Thread: Thinking of switching systems..

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Post Thinking of switching systems..

Right now I hold a Blue belt in the Tracy's system, and I'm thinking of switching
    to American Kenpo System..
    Is their much diffrent in styles and I know the moves are alot a like,Just diffrent names...Has anyone made the switch over from Tracy's to American Kenpo..
    Your input would really help me out, to know what diffrent people think..
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Thinking of switching systems..

Hi and Welcome to KT

Our school, Mountaineer Martial Arts, changed over ( and is still transitioning) from Tracy's to EPAK.. I can tell you from experience it's a worthy transition. Nothing at all wrong with Tracys.. our situation was we moved from Florida and had no local Instructor. We found Martial Talk and after Seig spent hours talking to Mr. Conatser on the phone.. we met in person and after a few trips up from Arizona Mr. Conatser accepted our school into the I.K.K.O. The IKKO curriculum we use now is very in depth and depending on which instructor you have, it may vary.
    The material is amazing.. the changes are worth the effort, but again.. it will all depend on your EPAK Instructor.
    Luckily ours' hammers on Basics.. and believe me.. it's worth it

~Tess

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

hi tess,

when you say your school is 'still transitioning' do you mean the people (students and instructors) are transitioning, or that you have a blended curriculum that is in the process of transition (ie, do you still teach a certain amount of the old stuff?)

pete.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Hey Pete,

Yes, all are transitioning that were once Tracyists(hybrid). Our new students are purely EPAK and lucky in the way they don't have to 'change' anything. Our Tracy system was rather a hybrid.. we were instructed in much of the Japanese systems.. counting in Japanese- the terminology- the bowing.. and 'Americanizing what we became very used to, was an interesting transition, including our stance changes, amongst many other things.
    We still teach some of our other 'stuff' -falls, rolls, jiu jitsu.. but it's not rankable material.. just very good to have the knowledge of, and it is fun ~!

Hope that answers your question Pete

~Tess

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

In my opinion, haveing to unlearn a lot of the old material is the hardest part. Most of what I had to learn in our old system was a slight variation and when I have my private lessons with Mr. C nad he says do X technique, I tend to slip back into what I was originally taught. I then see him shaking his head.....Occassionally he laughs and says, "OK, now do it the Ed Parker way...." A lot of the issue when you are transitioning is how far along in the material are you? I was nearly to fourth degree black. That's a long way to go back; but as Tess said, it was more than worth it. As a blue belt, you really don't have as signifigant amount of time as a black belt or a senior brown; so while you will have some relearning to do, the transition from Chinese sword to Delayed Sword or Japanese Sword to Sword of Destruction will not be catastrophic to your physche. You will find some of the techniques very similiar but the information contained to be more in depth and your understanding will grow even deeper as your time in the art progresses. Find a quality instructor that teaches the entirity of the system, not just pieces of it and you cannot go wrong.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    Find a quality instructor that teaches the entirity of the system, not just pieces of it and you cannot go wrong.
    I think this is the most important thing to do when transitioning to a new art or just finding something to begin. The worst thing that can happen is to be trained poorly with a lot of bad habits. It's really difficult to unlearn poor instruction. I know - I've been struggling with it. It's becoming better with my current teachers but just realizing how much time I wasted is very disheartening.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Thinking of switching systems..

Quote Originally Posted by asangria
    I think when transitioning to a new art it's really difficult to unlearn poor instruction. I know - I've been struggling with it, but just realizing how much time I wasted is very disheartening.
    Don't get down on yourself, nothing is "wasted". You spent time starting training. As you investigate other "similar" systems you may have found one that is a little more evolved or an instructor that can relate to you better than a previous one.

There are many "versions" of Kenpo out there. Looking at specifically those that all stemmed from Ed Parker, if you look close you will see many similarities, but many differences arise due to the specific training of a particular instructor and exactly when and how much influence came directly from Ed Parker at a particular time, as well as how long that individual continued to learn from Ed Parker.

Many instructors also develop traits around themselves and don't take in consideration the student base at large. There are several areas that I have developed a good amount of skill with and other areas that I don't especially like to focus on, however, I (as an instructor) still need to teach all these areas to everyone as there may be students out there that may get great benefit from those areas that are less interesting to me.

