Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What the heck is Paxtial kenpo ?

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,939 Times in 5,595 Posts

Default Re: What the heck is Paxtial kenpo ?

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Didn't Mr. Parker once say, "It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6?" Or has this now been rewritten as we are to play "civilly, nicey"?
    It is a very cavalier statement taken wholly out-of-context that many use as an excuse to justify mayhem and inappropriate behavior that I have seen run rampant through "Kenpo" even in some of the so-called "training" where students are abused.

The statement itself implies a "life or death" scenario, in which case it makes complete sense. However, for the bulk of the curriculums named and taught techniques, none of them are life or death situations, that have been given over-kill life or death responses. Most people never face a life or death self-defense situation in their lifetime.

So taken out of context, you can justify anything, but if you hand sword a guy in the throat for putting his hand on your shoulder as "Sword and Hammer" is written, and he dies, you will be judged by twelve when you shouldn't have to be if you had good sense and minimal actual skill. You can not justify "fingers to the eyes" in "Five Swords," and that saying will get you some significant jail time for mayhem unnecessarily inflicted for only a right punch.

Mr. Parker saw students misuse technique information, and it was for this reason (and others), that he withheld a great deal of knowledge because he knew it would be mishandled by some of the neanderthals, and he knew he had a bunch of them who loved to throw that phrase around for justification of their own sadistic fantasies, which most of the techniques were.

Some believe once a bad guy commits a transgression it's "open season" to do whatever you want in vigilante fashion. A great many of them are serving time for their sick and twisted misuse that goes beyond actually defending yourself. You are allowed to use force to overcome aggression but no more than is necessary. Anything beyond that is a crime, and a timely reminder that you may be found not guilty of doing some pretty bad stuff, but you can still be sued civilly and lose everything you got for an extra punch, kick, or poke to the eye.

Because of my occupation Mr. Parker and I always worked from different perspectives. I taught him about the law in encounters, and we examined alternative methods reflected in my philosophically different teaching.

The mayhem has always been a "selling" point with Kenpo Karate, which I have never taught, but don't let that phrase ruin your life if that is what you learned.
    Sami and Celtic_Crippler like this.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (09-13-2019),nelson (07-24-2017)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,335 Posts

Such a statement was never used by me in a "cavalier" manner! Lol I thought it needed to be repeated however. I know all about the consequences of over reaction as it nearly happened to me on a couple of occasions. There but by the grace of God were two individuals that pulled me off a person thereby saving me from a possible prison term. In the gravest extreme one should be able to do whatever is neccesar to preserve his or her own life. I don't buy into quoting statistics to justify inaction or an inadequate response to an attacker. The book's are cooked as far as I'm concerned. Many crimes go unreported that never show up on paper. Carry the phone number of a good lawyer in your pocket as I did for many years when I worked and later owned a bar and band club. Better be safe than sorry in any case!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nelson For This Useful Post:

Doc (07-24-2017)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    So all this effort is for the family BBQ? Usually my aunt will suffice for bringing my drunk uncle back to his senses. Plus, frankly, for what is shown in that video to work, he would actually have to be so drunk that he would probably tumble to the ground all by himself.

That said, I do encourage every martial artist to learn some functional techniques that enable them to control an aggressor without inflicting real damage. Joint locks can be useful for that. Learning to do them with the required speed and precision takes some time and effort though, and I would suggest turning to a good Jujitsu, Hapkido or Aikido school for that.

That is the beauty of it... it is not "all this effort" its a course that can be learned in just two days... TWO DAYS... after which you are able to "free flow" with it and from their you have your entire life to perfect it... Also note that again what it is doing is adding an additional skill set in-between verbal deescalation (Verbal Judo) and the Martial Arts. Now, I may be failing to accurately assess many of the macho responses that I have seen in regards to Paxial Arts but from where I am sitting it looks like this:

Their is this thing that I never heard of before, that I have no direct experience with and no second hand accounts about that I completely understand to the point that I can brush it aside as ineffective and profess that things I am more familiar with are by far superior to this thing that I have never seriously analyzed.

