Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Video/DVD Lessons

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Video/DVD Lessons

How do you ladies and gentlemen feel about obtaining a black belt through video lessons? What do think a person doing this would miss out on? Or would that person miss out anything?

Thanks

Default Re: Video/DVD Lessons

Interesting question. I know that I've learned a lot from watching Larry Tatum's videos (for techniques) as well as Mike Lambert's technique videos. They each have a little different take and it makes my brain have to engage.

For some of my techniques, I have learned from the tape, then I go to class and practice on someone and/or ask my instructor if I'm doing it right. Sometimes I am and sometimes there's something that Darryl shows me to make it better.

I don't think a person should get a black belt from tapes. People think they're doing stuff right all the time and aren't. Without someone to help, it would be nearly impossible to learn it all right.

And drills and such.....if you're not in class, nobody is showing you various drills and combinations and other things. It's all fairly static.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (08-01-2007)

Thanks

I think a video is a great aide if you know what youre doing - you know what to look for in it. Someone who has never done MA before will have NO idea whats going on and will be doing it wrong, if they do it at all.
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

No.

I agree with Amy on the why. Once you have a foundation, you can learn from a video; but, like finding a good teacher, you must find a good video.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

One thing related to this that I have enjoyed is video taping privates. You could have the best, well-written notes in the world and still miss something you received in a private or seminar. I think they are great for review and I am happy that I was able to tape some of the privates and lessons that I have been allowed too.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Your responses are in line with what I expected, but I see allot of Kenpo videos available. I guess since Kenpo has such a large curriculum, videos are a good complement to private lessons.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTKenpo
    Your responses are in line with what I expected, but I see allot of Kenpo videos available. I guess since Kenpo has such a large curriculum, videos are a good complement to private lessons.
    There are several video promotion services available now, including those by well-respected kenpo seniors (Tatum, Sullivan offhand). Maybe an exceptional person can develop good skill through this, but I'm still pretty skeptical for the vast majority of students.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

This brings me to a good question! I know you guys mentioned Mr. Tatum's videos, what are some other good ones? I'm looking for some....

Thanks

I like the Tatum videos for the techniques and I like the Planas videos for the forms. Actually I like Tatum for both, but on the vids that I have, Planas' form breakdowns are way way more indepth.

If you don't wan't to spend all that money up front, you can rent from a number of online tape rental outfits, one that I have rented from in the past is Goldstar video. www.goldstarvideo.com

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeff5
    This brings me to a good question! I know you guys mentioned Mr. Tatum's videos, what are some other good ones? I'm looking for some....
    I have many of Tatum's videos and most of Mike Lambert's videos. I like both of them. They have very different styles, but each gives a unique perspective. (I'm partial to the 'kenpo control' video. Never seen the knife one) And Mr. Tatum has a bunch of the When Kenpo Strikes that I haven't seen yet, so I can't comment on those.

http://thewcaf.com/mlkka/
    http://ltatum.com

For techniques, I don't have any others. I guess it depends what you're looking for.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Also, adding to what Amy said earlier, when you are just learning from video, you don't get to feel the moves. Feeling the techs done on a person and also on you adds a lot to your training. You can better judge placement of strikes, depth of stances, timing......it opens up a whole lot. I know that when you train in the air for a long time and then go to work on an opponent- you realize air training can lead to some bad habits. You should always have an instructor to help you fully understand the moves you are doing and use the tapes just as a tool to practice/brush up on the material you've learned in class.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan
    Also, adding to what Amy said earlier, when you are just learning from video, you don't get to feel the moves. Feeling the techs done on a person and also on you adds a lot to your training. You can better judge placement of strikes, depth of stances, timing......it opens up a whole lot. I know that when you train in the air for a long time and then go to work on an opponent- you realize air training can lead to some bad habits. You should always have an instructor to help you fully understand the moves you are doing and use the tapes just as a tool to practice/brush up on the material you've learned in class.
    I have one student who practices at various times and he usually can't make group class, so he does a lot in the air. I work with him privately and he gets so frustrated because he keeps messing up. Then he said, "But I look so GOOD in the air!"

It's amazing how you can know a move perfectly in the air, but when a body jumps in, all of a sudden you can't remember where the strikes go or even what they are.

