Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Open hand or closed fist

Which do you prefer to strike with, an open hand or a closed fist
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

Default Re: Open hand or closed fist

I prefer to hit with an open hand for a couple of reasons:

1) In a self defense situation hitting with an open hand gives the impression to most unbiased observers that you are not the agressor, that you are trying to "go easy" on the attacker. The perception of the open hand is that it less powerful, therefore less lethal. We know this is not the case, but that is usually the perception of untrained observers.

2) For me it's easier and more versatile than the closed fist. I can certainly use the closed fist when necessary for punches, backfists, hammerfists, etc., but the open hand actually is easier on my own hands. Arthritis is starting to creep in and I don't experience the pain while striking with my hands open as I do when my hands are closed.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I pretty much follow the soft target/hard weapon, hard target/soft weapon approach. Having suffered boxers fractures in both hand in separate fights eventually you learn.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I prefer the palm heel strike to a direct punch. When you utilize a palm heel strike there isn't as much "give" upon impact and the risk of injury to yourself is reduced. When you punch, there is mobility in the wrist that is not present with the palm heel. The palm heel is more "solid."

Also, I like to keep my options open. With an open hand strike it is easier from me to grab hold of my opponent. So, if I want to transition into a lock or simply want to grab hold to control the direction my opponent falls it is easier for me to do so.

IMHO =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

open hand...

Like CC I like to be able to go from a strike to grappeling ASAP.

Also.. as an artist I hold a great deal of value to my hands..

Thanks

I am learning a lot of techs that involve the use of palm heel strikes. Maybe it is because I am new but these strikes are not my first choice and as such I tend to change them to a punch. One thing that makes these strikes uncomfortable is finger placement during the strike. I keep my fingers together and hit with the meaty part of the palm. But in a real situation, things tend to get crazy what if you were to catch a finger during the strike. I could end with a broken finger best case or get a nasty cut if I was to accidentally catch on a tooth and then have to worry about a bad infection. And I would disable one of my weapons
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    I am learning a lot of techs that involve the use of palm heel strikes. Maybe it is because I am new but these strikes are not my first choice and as such I tend to change them to a punch. One thing that makes these strikes uncomfortable is finger placement during the strike. I keep my fingers together and hit with the meaty part of the palm. But in a real situation, things tend to get crazy what if you were to catch a finger during the strike. I could end with a broken finger best case or get a nasty cut if I was to accidentally catch on a tooth and then have to worry about a bad infection. And I would disable one of my weapons
    You definately have to focus on keeping your hand open and fingers back until it becomes more comfortable for you. Indeed, if you execute a palm heel incorrectly you risk damaging your fingers. If you hold your hand correctly though, it contours you opponent's face quite nicely.

With a punch you risk damaging your fingers and knuckles also. Basically, any time you strike you risk injuring yourself in the process (see SGM Parkers Insights books, he discusses this aspect.) You're just as likly to bust your knuckle on a guys teeth as you are your fingers (Just ask Evil Pookie, lol.)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by gakusei
    I pretty much follow the soft target/hard weapon, hard target/soft weapon approach. Having suffered boxers fractures in both hand in separate fights eventually you learn.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks

Given the choice I always strike open hand and if it is a soft target I like to use a percussion strike.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Which do you prefer to strike with, an open hand or a closed fist
    It depends where I am hitting the person. I would rather not punch a person if I would break my hand in doind so.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

i guess it all depends what the target is.......nothing like a good hard slap across the face to wake someone up though.

Thanks

If I were going to hit someone in the gut, an open hand wouldn't serve me as well, so it really does depend.

It hurts my hand less to use open hand though.

When I point spar (the playing around version, not the serious tournament/testing version), I like to use open hands for everything, so I can just tap. It's good practice for control.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

I am surprised no one else mentioning a percussion strike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I am surprised no one else mentioning a percussion strike
    Hmmm. I'm not familiar with the term. Could you elaborate? Thanks!

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Yeah, I don't know what a percussion strike is either... can you elaborate?
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks

A percussion strike a an open hand strike where you cup your hand a little like clapping, it puts more energy into the strike which hurts more.

Thanks

O.K... I know what you're talking about now. We just call them "cupped palm" strikes. Great strikes, especially if targeting an ear.

Thanks

"Open Hand"

Since I have to chose. More versatile, can be tailored to fit a little more, gives a few inches more travel when in close, can move from strike to grapple or control a little better- ...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

About the only closed-fist strikes I throw are to the body (shovel-hooks, hammerfists, etc.). For the head, and for that matter in general, I prefer open hand strikes or elbows. As has been mentioned, you don't run the risk of breaking your knuckles, and you can grab, trap, and lock easier. I like to "manhandle" my opponents after the first strike or two so I feel that the open hand strikes are the best choice for me. My favorite strikes are probably the palm heel/claw (palm the chin and slide the fingers up into the eyes), or the handsword (works just about anywhere). I also like the cradle-blow/Y-hand to the throat either as part of a takedown (we call it a "choke-slam") or to grab their throat and yank them toward you so you can hit them or whatever.

Rob, I love the percussion strikes. Someone mentioned the ear, Another good target is the eye. The nice thing with these strikes is that you can inflict a lot of pain but to anyone watching it looks like you just slapped the guy.
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gakusei View Post
    That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject. I have noticed that while you are much less likely to break the small bones of your hand palm-striking a hard target, it places a much higher amount of stress on your wrist.
    Last edited by Dharma_Punk; 04-18-2007 at 02:58 PM.
    "Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result." - Tien T'ai
    "If you train very hard, you will be very good." - Remy Presas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links