Now that is just how it comes off to me because its not like any one is saying, After I completed my instruction in Paxial Arts I was confronted by a situation in an appropriate environment where it seemed that the Paxial Arts approach would work and just as I tried it, the guy chopped off my legs with a machete, it utterly failed me... no nope no one is saying that, instead they are like "Oh Snap! something different, something unfamiliar, something foreign to my limited frames of reference must be a bunch of BS!" I just wish people would give it a chance, I believe it would surprise them.

V/R

Sami Ibrahim

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sami For This Useful Post:

Doc (07-24-2017),nelson (07-25-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,480 Posts

Personally, I think the whole references to drunk Uncle Freddie at the family BBQ is really just an analogy for saying, hey often times extreme violence is not appropriate in a given situation, and people need to be able to understand that and act accordingly.

it isnt really about the family BBQ.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (08-15-2017),nelson (07-25-2017),punisher73 (07-24-2017)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,939 Times in 5,595 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    Personally, I think the whole references to drunk Uncle Freddie at the family BBQ is really just an analogy for saying, hey often times extreme violence is not appropriate in a given situation, and people need to be able to understand that and act accordingly. It isn't really about the family BBQ.

I can always depend on you to "get it!" I don't think anyone would create an approach that is specifically designed for only family BBQ's and a guy named "Bob." But then again .......
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

flying crane (07-24-2017),nelson (07-25-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 610 Posts

If Ladder of Force considerations are not part of what you teach in some shape or form, then you are derelict in your teaching. Regardless of art or rank. Every state implies, or outright states, such presence of mind be present in any definition of self-defense. I have put a guy down solidly on his butt with a heel palm to the sternum. Could have just as easily punched him in such a way to make his head hit the ground first. Why didn't I? Didn't need to, and I knew it. Sorry folks, presence of mind is easily 65-70% of "martial arts". Did your teacher(s) do you a service or a disservice? And yes, it is just that simple.

Respects,

Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

Doc (07-25-2017),flying crane (07-25-2017),jdinca (07-25-2017),John Brewer (07-26-2017),nelson (07-27-2017),punisher73 (07-26-2017)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    It is a very cavalier statement taken wholly out-of-context that many use as an excuse to justify mayhem and inappropriate behavior that I have seen run rampant through "Kenpo" even in some of the so-called "training" where students are abused.

The statement itself implies a "life or death" scenario, in which case it makes complete sense. However, for the bulk of the curriculums named and taught techniques, none of them are life or death situations, that have been given over-kill life or death responses. Most people never face a life or death self-defense situation in their lifetime.

So taken out of context, you can justify anything, but if you hand sword a guy in the throat for putting his hand on your shoulder as "Sword and Hammer" is written, and he dies, you will be judged by twelve when you shouldn't have to be if you had good sense and minimal actual skill. You can not justify "fingers to the eyes" in "Five Swords," and that saying will get you some significant jail time for mayhem unnecessarily inflicted for only a right punch.
    However, if an attack is "life or death" or not pretty much depends on its further circumstances. They can totally change the picture. Is the attacker grabbing your shoulder because he just wants to get your attention? Is he intending to pull you into his car and grabbing you while you are trying to get away? There could even be a weapon in his other hand...

Mr. Parker saw students misuse technique information, and it was for this reason (and others), that he withheld a great deal of knowledge because he knew it would be mishandled by some of the neanderthals, and he knew he had a bunch of them who loved to throw that phrase around for justification of their own sadistic fantasies, which most of the techniques were.
    The way I see it, Kenpo was designed to make as sure as possible that you get out of a situation alive. Yes, depending on the circumstances of an attack, the suggested solution can be going overboard. It is on you to downscale it appropriately then.

E.g., in Sword and Hammer, the "sword" can hit the nose or the shoulder, rather than the throat. I do practise such alternative versions, because under the stress of an attack, I may not be able to do something I never practised before.

Some believe once a bad guy commits a transgression it's "open season" to do whatever you want in vigilante fashion. A great many of them are serving time for their sick and twisted misuse that goes beyond actually defending yourself. You are allowed to use force to overcome aggression but no more than is necessary. Anything beyond that is a crime, and a timely reminder that you may be found not guilty of doing some pretty bad stuff, but you can still be sued civilly and lose everything you got for an extra punch, kick, or poke to the eye.

