Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What the heck is Paxtial kenpo ?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,335 Posts

Default What the heck is Paxtial kenpo ?

I saw a flyer for a seminar advertising this new kenpo style.
    Do we need this to "revitalize" kenpo as we know it? Why now is it important ?
    What do you all think ?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: What the heck is Paxtial kenpo ?

It's an Ed Parker Jr. thing.

lthough not named prior to this. It makes sense if following the latin method of naming the study of a particular art is based upon the name of latin origins. So if the latin word for peace is named Pax, then it seemed logical for me to name and art designed to attain peaceful results the study of the Paxtial Arts, as a counter balance and not a replacement to the fighting arts, or the Martial Arts.I researched the internet and various sources. The name and the course of study did not exist yet or at least not in the direction Kinetica needs to root itself and grow from. In my choosing the name Paxtial, I was just trying to define the opposite of Martial, only going back to how it was named, and not for religious or cultural, but for logical reasons. As in, right is to left, day is to night, yin is to yang, paxtial is to martial. I just did not feel that martial actually had an opposite, it does now. by Ed Parker Jr.
    Be safe,

Roach

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Roach For This Useful Post:

Doc (08-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

You know how Kenpoists tend to Yang out? This is a Yin out.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Aikido fills this nitch perfectly and has an impressive history.
    Does anyone here think this new art has a chance to succeed and do you plan on getting on board the train ?
    Does this new system have anything to do with the threatened lawsuits over the use of the Parker name or logo ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Aikido fills this nitch perfectly and has an impressive history.
    Does anyone here think this new art has a chance to succeed and do you plan on getting on board the train ?
    Does this new system have anything to do with the threatened lawsuits over the use of the Parker name or logo ?
    Probably, and I would give it more of a chance than some of the individual Kenpos.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

nelson (08-19-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

No. Paxtial Arts is NOT Kenpo. And it's not Aikido. It's Edmund's creation in an attempt to train people to resist aggression without resorting to violence. It's another option. It has nothing to do with any trademark, KAMIV stuff or anything else.
    Edmund will be here in Washington in September to get two 4 hour seminars.
    He has put a lot of thought and effort into developing this, and while it may not be everyone's cup of tea, it may well serve some .
    contempt prior to investigation is a sign of a narrow mind.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (08-25-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

No "contempt" has been expressed or is intended.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I did some research on this and like the concept. It looks a lot like Systema in its application. Not surprising given Ed Parker Jr. studied the art. Time will tell if it takes off. I wish him the best of luck.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenpo_Paladin For This Useful Post:

nelson (08-19-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,255 Posts

Video from Ed Parker Jr. on the art
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

14. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

nelson (08-20-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Watched the vid. It's s pc based program of self defense for todays' society at the best of schools. I still think Aikido is a much better choice for a host of reasons but it lacks the marketting tools to make it successful. If I was faced with the choice as to where to send my kid it would be a good Hapkido or kenpo school and definetly not Paxtial.

Thanks

Watched the vid. It's s pc based program of self defense for todays' society at the best of schools. I still think Aikido is a much better choice for a host of reasons but it lacks the marketting tools to make it successful. If I was faced with the choice as to where to send my kid it would be a good Hapkido or kenpo school and definetly not Paxtial.
    Friends don't let friends take Aikido.
    flying crane and Combatkenpo like this.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

nelson (08-20-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

I trained in Aikido for awhile. Didn't really like it, felt my Kempo Jutsu was better suited fir me. But for those that dig it, that's fine.
    Edmund's art is not Aikido, and it's not meant to be PC, whatever your definition if that is.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

nelson (08-20-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Oh. Alrighty then ! Any resemblance to Systema is superficial at best. Aikijitsu is for the bloodthirsty among us. Lol

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,891 Times in 5,564 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    No. Paxtial Arts is NOT Kenpo. And it's not Aikido. It's Edmund's creation in an attempt to train people to resist aggression without resorting to violence. It's another option. It has nothing to do with any trademark, KAMIV stuff or anything else.
    Edmund will be here in Washington in September to get two 4 hour seminars.
    He has put a lot of thought and effort into developing this, and while it may not be everyone's cup of tea, it may well serve some .
    contempt prior to investigation is a sign of a narrow mind.
    As you know Mark, Edmund is one of my students, and received his 1st black belt from me. Having had the opportunity to see him as a three year old to where he is now has been a pleasure. He is doing what his father asked him to do, and his art is indeed the antithesis of the commercial kenpo his father created based on motion, which should tell you a little bit about how Mr. Parker felt his most popular kenpo fit in in the real world. Clearly a great deal of that information is rooted in "martial fantasies" of extreme destruction to another human being, even when it is clearly not necessary. The violence of that system was one of its major selling points, but because of its roots and mandates, there was little other choices at the time.

Edmund teaches according to human anatomy and an intense study of the application of biomechanics, much as I do. The only significant difference is what he teaches is slightly more passive, with less striking yet still based upon the same strict understanding of human function. With the focus being on young people who need an alternative in the environment they are forced to exist in, while still being able to defend their actions, this would seem to be absolutely appropriate. Clearly we already have enough kids learning how to kick, stomp, and eye gouge with techniques they can't use in school fights and confrontations.

I have always encouraged him to be his own person and to only "walk in shoes that feel comfortable to you." He has found his home and he enjoys working with young people attempting to counter the extreme physical violence they are exposed to everyday, whether it be on the news, video games, or school bullies.

