Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Trejo Seminar

Thanks

Default Frank Trejo Seminar

Hi.

Frank Trejo came to Sacramento to do a seminar yesterday. For reasons unknown, we had a very low turnout. We only had one adult from another school show up. I was pleased though because he's great to workout with.

As for the seminar, he spent the first hour telling us some history of Chow, Mitosi and Parke, about how the techniques came into being, etc. I thought it was interesting, but I was a little afraid that we wouldn't get a chance to sweat.

We spent another 45 minutes working on how to use our self-defense techniques in sparring situations. That was fun.

Just thought I'd share.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Default Re: Frank Trejo Seminar

Sounds like a session I would have enjoyed. Thanks for sharing your day with us

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

That's cool you enjoyed yourself Amy. Too bad it was clear across the country from me or I'd have been there.

What was your favorite part?
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

I saw him at one of Jeff Blays camps a few years back. Was a good session. Definitely someone I'd like to see again.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Hi.

Frank Trejo came to Sacramento to do a seminar yesterday. For reasons unknown, we had a very low turnout. We only had one adult from another school show up. I was pleased though because he's great to workout with.

As for the seminar, he spent the first hour telling us some history of Chow, Mitosi and Parke, about how the techniques came into being, etc. I thought it was interesting, but I was a little afraid that we wouldn't get a chance to sweat.

We spent another 45 minutes working on how to use our self-defense techniques in sparring situations. That was fun.

Just thought I'd share.

--Amy
    I can't believe anyone would miss out on that opportunity!?!? We'd kill to get him down here. At least you had fun and learned some things. I'm jealous!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Agreed with Bob. Mr. Trejo's Seminars @ Jeff Blay's camp were my favourites
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Mr. Trejo is an amazing instructor, and a great story teller. If yo have not heard it before ask him about how he started in the martial arts.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Rub it in why doncha!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Mr. Trejo is an excellent instructor and a great boxer of course, that is where he started. As Rob said he is a great story teller and the last time I saw him he still moves like he did in the 80's.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

He was definitely talking about boxing. He had us taking some of the techniques and changing them into boxing moves.

One of the things I thought was interesting was that he explained why so many of the hard-styles have the front foot facing forward and the back foot turned. I always thought that was a little odd, but he said it was because in China, the people fought in rice paddies full of mud.

The back foot is turned for bracing (so you don't slide in the mud) and the front foot is forward so you can move back and forth. Makes more sense that way.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

He was definitely talking about boxing. He had us taking some of the techniques and changing them into boxing moves.

One of the things I thought was interesting was that he explained why so many of the hard-styles have the front foot facing forward and the back foot turned. I always thought that was a little odd, but he said it was because in China, the people fought in rice paddies full of mud.

The back foot is turned for bracing (so you don't slide in the mud) and the front foot is forward so you can move back and forth. Makes more sense that way.

--Amy
    That makes sense to me. But wouldn't it be a little uncomfortable to fight like that? Hmmmm, maybe I will try it tonight and see how it turns out.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks

I think the TKD move forward and backward. It kind of sounds a little like fencing. They go back and forth too.

He wasn't recommending it, unless you happen to be fighting in a mud field.

He was showing how you can take alternating maces, for instance, and turn it into a sparring technique by doing it like a boxer. Hard to describe. Looks interesting.

--Amy

Thanks

I think the TKD move forward and backward. It kind of sounds a little like fencing. They go back and forth too.

He wasn't recommending it, unless you happen to be fighting in a mud field.

He was showing how you can take alternating maces, for instance, and turn it into a sparring technique by doing it like a boxer. Hard to describe. Looks interesting.

--Amy
    Maybe you should show it to us in Members in Motion

Thanks

--Amy
    I wouldn't want to expose that much of my knee cap to an opponent. Personally, I think it's a bad idea and goes against the concept of "blading" your body.

IMHO =)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    I wouldn't want to expose that much of my knee cap to an opponent. Personally, I think it's a bad idea and goes against the concept of "blading" your body.

IMHO =)
    If you were in a mud field, you might think differently. Besides, if you are up to your kneecaps in mud, it would be a lot harder to move you leg, so different means are necessarily...apparently.

--Amy

Thanks

If you were in a mud field, you might think differently. Besides, if you are up to your kneecaps in mud, it would be a lot harder to move you leg, so different means are necessarily...apparently.

--Amy
    LOL. I'll try to stay out of the mud!

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I like knowing the back story to the moves. Gives me a better perspective on the moves, and references as to why things are done certain ways.
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gimpat01
    I like knowing the back story to the moves. Gives me a better perspective on the moves, and references as to why things are done certain ways.
    He didn't tell that much stuff so much as where Parker got the idea for things. And that when he wanted to try out a move, he'd hang out in a rough area with money hanging out of his pocket and when someone came to mug him, he tried out his techniques.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Are you serious... that's either crazy or awesome, I'm still trying to decide which.

Thanks

AMy Long- Good for you! I really enjoy the history side of kempo/Kenpo so that would have been interesting...

Did Mr Trejo train with Professor Chow or Mitose? Just curious...

I have to mention a dream I had a few days ago where I was apparently at Amy Long's dojo (I have never met her or any of you folks), and we were supposed to be doing a kata and I had no idea what I was doing, it was pretty embarassing--- The dream no doubt rooted in this American Kenpo board!

I really like this board but rarely can fit into the conversation about Amer. Kenpo-
    The above is just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links