Because of my occupation Mr. Parker and I always worked from different perspectives. I taught him about the law in encounters, and we examined alternative methods reflected in my philosophically different teaching.

The mayhem has always been a "selling" point with Kenpo Karate, which I have never taught, but don't let that phrase ruin your life if that is what you learned.
    Could it be that in the 1950s, when Mr. Parker started teaching his system, law enforcement didn't care as much as today when a streetfighter happened to get maimed or killed?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

KirkS (07-25-2017),nelson (07-25-2017)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Interesting last comment that may apply to the 1960's as well. That's when we first started hearing the phrase "police brutality". Interesting note on Mr. Parker ' s mind games with the Neanderthals! Lol I'm glad we're all beyond such games here on the forum!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelson For This Useful Post:

KirkS (07-25-2017),Star Dragon (07-25-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,263 Posts

Personally, I think the whole references to drunk Uncle Freddie at the family BBQ is really just an analogy for saying, hey often times extreme violence is not appropriate in a given situation, and people need to be able to understand that and act accordingly.

it isnt really about the family BBQ.
    In the other similiar thread, I also made reference to the "drunk uncle" at the party.

BUT, in college, my roommate got very intoxicated and tried to pick a fight with me because he knew I studied "krotty". He threw a VERY crappy kick that I deflected and as his balance was going forward, I added a little extra shove to help him along. He fell and then started to cry about me "not beating his a--". I didn't have to hurt him or hit him and it was over.

In another time, I had a very upset guy focus on me and as I tried to de-escalate the situation, I blocked a right/left roundhouse punch combo and just pushed him away again trying to tell him I wasn't looking for trouble. After his failed attack, he thought better of it and left.

In both situations, I could have used more force but my read of the situations didn't require trying to hurt them.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (07-27-2017),flying crane (07-27-2017)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    That is the beauty of it... it is not "all this effort" its a course that can be learned in just two days... TWO DAYS... after which you are able to "free flow" with it and from their you have your entire life to perfect it... Also note that again what it is doing is adding an additional skill set in-between verbal deescalation (Verbal Judo) and the Martial Arts. Now, I may be failing to accurately assess many of the macho responses that I have seen in regards to Paxial Arts but from where I am sitting it looks like this:

Their is this thing that I never heard of before, that I have no direct experience with and no second hand accounts about that I completely understand to the point that I can brush it aside as ineffective and profess that things I am more familiar with are by far superior to this thing that I have never seriously analyzed.

Now that is just how it comes off to me because its not like any one is saying, After I completed my instruction in Paxial Arts I was confronted by a situation in an appropriate environment where it seemed that the Paxial Arts approach would work and just as I tried it, the guy chopped off my legs with a machete, it utterly failed me... no nope no one is saying that, instead they are like "Oh Snap! something different, something unfamiliar, something foreign to my limited frames of reference must be a bunch of BS!" I just wish people would give it a chance, I believe it would surprise them.

V/R

Sami Ibrahim
    Fair enough.

It's still not up my valley, but I would tell anybody, if you think it's what you have been looking for, go explore it!

Especially, verbal de-escalation skills should be in any martial artist's tool box, IMO.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

nelson (07-26-2017)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Verbal Judo.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nelson For This Useful Post:

Star Dragon (07-27-2017)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Verbal Judo.
    It could be verbal Aikido or verbal Kenpo as well - depending on the circumstances. Whatever gets you out of there.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

nelson (07-27-2017)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quite true! In "verbality" are their different styles? Lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    In the other similiar thread, I also made reference to the "drunk uncle" at the party.

BUT, in college, my roommate got very intoxicated and tried to pick a fight with me because he knew I studied "krotty". He threw a VERY crappy kick that I deflected and as his balance was going forward, I added a little extra shove to help him along. He fell and then started to cry about me "not beating his a--". I didn't have to hurt him or hit him and it was over.

In another time, I had a very upset guy focus on me and as I tried to de-escalate the situation, I blocked a right/left roundhouse punch combo and just pushed him away again trying to tell him I wasn't looking for trouble. After his failed attack, he thought better of it and left.

