Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Journals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Journals

Who keeps a training journal, or a log of what you do and where you do it.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Journals

I don't keep a journal. Although we encourage our students too.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I keep a journal day to day. I record what is covered in class, any drills that were done and how effective I felt they were. I also make a little Kenpo to do list to be completed before my next class. I also write down any questions that come to mind so I can ask next class.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I do in my mind if that counts.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I try to make notations in my workbook. It's not a journal, but it helps me to keep track of what's going on and where I've come from.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I don't know if one would consider it a "journal", but I have notes and papers everywhere. My compiled notes from classes over the last 7 years make up my syllabus reference guide. It's about 2 1/2 inches thick with descriptions of techniques, notes on forms, principles, drills, etc, etc, etc. I have floppy's and disc's with clips and info saved on them as well.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I have a notebook that I've kept since the beginning. It has all of my notes froms the seminar's I've attended. I also have a paper that I keep a running log on of what I practice everyday. Being of forms, tech., sets, basics, and it's divided up according to belt rank. I can pick up whever I left off from the previous day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    I don't know if one would consider it a "journal", but I have notes and papers everywhere. My compiled notes from classes over the last 7 years make up my syllabus reference guide. It's about 2 1/2 inches thick with descriptions of techniques, notes on forms, principles, drills, etc, etc, etc. I have floppy's and disc's with clips and info saved on them as well.
    Same here. Except that now I'm having to go back and compile my notes by hand. I've about decided that this computer is not good for anything except talking to you guys. The discs do work well for target practice, though.

Thanks

I used to, years ago, but now I just rely on my exceptional memory to keep track of....um....what were we talking about again?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    Same here. Except that now I'm having to go back and compile my notes by hand. I've about decided that this computer is not good for anything except talking to you guys. The discs do work well for target practice, though.
    I learned a few years back to make copies of all the info I had and put it on disk/floppy/data stick...something, and then keep it in a separate location. That way, worse case scenario..like your house burns down, you have a duplicate in a safe location. You can put them in a safety deposit box, or leave them at your parents for instance.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

You learned that CYA method from work, huh CC?
    Yeah, I'm actually working on keeping better notation b/c it never seems to fail... I think I've got something down in class, then I have a massive brain fart when I get home and have no idea what I was supposed to do. That's when CC gets bombarded w/im's from me asking way too many questions.
    A journal would be helpful during those times...
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I journaled for quite a while, but it always seemed to impress my memory more when I just focused and stopped trying to scribble it all down. I do think DVR's are great though. Too bad you can't use them at camps.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    I journaled for quite a while, but it always seemed to impress my memory more when I just focused and stopped trying to scribble it all down. I do think DVR's are great though. Too bad you can't use them at camps.
    You're right. In class or on the mat, I focus on learning. But I find it helps my memory if as soon as possible I sit down and make detailed notes on everything I learned. Then there is the added bonus of having the notes when my memory fails any way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    You can't take your laptop to camp?

Thanks

Training logs or journals can be a great way of keeping track of your training. They are also a great tool for instructors since they get you into the habit of recording everything you have done.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

A short pencil is better than a long memory. Besides, I ain't too bright and needin' to wright stuff down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IRONGATOR
    A short pencil is better than a long memory. Besides, I ain't too bright and needin' to wright stuff down.
    ...and usually quite diligent at doing so I might add. I am often stopped midsentence so that he can make an entry in his notebook. ROFL.

Thanks

I log everything I practice day to day and have done so for the last 3 years. It really helps me keep track of balancing everything out.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

I am thinking about offering a download of all the master sheets for the log book I have created on my webite. I am curious as to what everyone thinks would be a fair price for something like that.

There are 10 sheets and the person can make as many copies as needed when ever they need them.

Cover page
    Personal info
    How to Use the Log Book
    Samples
    Calendar
    Goals
    Day to Day Training Log
    Forms
    Checklists
    Notes

I was thnking of using paypal and offereing the master copies for $4 or $5 CDN. Once the person has paid it will be available for download off my site.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    I am thinking about offering a download of all the master sheets for the log book I have created on my webite. I am curious as to what everyone thinks would be a fair price for something like that.

There are 10 sheets and the person can make as many copies as needed when ever they need them.

Cover page
    Personal info
    How to Use the Log Book
    Samples
    Calendar
    Goals
    Day to Day Training Log
    Forms
    Checklists
    Notes

I was thnking of using paypal and offereing the master copies for $4 or $5 CDN. Once the person has paid it will be available for download off my site.
    Sounds like a decent idea.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links