Thread: Managing life and dojo

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Managing life and dojo

Do any of you feel that it is difficult to manage the time you spend at the dojo and the time you spend at work and at home - like they are in competition? How do you manage your time so that your family doesn't feel like they are in competition with your passion for the art?
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Managing life and dojo

It is hard to find that happy balance. But remember that part of that delicate balance is your happiness and everyone should be happy that you have found something that has made you happy.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Just managing life is hectic enough~! Luckily Seig and I teach together which helps alot. So at least we spend 'dojo' time together.
    "Corrupt, but Ruthless."

Thanks

I workout during the day for several of my workouts and since my kids are in school and hubby is at work, that eliminates some of that problem.

And now he is in my mon-wed night beginner's class to spend time with me, so he doesn't resent the time away.

And.....one can only take so much of me anyway.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

During the summer I am the main teacher there all day. I am lucky enough that I have at least one 2 hour break to do whatever I want. BUt now that I will be taking Physiology at home during the summer I will have to come up with a trick to survive.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Working full time and trying to start a new career makes my life pretty darn busy. Usually my body winds up giving out before I consider stopping. It's hectic, and I probably shouldn't run at full throttle all the time... but I couldn't do all the things I want to if I don't.
    I usually am able to keep my Kenpo class appointments unless I have health issues. If that's the case I take the time to heal. My family is incredibly supportive, and I'm single, so I'm one lucky girl.

BTW I have no social life to speak of.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I used to train at three different schools and worked out multiple times a day. I was single, 22-27, and had nothing but time. It was a great five years and my martial arts ability jumped in leaps and bounds.

Now I am married and don't train nearly as much. I have six kids (2 dogs and four cats...my wife is a veterinary technician) that demand my attention for some of my time. I also have my own business (http://hazardstudio.net) so time can be a tricky thing there too.

All in all I put in four hours of dojo time during the week and twelve hours of "outside" time with some training partners and by myself.

I find that balance is really the key in all of it. If you have something you love, you will find a way to balance it all. I manage to split my time between my various activities and relationships really well. Now all I have to do is find a way to sleep.

Regards,
    Walt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Sometimes I wonder how I manage life. Actually, it is MICRO-managed. I have to keep a strict schedule.

I usually get up before work to practice the curriculum required for 3rd degree. Then it's breakfast and off to work.

Currently on Tuesdays and Thursdays I leave work for college. Once there I study for a few hours and then go on to class. After class it's home to chill with the fiance for about an hour and then to bed

On Mondays, Wensdays I leave work and review the previous belt levels in the syllabus and work the bag for a few hours then teach Kenpo. Then it's home again to chill for about an hour or so before bed.

Fridays and Saturdays I'm off from work but teach the day classes at the Kenpo school. Catch up on homework and study. I reserve those evenings for family & friends.

Sunday it's back to work and then afterwards it's cleaning the house, doing laundry and getting ready for the next week.

My fiance' is very accomidating and doesn't complain. That's probably why she's my fiance' now. LOL.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

My fiance' is very accomidating and doesn't complain. That's probably why she's my fiance' now
    My wife is the same way. If she had been a nag about my extra cirricular activities she would never had made it to the alter. I am all about spending time with her as she is one of the greatest women I know but she knew from the start that I like to train. She even started taking classes with me back in 2000. If I had met my wife and she had been one of the clinggy types, I definately would have kicked her to the kurb rather than what she does not...

...which is kicking me in the head.
    Regards,
    Walt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

It takes a special kind of woman to love a Kenpo man.

...sounds like a country song don't it?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

CC, Eli rawks.... anyone who can deal with you is definately a keeper. I just hope that if I ever find someone, he'll be just as into Kenpo/MA as I am.

A girl can dream right?
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gimpat01
    CC, Eli rawks.... anyone who can deal with you is definately a keeper. I just hope that if I ever find someone, he'll be just as into Kenpo/MA as I am.

A girl can dream right?
    Figures... Why couldn't stuff like this get posted when I was:

A. Single
    B. In Georgia (1991-1993)
    C. In need of a place to train

...Oh well, as one of my teachers is fond of telling me...

I'm in a good place.
    Regards,
    Walt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kroh
    Figures... Why couldn't stuff like this get posted when I was:

A. Single
    B. In Georgia (1991-1993)
    C. In need of a place to train

...Oh well, as one of my teachers is fond of telling me...

I'm in a good place.
    Regards,
    Walt
    LOL..

I have my evening classes and extra trainign happens in my head when I am on my way to and from work wich leaves most of my evenings and weekends free for my wife. Havign somone who understands and accepts your passions helps immensly.. it's give and take.. she talks about serial killers and differant kinds of mental illness (Forensic Psycology) and I talk about computers and MA... which I want her to learn because of the field of work she is getting into.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

As long as my life does not impinge on my studio time, I'm fine
    James D. "Vaudeville" Maxwell
    Missoula, Montana

"Flow without direction is spary"
    C. Crews

The IKKO WILL take over the world, the Golden One will have his reckoning. Prepare mere mortals, a wonderful begining awaits you all!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    Do any of you feel that it is difficult to manage the time you spend at the dojo and the time you spend at work and at home - like they are in competition? How do you manage your time so that your family doesn't feel like they are in competition with your passion for the art?
    I have two girls, Morgan and Madison. Morgan is the oldest (she will be 4 at the end of June). She has already got Blocking Set 1 down like an expert, and has just started Short Form 1. I don't start teaching kids until the age of 6, but she is my daughter and is really into it. Madison is 15 months so she won't start for a while, LOL.

My wife, Chantel, is very supportive of the time I devote to Kenpo because she knows how many years I have devoted to it.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

That's cool that you have a little one that is into it. At that age make sure that they take lots of breaks from training when they want to so they don't burn out by the age of 8. Ya know...it's just like being a rock star!

Kidding aside, it is fun to watch little kids do stuff like that. They love it and they feel a real sense of pride in doing it.

Regards,
    Walt

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links