In both situations, I could have used more force but my read of the situations didn't require trying to hurt them.
    exactly. And in neither case did UNcle Freddie make an appearance, nor was there BBQ to be found.
    Michael

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 610 Posts

exactly. And in neither case did UNcle Freddie make an appearance, nor was there BBQ to be found.
    Uncle Freddie is always around... lurking.
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

28. The Following User Says Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

Star Dragon (07-28-2017)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

II like sternum shots from Palm heels for for a good stunning strike. Any risk of Cardiovascular stress? Are pecs on either side more forgiving as a target?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    Uncle Freddie is always around... lurking.
    There is Freddie Kruger, the ultimate hybridization of Uncle Freddie and BBQ...
    Michael

31. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

punisher73 (07-31-2017)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

II like sternum shots from Palm heels for for a good stunning strike. Any risk of Cardiovascular stress?
    Referring to Montaigue's Encyclopedia of Dim-Mak: Conception Vessel-17 is potentially dangerous. However, a center-line strike a few inches above the level of the nipples shouldn't do too much damage.

Are pecs on either side more forgiving as a target?
    Actually, no. Stomach-15 and Stomach-16 hit by a palm heel could kill the opponent, says Montaigue, and you have to aim quite high (level with the shoulder joints) for a comparatively safe strike.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (07-29-2017),KirkS (09-13-2019)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

from Ed Parker Jr.'s Facebook page today

Please Share Our Message of Hope & Peace

My name is Ed Parker, many know my name from the Martial Arts Community. For those of you who don’t know me, I am a ...Professional Artist and a Martial Artist.
    In the early 1970’s my late father Ed Parker Sr. was named by Black Belt Magazine The Father of American Martial Arts.

My dad was born to be a Peace Keeper.

His life work, philosophies, and creation of the Art of Kenpo Karate has influenced millions of people around the world.

Hawaiian born and raised; my dad was an 11 year old island boy when he was introduced to death and war while standing in the streets of Honolulu watching Japanese torpedo bombers invade the skies of his home on the outskirts of Pearl Harbor on December 7th 1941.

I am the only son of Edmund Kealoha Parker.

My father and I share the same name and our gifts and talents were well suited for each other which is why we worked well together for the last ten years of his life.

My life over time found it’s way to the opposite side of my dad’s coin.

My destiny it seems was to become a Peace Maker.

My early life was peaceful in Pasadena California in the 1960’s and proffered me a clear contrast of experience to my dad’s childhood.

By 1963 an invasion of yellow happy faces named ‘Smiley’ exploded in my childhood on t-shirts, signs, and corners, practically mandating cheer and love of life throughout my elementary years.

In the backdrop was an ever present chatter about the war in Vietnam, but that was a distant sound and concern for a kid as young as I was.

On July 4th 1969, a few months shy of my 10th birthday, John Lennon’s anti-war single 'Give Peace A Chance’ hit the radio airwaves.

A new conversation erupted about the war in Vietnam and it clashed with the peaceful American way of life I was used to. I was old enough to understand the conversation.

My dad raised me to look for the opposite sides of coins in life and I did look in all things for contrast. It’s something quite natural for an artist.

So I guess it was fate that I came to these two life altering questions:
    * Is there an opposite science to the Martial Arts?
    * Is there an art and science to Peace?

My world was steeped from birth in the art and science of war.

Every solution I witnessed in the Martial Arts world had to do with a bruise, a dislocation, a break, a tear, a gouge or a knockout.

As a Hawaiian from a warrior culture, I wasn’t really a peaceful kid, but I didn’t understand why there was only one option; destroy!

There had to be an opposite.

This is why I went on a 30 year quest to look for an opposite science to the Martial Arts.

My search for the kinetics and science of peace happened while teaching thousands of Martial Arts students spanning 30 years, a thousand different seminars, and 14 countries around the globe.

It was within this 30 year Martial Arts lab that I actually did find the opposite kinetic science to the Martial Arts.

A peaceful self defense formula was born.

This self defense formula has been called by many of my students the “ideal anti-bully solution.”

My self defense curriculum is a culmination of the knowledge, training, and understanding I acquired from years of anatomical art schooling combined with the many lessons I learned from a lifetime of Martial Arts exposure and training.

