Thread: What's the difference?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default What's the difference?

In your opinion what aspect of Kenpo really sets it apart from other martial arts?

To me it is the aspect of tailoring.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Default Re: What's the difference?

Well, for starters, we're clearly better-looking than those who take other arts.

Also, since it's American, it follows the American tradition of taking what works best from all the other arts and incorporating it into our style.

We are also willing to grow and change. I don't know how true that is with other arts. I may be speaking out of turn, but it seems that that's what makes us strong.

We Will Adapt.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

A good teacher. There are plenty of quality martial arts out there. Finding a good teacher is the hardest part. Once you find both. Stick with them.

Thanks

Economy of Motion
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks

If taught by a great instructor, American Kenpo is, in my opinion, the best martial art out there.

The techniques provide answers to all kinds of attacks imaginable. Since the aim of Kenpo’s street techniques is to apply dimensional checks to control our opponent’s offense, when these checks are properly executed, another ideal phase of a technique from that position is possible should the opponent try something initially unanticipated.

The key is to effectively learn the ideal phase (standard way the move is taught) of the technique. Once the ideal phase of the self-defense techniques are mastered, Kenpo practitioners can flow from technique to the next (grafting) regardless of the opponent’s actions.

Clyde O'Briant has really drilled into my head (of which I am in complete agreement) that it is not necessary to understand the "what-if" phase of self-defense techniques since they are already built into the extensions anyway. That is one of the reasons why I just can't understand why some Kenpo instructors refuse to teach the extensions. Ed Parker taught them and required them. Why would anyone else not?

Ed Parker inserted a "what-if" and "formulation" phase into techniques so Kenpoists without knowledge of the whole system could make the techniques work for themselves. Once all of the techniques have been effectively learned, however, the what-if phase is eliminated since any formulation is a mere regurgitation of an existing ideal phase.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    In your opinion what aspect of Kenpo really sets it apart from other martial arts?

To me it is the aspect of tailoring.
    We hit the person so many times they do not know what to hold. LOL.Some people do not like the over kill but I find it humorus.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

The understanding. I don't know of any other martial art that teaches why as well as AK.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

It's as much if not more a martial science as it is a martial art.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Versitility and adaptability, unlike many other arts I have studied and investigated.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Hard to narrow it down to just one. I'd say the big ones are the way it can be adjusted so well for each individual practicioner and the logical manner in which the material is presented (we have reasons for everything...nothing is there "just because that's the way we've always done it").
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I think Kenpo is beautiful. I love the way the moves flow, I love the science, I love the effect Kung fu has great flow but it doesn't have the science or devastation of kenpo. I think the primary difference is the science and logic behind the movements in kenpo. Everything seems so well thought out from both an anatomical and psysiological perspective.

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

I'd have to say all of the above. Practicality, the ability to tailor to your body type, the great people. The list goes on and on...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis View Post
    It's as much if not more a martial science as it is a martial art.
    I Agree. The level of complexity makes me proud to be involved in the system.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    I Agree. The level of complexity makes me proud to be involved in the system.
    Tsk-tsk-tsk...not "complexity", Martin~san...but sophistication.

We are simply the logical evolution of martial arts.

(Didn't you see that article where the kenpoists were droppin' outta the trees and losing our tails and walking upright and all those forward thinking things ? I saw it on a Blackbelt cover, it must be true!)

While we back-up or theories, with solid physics and science, we are very much still an interpretive art. There is indeed beauty in the manner in which the techniques are engineered, the sophisticated study of action/reaction, as multiple strikes are delivered to dirverse targets, for a cumulitive effect that is far greater than the mere sum of it's component parts. There is wonder, that these techniques are so cleverly designed and have so many safegaurds and insurance policies built right into them, that one needn't be tthe physically strongest, or largest in a contest to be successful.

Ahhhh....I love kenpo for all of the reasons stated previously and so many more as well.

Kenpo just plain doesn't suck!

NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

The bow stances. Specifically, the way quick shifts between forward and neutral bows allow immediate reach and power with either hand.

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Jamie Seabrook pretty well summed it up. He is right on, as usual.

I am friends with many of the hard stylists and frequently visit their schools and am even on their promotion boards. I have to think differently then as they have so little in self defense. I have to judge them by their standards not ours. In many of their Black Belt tests they have a hard time coming up
    with 5 self defense techniques that would work. They simply don't train for self defense. They are very strong with stances,Kicking and punching and Kata. They simply don't work on specific self defense moves. That in my opinion makes Kenpo a lot different. No need to say more.

I am Most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    Clyde O'Briant has really drilled into my head (of which I am in complete agreement) that it is not necessary to understand the "what-if" phase of self-defense techniques since they are already built into the extensions anyway. That is one of the reasons why I just can't understand why some Kenpo instructors refuse to teach the extensions. Ed Parker taught them and required them. Why would anyone else not?
    Another thing that Clyde teaches is that the "what-if" phase of a technique is also covered by other base techniques contained further along in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    The key is to effectively learn the ideal phase (standard way the move is taught) of the technique. Once the ideal phase of the self-defense techniques are mastered, Kenpo practitioners can flow from technique to the next (grafting) regardless of the opponent’s actions.
    Yep.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links