Thread: When did Mr Parker?

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,322 Posts

Default When did Mr Parker?

When did Mister Parker become widely known as Master Parker?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 1,226 Posts

Default Re: When did Mr Parker?

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    When did Mister Parker become widely known as Master Parker?
    I thought this had been discussed before. You asked a very similar question in 06/2017.

Doc's post:
    Mr. Parker HATED being called "master" anything but students had been calling him that since he opened his first school in Pasadena in 1956. Unlike many who clung to titles or addressed themselves as "sifu," 'sensei," "master" whatever or some other nonsense, he always introduced himself as simply, "Ed Parker."

People would call the house and say, "This is master so-and-so." Mr. Parker would say "Mister who?" Every time they would say "master," he would say "mister." You'd be surprised how much that bothered some people. He felt that titles must be earned but had no meaning unless others felt you deserved it. "You can call yourself anything, "he said, "but if you have to give yourself a title, than you have no real title at all." Others called him "Master," "Professor," "Grandmaster," "Senior Grandmaster," etc.

For him the term "master" had a religious connotation and he would always say, "There's only one Master, and I am not him. I put my pants on one leg at a time, and I ride the porcelain pony once a day." Martial arts titles are worthless to everyone but your own students. He never used them and neither do I. He allowed their use in his system for teachers and students, but like rank it was a necessary evil catering to egos to be commercially successful.

As SGM Parker's popularity spread, I would guess that the title did as well.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

Doc (1 Week Ago),KirkS (1 Week Ago),nelson (1 Week Ago)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,322 Posts

You're right Punisher blame my brain fog! Lol

Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 1,226 Posts

No worries. I have done the same thing. Had a question and then looked it up and found I had asked it before.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links