In my curriculum art patterns and formulas are merged with the kinetic sciences, psychology and mathematics relating to the golden spiral or fibonacci sequence.

My wife Baer Parker is an educator and editor who has written curriculums in Asia and America.

Together we have written an entire curriculum of my self defense system and we have compiled thousands of notes, photos, video footage, charts, diagrams, teaching tools and related material.

We invite you to watch our 16 minute video in order to get a better understanding of who we are and what this culture changing discovery is about.

Following thousands of hours of work we have finished the writing and are now ready to typeset, design, and publish our works into a 9 book curriculum.

Our goal is to publish the 9 book curriculum by the end of 2020 or sooner.

Paxtial Arts Inc is a nonprofit corporation and we need to raise funds and awareness for this ground breaking and culture changing self defense system.

In order to publish our 9 book curriculum we are seeking your involvement and when the time is right, your participation.

You can first help us by donating at our GoFundMe campaign and second by spreading the word to people, organizations, philanthropists, or foundations who may be in a position to help us move this forward.

We all have connections to someone who can make a difference.

Today’s violence is overwhelming our world culture with divisions, talk of war, and hate tipping the global scales off balance.

WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO HAVE A DISCUSSION ABOUT PEACE?

We believe that now during this tumultuous time on earth is the perfect time to ask the right questions and balance the scale by offering peaceful solutions in order to counterbalance the heavy weights sitting on the war side of the scale.

We understand that at times war is necessary but before we go headlong and deeper into local and global war posturing; it is our appeal at Paxtial Arts Inc that we first carve out, preserve, develop, and teach what the ultimate objective is all about.

WE MUST MAKE A PLACE WHERE PEACE CAN EXIST.

We suggest that the seeds of peace must first be planted in the youth and the teachable.

The best place to plant peace first is in the heart, second in the mind; third in the body, and the soul will follow by sprouting peaceful actions outward.

MIND, BODY, and SOUL are the core foundational lessons in our peaceful self defense curriculum.

This self defense system takes the concept of peace a giant leap beyond talk.

Our self defense system offers hope and solutions to youth and adults for a more peaceful future.

This has the potential to bring about healing and a reduction to the global bully epidemic within school settings as well as outside of school settings.

The teaching of Martial Arts has not typically been conducive to educational settings due to the litigious society we are all part of, therefore it is typically found near but not in school programs.

Our Paxtial Arts self defense formula is the only self defense program and curriculum we are aware of that has successfully been taught in Charter Schools as well as entertained by Public School systems in the USA.

The Paxtial Arts Self Defense formula has been shared and taught around the world to thousands of students of the Martial Arts. It was well received and a huge success, but without a written curriculum it will not grow.

The oldest known symbol of peace came from the Mesopotamians which contained a series of three dots within a triangular pattern.

Further along in history from the Mesopotamians on April 15, 1935; Nicholas Roerich raised a Banner of Peace on a white background with 3 spheres encompassed in one uniting circle as a symbol of Eternity and Unity…

“attracting the attention of great intellects, directing from one heart to another, and awaking the idea of Peace and Benevolence among peoples."

The Roerich International Pact and Treaty was enacted for the protection of culture and values; a mere few years before the onset of World War II.

Inspired by the Mesopotamians Symbol of Peace and the Roerich Peace Banner, the Pax Cultura, and keeping in line with the evolution of these historic Peace symbols, we now present the name of our movement, the Paxtial Arts and our evolved logo of peace.

On this day September 12th 2019; one day following the 18th anniversary of September 11, 2001, and in memory of precious lives lost to war throughout history, we at Paxtial Arts Inc seek to plant seeds of peace in hearts willing to receive our clarion call to:

Create a Path for Peace
    Preserve Peace
    Sustain the Well Being of the Collective Minds, Bodies and Souls of the Future.

As my quest began with questions; my wife Baer and I will leave you with this one question:
    WILL YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE AND DONATE TODAY?

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crouching Tiger For This Useful Post:

Doc (09-13-2019),KirkS (09-13-2019)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crouching Tiger For This Useful Post:

Doc (09-13-2019),KirkS (09-13-2019),nelson (09-14-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links