Thread: Can I train in this space?

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Default Can I train in this space?

Some time back, I though I was going to be moving. So, I went about the place and threw/gave away a lot of stuff I had been hanging on to.

I changed my mind, and didnt' move. But, now I have...uh....an almost empty storage space in the basement.

The space is surprisingly big. 8 feet wide, at least 15 feet long and 10 feet high. Concrete floor and back wall, chicken wire doors and side walls, wood crossbeam ceiling. While I had my stuff up on pallets, there does not appear to be a water problem. I'm curious if I can use this area to do some training. My living room is big enough for me to exercize or otherwise do forms and techniques, but I'm wondering if I can do something extra with the storage space.

I was thinking about hanging a heavy bag in the space and somehow fixing it up so I can do some punching drills. I'd probably need to put down some kind of mat, as I imagine that would be no fun to do on concrete.

But...I have no clue what I'm doing.

So...what do you all think? If you had a cell of space that you could remake in to a training area, how would you do it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Can I train in this space?

Sounds like the space has a lot of potential to be a great work out space. You can hang a bag from the ceiling or get a water filled base heavy bag. Yo can get interlocking mats at most Wal-Marts for about $15 per 4 mats, spend $100 and you will have a good work out floor.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Sure! I don't have a basement. I have to rearrange furniture everytime I want to practice movements that need a lot of space.

I wish I had an 8 x 15 space.

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Depends on your goals. Thats plenty of space for some workout gear (heavy bag, exercise bike or elliptical system). I can also see doing some close quarters sparring in there (It's about the size of our spare room, if we moved everything out I think).
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Kenpo is designed to work in a phone booth so you have lots of room.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Plenty of room for a heavy bag, chin-up bar, or other equipment. You can order mats at greatmats.com for really good prices. They have the puzzle mats that come in squares of 2x2 (4 sq ft.) in different colors. Be creative and have fun with it. The better you like it, the more apt you are to spend time training there. =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Great ideas, Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
    Depends on your goals. Thats plenty of space for some workout gear (heavy bag, exercise bike or elliptical system). I can also see doing some close quarters sparring in there (It's about the size of our spare room, if we moved everything out I think).
    In terms of my goals...what I would like to do is to get in as much overall MA training as possible, and to see if I can use the space for equipment (such as a heavy bag) that would perhaps otherwise be out of space in the living space.

My gym is right up the street, yet I rarely go. My school is 30-45 minutes away, yet I am there as much as possible. So, I think I'd get more use out of the space if I stuck with MA training.

I never thought of sparring. That is a great idea. I wish I lived closer to my school than I do...my distance makes it a bit of a challenge to get together with my classmates, but definitely worth trying. Thank you so much, Bob!

GreatMats.com is a cool site...not only do they have different colors, but different thicknesses as well. More expensive than WalMart, but they may be worth it.

This is going to be fun!

If anyone else has any ideas...I'm all ears.

Carol

Thanks

Paint it the walls a bright color, put up motivational posters and pics of Martial artists you admire. The more you like the room, the more you will ise it. A TV with VCR or DVD player would also be useful especially if your school sells their own training tapes.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links