Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC and Kenpo?

Thanks

Default UFC and Kenpo?

Have events like UFC hurt Kenpo school economically?
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

Default Re: UFC and Kenpo?

I am not a big UFC watcher so I have to ask how would they?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Its something thats certainly rising in popularity. Either folks would probably just run to their nearest MA school because they have no clue (in which case it would help MA schools in general), or they would specificly find a grappling (which would hurt).
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

That stuff is all mixed martial arts pretty much. I have not seen anyone on there that does kenpo for many years.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I don't think so, I think it will turn on a new wave of people to arts they may not have known existed. Like the aerobics in the 80's sparked more people to look into different activities. Now I love my kenpo but I know not every person in the world will (we'll change em') at least the UFC sparks the more modernity of martial arts in society and doesn't just dogmatize it as a brutish pastime.
    "Say hello to Susan"
    -SGM Ed Parker

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I think anytime a flavour of the month comes along it hurts established schools. It has also hurts many schools by portraying to the public that sticking with one art is useless, which in reality a lot of arts have everything you need, the student just has to be patient enough and smart enough to look for it.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Well I canít speak on behalf of a school owner. But I am a UFC Fan, or at least I was until the grappling took over and it became boring to watch. From a new student standpoint I didnít look for a style or a school that would make me UFC material. I have a ton of respect for those guys but I think they are a little crazy. I think from watching a lot of the matches they throw most martial arts to the wind while they are standing and then get in to style specific fighting on the ground. But things like UFC tend to bring attention to martial arts and that seems like it will help bring in new students in one way or another.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Being that Chuck Lidell (the current champ) has a big ole' tattoo on his arm that says "KEMPO"..... I don't think so.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Anybody know Liddel's kempo training history?
    "Say hello to Susan"
    -SGM Ed Parker

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I would think so. I live around alot of people who watch UFC religiously and they dont understand why I study the style I do because they never see it on TV so it is'nt good to them. All the people I know who watch UFC all want to learn Muay Tai or Brazilian Ju-Jitsu because they think they are the only styles worth learning because you see so many people using the style on TV. What I try to explain to them, which they dont understand what so ever, is that when it comes down to it Kenpo is to leathal and deadly to us in a competition like UFC. So yes I think shows like UFC and PrideFC are damageing to the style in that people dont want to learn because you never SEE it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Casey_Sutherland
    Anybody know Liddel's kempo training history?
    he studies hawaiian kempo under john hackleman.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo89
    I would think so. I live around alot of people who watch UFC religiously and they dont understand why I study the style I do because they never see it on TV so it is'nt good to them. All the people I know who watch UFC all want to learn Muay Tai or Brazilian Ju-Jitsu because they think they are the only styles worth learning because you see so many people using the style on TV. What I try to explain to them, which they dont understand what so ever, is that when it comes down to it Kenpo is to leathal and deadly to us in a competition like UFC. So yes I think shows like UFC and PrideFC are damageing to the style in that people dont want to learn because you never SEE it.
    You rarely see street altercations, rapes, and murders on T.V. You usually just read about them in the paper after the person has already become a victim.

As a matter of fact, I just received an e-mail from one of our affiliate instructors. It contained graphic pix of a U.S. Marshall (a friend of his I believe) cut to shreds by a knife. I mean it too, S-H-R-E-D-S! He's alive but man it was awful. I debated posting them, but they're too graphic and I'm not sure about the age level and sensitivity of other forum members so I decided not too. Bottom line, they don't use knives in the UFC. They also have rules, and there ain't no rules out there in the really-real world. "There ain't no coming back...thery ain't no coming back...." -from The Crow.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I think anytime a flavour of the month comes along it hurts established schools. It has also hurts many schools by portraying to the public that sticking with one art is useless, which in reality a lot of arts have everything you need, the student just has to be patient enough and smart enough to look for it.
    Rob,

I couldn't agree more.