Study hard, examine the facts, look at principles, structure, history, viability of reality, methods of training, architecture of curriculum structure, and all the while use logic as your guide.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

just out of curiousity as a Tracy Kenpoist - why are you switching? Are you not satisfied with Tracy anymore, if so, why not?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpo0324
    Right now I hold a Blue belt in the Tracy's system, and I'm thinking of switching
    Is their much diffrent in styles and I know the moves are alot a like,Just diffrent names...Has anyone made the switch over from Tracy's to American Kenpo..
    I am from a Tracy offshoot, one that has a fair bit of input from later Parker teachings. I have had the opportunity to work with practitioners from many strains of Parker and Tracy kenpo. If I was forced into the situation of choosing one system or the other I would probably go with AK, mostly because I prefer the concept/principle driven approach. However as a very large caveat, before I chose the sytem, I would choose the better instructor, I would take a good Tracy instructor over a bad EPAK instructor. Heck, I'd choose a good TKD instructor over a bad kenpo instructor.... errrr, bad example, scratch that.

My guess is that as a blue belt you won't have a hard time switching. You will find far more similarities than differences. I would recommend that if you change schools that you start over as a white belt, you will advance quickly and not have expectations that you already know blue belt AK material.

Good luck if you decide to switch over,

Lamont

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Samantha

Thank-you for your Question.
    It is not that I am dissatisfied with Tracy's System, it is that I am faced with one of the hardest decisions in my Martial-Arts journey. I'm torn between my present Instructor, who is a 3rd Degree Black belt, who I have trained with from the beginning or I have the opportunity to train with a 6th Degree Black belt Master in American kenpo. My present Instructor offers privates lessons and workout classes only. The Master offers group classes, seminars on various techniques, sparring, and the opportunity to attend tournaments, and he teaches a lot more philosophy.

I hope this answers your question
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Smile Re: Thinking of switching systems..

It is not that I am dissatisfied with Tracy's System, it is that I am faced with one of the hardest decisions in my Martial-Arts journey.
    My present Instructor offers privates lessons and workout classes only.
    The Master offers group classes, seminars on various techniques, sparring, and the opportunity to attend tournaments, and he teaches a lot more philosophy.
    The answer lies in your gut/heart. It is YOUR life and YOUR Journey. YOU derserve to be exposed to the type of material you crave.

It is not a matter of who is better .... (you may still and always love your current instructor for what he/she has given you so far) but where can you expand you knowledge and skill base.

Instructors DO make a difference.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Do not do it, young one. However, if you must, the door will remain opened for your return.

Thanks

Samantha

Thank-you for your Question.
    It is not that I am dissatisfied with Tracy's System, it is that I am faced with one of the hardest decisions in my Martial-Arts journey. I'm torn between my present Instructor, who is a 3rd Degree Black belt, who I have trained with from the beginning or I have the opportunity to train with a 6th Degree Black belt Master in American kenpo. My present Instructor offers privates lessons and workout classes only. The Master offers group classes, seminars on various techniques, sparring, and the opportunity to attend tournaments, and he teaches a lot more philosophy.

I hope this answers your question
    If you want something different out of your training than what your current instructor is offering, then that is a perfectly reasonable reason to switch. Don't burn bridges with your old instructor, let him know why you feel the need to switch and hopefully he will understand that. This is your journey, not his.

Lamont

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

I made the switch, and it was one of the greatest things I have ever done. It is well worth the transition, but don't let the ranks of the 2 instructors sway where you train, do what makes you happy.

Thanks

I have taught a few students who switched from the Tracy system to American Kenpo, including one black belt.

Where in Canada are you? I may be able to recommend a studio.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside
    I am from a Tracy offshoot, one that has a fair bit of input from later Parker teachings. I have had the opportunity to work with However as a very large caveat, before I chose the sytem, I would choose the better instructor, I would take a good Tracy instructor over a bad EPAK instructor. Heck, I'd choose a good TKD instructor over a bad kenpo instructor.... errrr, bad example, scratch that.

Lamont
    Sorry to sidetrack, but you've seen what having a good TKD instructor will do. Devon Case? HEHE, see you in June
    James D. "Vaudeville" Maxwell
    Missoula, Montana

"Flow without direction is spary"
    C. Crews

The IKKO WILL take over the world, the Golden One will have his reckoning. Prepare mere mortals, a wonderful begining awaits you all!

Thanks

Sorry to sidetrack, but you've seen what having a good TKD instructor will do. Devon Case? HEHE, see you in June
    I'm assuming you are referring to your instructor, because I'm fairly certain that I haven't met the man in the ring. I think it is fair to say what you were showing me wasn't just TKD....

Besides, its a kenpo forum, TKD cracks are expected.

Lamont

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Been waiting to hear:
    Have you switched to American Kenpo yet? If so, what are your thoughts on the differences between the two systems? Also: I'm NOT wanting to incite a flame/mud war or anything. Far from it, I just think it'd be interesting to hear your analysis since you've experienced both (if you switched)
    Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links