Thread: Instructor Training

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Instructor Training

For the school owners out there who has an Instructor Training program. Where you teach your students how to be instructors for your school.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: Instructor Training

We have one at our school, but I have been unable to attend. From what I understand, this particular course seems to focus more on the business aspects of running a school.

I had an old instructor, Ray Arquilla, who did it once a month for years. He talked about how to teach the moves. Praise, correct, praise, etc.

He taught history, how to teach the basics, etc.

I had that class over 20 years ago and I still utilize the valuable information I learned from it.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

We really don't have a structured program that I know of. I was "thrown out the boat" so to speak. It started out when the owner had to go out of town for a month on business and left me to run things. That was my training! LOL. We routinely "ease" higher ranks into the role tough. First by letting them warm a class up and eventually moving into letting them teach a class on their own with no assistance.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I have a program called L.I.T.(Leaders In Training). where I teach memebers of me school how to be teachers. I have 5 levels of L.I.T. with incentives for the person. Discounts on equipment, tuition, and testings through out the 5 levels.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Instructor Training

We start teaching how to teach early on. No special isolated course, but everyone spends time teaching someone else. I do this for a myriad of reasons. If you wait until they ARE a black belt, then it's too late. Becoming proficient at anything requires practice. Also as I am sure all of you know, when you really started to understand the materiel, is when you had to think and talk your way through it, as well as answer all the oddball questions that never occurred to you when you learned the technique. It forces you to truly contemplate the technique. Certainly no better time to start learning this, than when you have easy access to your teacher to verify any doubts or validate good ideas. Even if I am availible I will often allow an another student to teach or discuss a technique. It helps them build confidence in their techniques and teaching abilities. It also serves to ensure they are constantly practicing back level materiel. There is nothing like improving communications skills to ensure the continuance of your art. I often find that I learn something from listening to the varied methods of describing a familiar technique from a unique perspective as well. It's just a win-win scenario all the way around.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SifuDangeRuss View Post
    We start teaching how to teach early on. No special isolated course, but everyone spends time teaching someone else. I do this for a myriad of reasons. If you wait until they ARE a black belt, then it's too late. Becoming proficient at anything requires practice. Also as I am sure all of you know, when you really started to understand the materiel, is when you had to think and talk your way through it, as well as answer all the oddball questions that never occurred to you when you learned the technique. It forces you to truly contemplate the technique. Certainly no better time to start learning this, than when you have easy access to your teacher to verify any doubts or validate good ideas. Even if I am availible I will often allow an another student to teach or discuss a technique. It helps them build confidence in their techniques and teaching abilities. It also serves to ensure they are constantly practicing back level materiel. There is nothing like improving communications skills to ensure the continuance of your art. I often find that I learn something from listening to the varied methods of describing a familiar technique from a unique perspective as well. It's just a win-win scenario all the way around.
    Well said! We are told to achieve rank we must be able to teach to that level. Every time I'm allowed to help somone I get more insight into the material.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SifuDangeRuss View Post
    I also have to say that this method helps build commrodory and respect for one another. Learning is a two way street.
    Loyal student of Sifu DangeRuss
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

Thanks

The idea of being able to teach a technique before you really know it comes around and smacks me every time I teach a technique for the first time.

When I've never taught the technique (or only taught it, say, once), then I tend to stumble a bit in how I present it, sometimes I have to do the move by myself once or twice because suddenly I can't remember how to do certain parts or why, etc.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

We have an instructors class once every week. This is where we ensure all of the instructors are 'on the same page' when teaching techniques to ensure consistency and also make sure we are teaching the techniques and forms and sets correctly. I know I have forgotten techniques I haven't looked at in a long time so I find this is a great help. All instructors are required to attend at least two classes per month in order to keep teaching. This was started about 6 months ago and has been a real success.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links