Everyone wants to be the grand poobah in everything. What they need to do is have the discipline and patience to learn their primary base art correctly in the first place, instead of running off trying to find answers elsewhere because of any PERCEIVED deficiencies they think their base art (e.g. EPAK) has. That is also a reason why I'm not into instructors changing so many of the techniques. Too many times, instructors argue, "I had to make the techniques work for me". That is true, but is there any chance that the techniques that originally didn't work for you simply didn't because you weren't taught them properly in the first place?

For example, I have heard many high-ranking Kenpo black belts in EPAK say that techniques like Circling Windmills, Blinding Sacrifice, Gathering Clouds, and Dominating Circles are "don't do" techniques and that are primarily in the system just for category completion. I took those comments and same techniques to Larry Tatum last year, and yikes, does he prove them all wrong.

One more point is noteworthy. The UFCs were initially dominated by the GRACIE's. The Gracie's are in a league of their own in Jiu-jitsu, just like Ed Parker was in a league of his own with respect to Kenpo. I had the opportunity of fighting a jiu-jitsu black belt recently (not from a Gracie background) in some full-contact and did very well.

My point? Kenpo works great on the street AND in the UFC. But in fairness, let's not classify jiu-jitsu as the be-all and end-all art because of the success of brazilian jiu-jitsu generally, and Gracie jiu-jitsu in particular.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

The UFC was created as a marketing tool for the Gracies, and it exploded into a huge phenomenon. But I have seen a severe lack of discipline in students because of the idea of if I dodn't get exactly what i want in the orde i want Iwill go elsewhere. It hurts real school, and real instructors who have put years into perfecting their craft.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

People seem to forget there is a difference between self defense and fighting. Most Martial artists have jobs and families which requires more dedication of time than does their MA hobby. With the fighters in the UFC, they are pros, fighting is their job. They have the luxury of training 8 hours a day for a fight. They also have an advantage of knowing who they will fight, how their opponet fights, their opponet's strengths and weaknesses. They prep to fight that person. That makes a huge a difference compared to a guy who attends a formal class 2 times a week for an hour, to learn some basic self defense that may enable him to escape from an untrained attacker.

I enjoy watching the UFC and Pride. I think the fighters are excellent and the level of skill that the vast majority of the fighters exhibit is awesome. But, what else would you expect from professional fighters.

HKF

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo89
    I don't think that Kenpo or any other martial art is too lethal for the ring. It's just the Kenpo is not designed for the ring. It's designed for self defense against an untrained person, to hit, hopefully do some damage, and get away to safety. I know that there are many guys out there in our system that can stand toe to toe and slug it out with the best of them. The rest either can't or don't wish to. I know myself, as I get older, don't want to stand and trade punches with some thugs who is younger and stronger than myself. I want to hit and get away.

HKF
    Last edited by hongkongfooey; 02-19-2006 at 06:55 PM.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    The UFC was created as a marketing tool for the Gracies, and it exploded into a huge phenomenon. But I have seen a severe lack of discipline in students because of the idea of if I dodn't get exactly what i want in the orde i want Iwill go elsewhere. It hurts real school, and real instructors who have put years into perfecting their craft.
    Yes Rob, you are correct. The Gracies made a fortune off of the UFC and frenzy it created. It also created a lot of close mindedness against other arts. There are many people who believe that the traditional arts have no merit. That only Boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai are real martial arts. Not even considering that all of those arts are traditional.

HKF

Thanks

Default MT: Chuck Liddel Ufc Champ Kempo Tattoo On Arm ?

Chuck Liddel Ufc Champ Kempo Tattoo On Arm ?
    By 45MAGNUM - Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:51:27 GMT

====================

does anybody know what kind of kenpo he took ?

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Default Re: MT: Chuck Liddel Ufc Champ Kempo Tattoo On Arm ?

I saw a thing on TV once I believe it's some type of Hawaiian Kempo.

Thanks

Default Re: MT: Chuck Liddel Ufc Champ Kempo Tattoo On Arm ?

I believ this topic already exists somewhere on here. I will search around and move this thread to the appropriate thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links