 96 Times in 61 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class lastnight

    Im in your shoes, I have to practise on my instructors wife, also btw co-instructor. Its ackward as hell.... I dont want to accidently hit the "areas"
    I'm not to concerned with hurting her, after all she is married to the instructor lol. But I hear ya, I dont think its ever goes away completely.

    good luck to ya!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class lastnight

    Quote Originally Posted by hemi View Post
    Well last night in class I found myself in a unique position. We were practicing five swords with a partner, and well I was partnered up with my instructor’s wife. There’s no pressure there na, none at all. My instructor wants us to do the tech’s with energy and I have good control but dang if I was to mess up that would have been bad. But anyway it all worked out she is a very nice lady, she is in phase 2 but sometimes she works out in our phase one class and i tend to look up to her as she is a few belts higher than myself.
    This type of apprehension is common and easily fixed.
    You can tap it out in a minute or two.
    Just massage the Central meridian lymphatic as you say OUT LOUD to yourself, "even though I feel pressure working out with the instructor's wife, I totallly accept and appreciate myself". Do it 3 times.
    The apprehension, if it is a small amount on the SUDS scale, will have totally disappeared.

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class last night

    Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    Then I definitely want to work out with you because then I can kick your butt and you won't do a thing to stop me. Muhhhhaaahhhahhahahahaha!--Amy
    Actually, humor aside, that is valid.

    Especially in our middleclass society where we have certain rules and expectations towards women.

    Of course in my classes all women must wear groin cups and chest (breast) protection.

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class lastnight

    Quote Originally Posted by NickName99 View Post
    Im in your shoes, I have to practise on my instructors wife, also btw co-instructor. Its ackward as hell.... I dont want to accidently hit the "areas"
    I'm not to concerned with hurting her, after all she is married to the instructor lol. But I hear ya, I dont think its ever goes away completely.

    good luck to ya!
    Actually those areas (breasts) can be protected by doing a daily shower routine to massage the chest lymphatics around the breasts.

    That type of daily massage will greatly reduce the chance of breast cancer.

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    My own private Idaho
    Posts
    5,298
    Thanks
    4,906
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,192 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class lastnight

    I will not hit a woman in training. A light tap but definitely nothing more. I just will not do it, period. On the other hand, I've been hit very hard by them on many occasions...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: unique position in class lastnight

    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    I will not hit a woman in training. A light tap but definitely nothing more. I just will not do it, period. On the other hand, I've been hit very hard by them on many occasions...
    We do NOT have women in our schools.

    We have Kenpo Karate STUDENTS!

    Some just have different body parts.

    And we whomp on them all, as we are paid to do and as we MUST do if we are to be honest with them and their training goals.

    If we don't whomp on them, they are NOT getting the 'feedback' that they've paid us for, so we would then be short-changing them and belittling them by training them incorrectly.

    That attitude is NOT fair to them.

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Escaping Arts of Kosho Ryu
    By Blackcatbonz in forum Japanese Kempo
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10-14-2006, 02:56 AM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-05-2006, 06:55 PM
  3. Basics - Body Position
    By dubljay in forum Parkers Kenpo (EPAK) - General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-09-2006, 10:18 PM
  4. Time spent in class
    By dubljay in forum Kenpo General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2005, 12:12 PM
  5. Class Review
    By Miyu in forum Humor
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 10:31 PM