Bodies are good.

--Amy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (08-01-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan
    ...when you are just learning from video, you don't get to feel the moves. Feeling the techs done on a person and also on you adds a lot to your training. You can better judge placement of strikes, depth of stances, timing......it opens up a whole lot. I know that when you train in the air for a long time and then go to work on an opponent- you realize air training can lead to some bad habits....
    I'm going to commit political suicide here and stick up for the video classes, if done correctly. Though I'm not familiar with his program, I can't immagine Mr. Tatum giving a belt, especially a higher belt, to someone who doesn't deserve it.

I have worked out with some of Mr. Sullivans IKCA people, and they were pretty good. Most of them used the IKCA course to augment/suppliment other systems. So they got plenty of drills and practical application. Also, I believe at purple and up, they were required to demonstrate on a partner. So none of them (as far as I know) get rank without working with someone.

Some also do video courses to get a different perspective on American Kenpo than what they are being taught. And before someone asks, I don't think that is disloyal. If a student is motivated enough to do extra work, I think that is a good thing and should be encouraged.

Not everyone can get to an AK school, and video can be a decent alternative. True, many won't stay with it or might not be able to learn that way. But, let's face it, most of the students in any school you go to are just there to pay the bills. It's not that much different.

Thanks

Video learning is good, but not all by itself. You need to have someone to practice on and to bounce things off of.

When I look at someone's videos, I like to know how to get ahold of them to ask questions. It's nice to get feedback about ideas and questions that crop up.

And, as anyone who has videotaped themselves can affirm, what you THINK you're doing, is not necessarily what you ARE doing.

That's what instructors are for -- for the feedback.

--Amy

17. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (08-01-2007)

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

I think videos are fine for reference, but not for cold-learning. My opinion is that you need a qualified and experienced instructor to tweak you as you go since alot of the nuances aren't readily visible in books or tapes.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I think the best video oriented compnay out there, from what I have seen so far would be the IKCA. They seem to have found a balance between videos, and one on one. There system of feedvback sets them apart from many other people using video as a method of teaching.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

To me this is a joke. If you do not train with REAL people and get a hands-on approch to anything you will not learn what you should. For example, I have a friend who loves to watch UFC and PrideFC and he has in the past used the Black Belt Video Series to learn. I asked him one day if he thought he could realy use anything he has learned from these things and he said he could. So just wanting to prove him wrong, I put him on the spot and through a punch to his mid section and nailed him in the sternum. He didnt even attempt to block and just fell the the ground. When he got up he started after me and I just tripped him and he fell to the ground again and he is a big kid, he is easily 5'9" and 250lbs or more. I then asked him if the DVDs and the recordings of UFC and PrideFC really did anything for him and he still believes you can learn from them just as well as you can from a class. In the long run what I am trying to say is if you do not practice blocking and reaction time no matter what Videos you watch they will not do anything for you because if you cant react to a punch in the first place how are you going to do anything from there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I believe most of us agree you need someone to work out with and test material on. If you don't have a school near you and your only option is to train by DVD/VHS, then at the very least do so with a partner. However, if there is a school within driving distance you should take advantage of that.

The tapes and DVD's I have are mostly for review of material, or to help me in an area that may need improvement. I think that if you already have experience in MA, you can branch out through this medium. But that's just because you already have a working knowledge of the concepts behind a lot of what is being taught. Someone with no experience would have difficulty executing certain maneuvers correctly.

The bottom line is that there is no substitute for hands-on, instructor assisted training. That is the best medium to learn in so if you have that available to you....use it. IMHO =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

The main problem I have with learning from videos, even if you do have a friend to practice them on is that no matter how many times I ask the video if I'm doing it right, I never get a response!

I get completely ignored and the video moves on to another technique!

Also, what I THINK I'm doing and what I'm ACTUALLY doing are usually two different things, at least when I'm first learning something.

That's why videotaping myself has been really helpful. I had to watch my form 5 about 20 times before it suddenly hit me that I was leaving out a strike. Duh.

Videos don't tell that stuff.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

You cannot become a martial artist from watching videoss, period. To think you can is a lazy way out. Find a teacher

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links