I'm certified in Paxtial Arts and I love it, and use it and know of its value. It is not kenpo, Aikido, karate, jiujitsu, or systema and was never designed to be. It is what it is, and like most arts, you can always find similarities in everything.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

EddieCyrax (08-24-2015),HKphooey (08-25-2015),KirkS (08-22-2015),MarkC (08-24-2015),nelson (07-12-2017),punisher73 (08-23-2015),punkmonkey (08-22-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

For bullies on the prep school playground I'm sure it works great. For potential child molestors and kidnappers that are trying to snatch your kid not so great from what I can see. Will Paxtial be a flash in the pan end end up on the scrap heap of history? Only time will tell. Give me an old fashioned "motion kenpo" school anytime !

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

For bullies on the prep school playground I'm sure it works great. For potential child molestors and kidnappers that are trying to snatch your kid not so great from what I can see. Will Paxtial be a flash in the pan end end up on the scrap heap of history? Only time will tell. Give me an old fashioned "motion kenpo" school anytime !
    Interesting perspective, but misplaced. A determined attacker who wants to abduct a stranger child will. This can be countered by simple rules that do not allow the child to be put in a vulnerable position. Staying in groups, or never allowing someone to approach you.

But more importantly, child abductions are newsworthy but, most abductions in this country actually occur by someone who is well known to the child, a relative. A mother, father, uncle, aunt, or neighbor.

Contrary to what most think, the greatest threat does not come from "strangers." The greatest physical threat to a child comes from day-to-day interaction with their peer group, and the group just above their peer group.

And if you think a child sticking his fingers in another child's eye, or smashing him in the groin, or hitting him in the throat, because he's being picked on or bullied is the answer, you are very much mistaken.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

EddieCyrax (09-24-2015),HKphooey (08-25-2015),KenpoGhost (08-24-2015),MarkC (08-24-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Doc you have completely missed the point of my post. The point regarding potential abduction was directed not at playground bullies in prep school but the adults who snatch children off the streets to torture, rape, kill or sell. Yes I know that sometimes but not always family members are to blame for the horrific acts that follow in such cases. A child of appropriate ŕge needs to know how to.stomp a foot kick an ankle or knee and run away from his attempted abductor. Such information as well as other strikes are meant to be used "in the gravest extreme " . A system that ignores or minimalizes such possibilities is in itself guilty of negligence .

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Doc you have completely missed the point of my post. The point regarding potential abduction was directed not at playground bullies in prep school but the adults who snatch children off the streets to torture, rape, kill or sell. Yes I know that sometimes but not always family members are to blame for the horrific acts that follow in such cases. A child of appropriate ŕge needs to know how to.stomp a foot kick an ankle or knee and run away from his attempted abductor. Such information as well as other strikes are meant to be used "in the gravest extreme " . A system that ignores or minimalizes such possibilities is in itself guilty of negligence .
    No, I think you missed my point. Knee jerk reactions can sometimes lead us in the wrong direction. There is nothing about the Paxtial Arts that limits what you learn, it simply proposes a methodology that children and the young can use in dealing with each other, until something else appropriate is needed. My own children growing up knew what to do, especially since I have all girls. But, they also knew not to use the maiming techniques against their peers unless they felt their life was threatened. They knew sticking your fingers in a classmates eyes because he was being a jerk was inappropriate, but that doesn't mean they couldn't do it if it was needed.

Once again, the truth is most children are injured, sexualized, kidnapped, and killed by a relative or friend. Of all children under age 5 murdered from 1976 - 2005 , (the stats most recently available since a change in the reporting procedure) ...

31% were killed by fathers
    29% were killed by mothers
    23% were killed by male acquaintances
    7% were killed by other relatives
    3% were killed by strangers

When you hear the sensationalized reporting of "missing children," remember; There is approximately one child abduction murder for every 10,000 reports of a missing child.
    (Source: Polly Klass Foundation)

In other words: The Department of Justice reports that of the 800,000 children reported “missing” in the United States each year, 115 are the result of “stereotypical kidnapping” – a stranger snatching the child. About 90 percent of abductees return home within 24 hours and the vast majority are teenage runaways.

For more statistics and an analysis of the number of children reported missing versus the number of children actually abducted by strangers, if you're interested go see the Second National Incidence Studies of Missing, Abducted, Runaway and Thrown away Children conducted by the Department of Juvenile Justice & Delinquency Prevention:
    http://www.ncjrs.gov/html/ojjdp/nismart/03/ns5.html

Knowing these facts, and putting things in their rightful context, and ignoring the so-called "news," the Paxtial Arts make more sense for children than studying "motion-kenpo." Anything else they need to know for real danger, you can teach them a few minutes each day. But the really hard part with young children is how easily they trust anyone that seems nice, no matter what you tell them. Time after time, we've taken parents who have taught and trained their children in no certain terms to never go with or talk to strangers. Then we get an officer posing as an abductor a dog leash to go into a park, and WITH THE PARENTS PERMISSION AND OBSERVING, attempt to lure a child away. 9 times out of 10 parent s are horrified to see their child walking away with a policeman posing as an abductor holding his hand looking for a "lost puppy." That will make your blood run cold. The answer is simple; children that are really young should never be out of your sight, even though the risks are higher with people they actually know.

Tad and Phillip like this.

www.MSUACF.com

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (08-25-2015),EddieCyrax (09-24-2015),HKphooey (08-25-2015),KenpoGhost (08-24-2015),Phillip (09-27-2015),Tad (09-02-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

As always you are right when you back up your claim with statistics unless you are talking about the "unlucky" 3 %.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

As always you are right when you back up your claim with statistics unless you are talking about the "unlucky" 3 %.
    VERY unlucky. It happens, just not as much as we think. The media over blows what sells, while actually suppressing other politically incorrect information. Did you know that almost 40,000 people die of the flu every year? Or that more children drown than die from gun accidents at home? It's all about what they want you to know.

www.MSUACF.com

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (08-25-2015),EddieCyrax (09-24-2015),MarkC (08-24-2015),nelson (08-24-2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links