Thread: Conditioning your weapons?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Conditioning your weapons?

Okay, the thread on whether or not people use gloves for bag work got me curious.

How many of you do any type of conditioning work on your weapons? What methods do you use? What adverse effects, if any, will your methods have on you in the future?

I condition my forearms (inner and outer) either by doing hard blocking drills with a partner, or by striking a door frame (or similar object). I also work my handswords and palm-heels by striking a brick wall or a tree. As far as punching, I do knuckle pushups, I don't use gloves when working the bag, and I do some low power strikes against hard objects but that's about as far as I'm going to go with punches. Since I've started doing this stuff I've noticed a definate increase in the effectiveness of some of my strikes, particularly my handswords.

So, anybody else?
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Conditioning your weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by kenpotex
    Okay, the thread on whether or not people use gloves for bag work got me curious.

How many of you do any type of conditioning work on your weapons? What methods do you use? What adverse effects, if any, will your methods have on you in the future?

I condition my forearms (inner and outer) either by doing hard blocking drills with a partner, or by striking a door frame (or similar object). I also work my handswords and palm-heels by striking a brick wall or a tree. As far as punching, I do knuckle pushups, I don't use gloves when working the bag, and I do some low power strikes against hard objects but that's about as far as I'm going to go with punches. Since I've started doing this stuff I've noticed a definate increase in the effectiveness of some of my strikes, particularly my handswords.

So, anybody else?
    I do knuckle pushups and have even used a rolling pin to desensitze my shins. I leave the trees alone though. They've never done anything to me so I don't see a need to beat them up. LOL
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

I am getting back into it and really want to make a decent makiwara- I do have a small (hand sized) sand bag to punch, and a small Makiwara plywood wrapped in thin rope (again palm sized) so you can hold it in one hand and strike the other-

I have a stack of old tires on my property that I can do shin kicks on.. that is about it- I would get a wooden dummy if:
    1. They were cheaper
    2. I had an idea how to use it

Great topic by the way- I have done techniques on the corner of a door jam or something hard but this was many years ago--
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks

Let's see....I've given this a lot of thought....and the answer is......no.

I had an instructor once who said that bruises build character.

I didn't find this to be true. I found that bruises made for lookin' ugly in shorts. And causes people to look askance at my husband.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Let's see....I've given this a lot of thought....and the answer is......no.

I didn't find this to be true. I found that bruises made for lookin' ugly in shorts. And causes people to look askance at my husband.

--Amy
    See I don't have to worry about that...I don't often wear shorts, and I don't have a husband

Thanks for the responses so far.
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amylong

--Amy
    ROFL. Priceless... Did he ever get the cops called on him? LOL
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

did the rolling of the shins.. ghaa that hurts.. but it does work.

forarms on sandbags

palm strikes on bag of river stones

Knuckle pushups (because normal pushups agrivates my wrists)

makiwara setup for head strikes... what can I say.. I live the head butt.

Iron head in the house!!!!!!

cept for me it's more like... pnly slightly harder than wood head....
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

At the begining of my Kenpo studies one of my instructors told me to punch the fraame of a door so I would flaten my knuckles out, more importantly my middle knuckle. Ummmmmm, it is safe to say that I did and I am still able to punch correctly without a flat knuckle.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I have always hit the heavy bag without gloves. I have found over the years that has helped to condition my knuckles, sword edge, ridgehand and palm, not to mention my shins and foot. Lateley I have taken to using a canvas bag filled with metal shot for striking and also on my forearms. Our school only has a couple of heavy bags now, the rest of the room is filled with wavemasters and 'bobs'. Hitting wavemasters is like punching pillows, but the bobs are decent and its nice for beginning students to have 'targets'.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I have never worn gloves on heavy bags. I only use 16 ounce gloves when doing pad work with a partner. the 16 ouncers help build cardio and condition the shoulders.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Amy,

I give you two thumbs up for using the workd askance. Does NOT get enough rotation in current conversation these days.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    At the begining of my Kenpo studies one of my instructors told me to punch the fraame of a door so I would flaten my knuckles out, more importantly my middle knuckle. Ummmmmm, it is safe to say that I did and I am still able to punch correctly without a flat knuckle.
    I have heard many old timers talk about hitting brick walls etc. I think this is how makiwara training got such a bad name. People were making stiff posts and slamming the hands into it which probably will cause long term damage. A proper makiwara and give and spring to it, and when used properly won't damage the hands.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

13. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

flying crane (03-15-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    "No conditioning no power." Some Chinese guy. LOL!!
    The older I get, the more I believe in this concept. I have trained under some people that do it, some that did it and some that have never done it. You can tell a difference in techniques. Even those that used to do it all the time, but no longer do still have harder techniques even when not attempting to.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

flying crane (03-15-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    I am embarrased to admit that I discounted the value of conditioning until very recently. The value can not be over emphasized in my opinion. Common sense is the key! It is not neccesary to cripple oneself in order to make great progress.
    I didn't in the beginning of my studies because my instructor came from the school of "punch a brick wall to flatten the cartilage" and told us not to do what he had to do, because it would damage the hand long term. We did lots of knuckle pushups on hardwood floors though. It wasn't until recently that I started with the makiwara and found that I really enjoy doing it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,482 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    I have heard many old timers talk about hitting brick walls etc. I think this is how makiwara training got such a bad name. People were making stiff posts and slamming the hands into it which probably will cause long term damage. A proper makiwara and give and spring to it, and when used properly won't damage the hands.
    I agree completely. The concept of deliberately "flattening" out your knuckles is indicative of malforming the hand due to blatant injury. There is no way you can flatten your hands without doing that damage. I can't believe it's good for you.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

18. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

jdinca (03-15-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,192 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    We have a post wrapped in tatami mats for hand conditioning, heavy bags for legs. You're dead on when you talk about using the proper method to minimize the chances of long term damage.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links