Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first altercation using kenpo

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default My first altercation using kenpo

Thought that that i would just tell you all how lucky i was to be able to learn kenpo as it did save my life.I come from a small town which sadly i ran into some mentally challenged students that insisted on making my life hard id say it was enough to be a gang,at the time i was terrified i hid at night didnt venture out when i needed anything i was basically afraid. I recieved an offer from my neighbor who was a blue belt. I trained extensively for 8 months and had gone through yellow and orange belt material in the Ed Parker system.While they were out drinking and chasing women i was practicing that just gave me the edge.I finally encounterd him id say the supposed leader that was supposed to be this great fighter he got this reputation from jumping in to fights and landing an unsuspecting blow on the persons i fell victim to this i now have a scar on my left eye from a kick i had to get stitches . Needless to say he had everything coming to him i read and understood the kenpo cread he was definitley out of line. I was driving my rig downtown when he jumped out from a crowd of people id say about 20 and forced me to turn to avoid hitting him i just pulled into the parking lot where he he started to run his mouth i just steped out of my truck walked up to him and he knew it was business through my peripheral vision i could see his left foot steping back to retreat i landed a right roundhouse on him tacky i know but it worked i continued to follow up with lefts and rights i didnt know it at the time but i had violated his center and at the same time i was checking the inside with blocks as he was trying to defend himself he didnt land anything, eventually i came to a curb where i thought it would be a good place for him to be kicked into the street. i did a front chicken kick to his abdomen and knocked the wind out of him and he ended up falling onto me wrapping up around my waist, i quickly deliverd downward elbow stricks on his head with my left hand, with my right i delivered uppercuts into his stomache probably didnt do anything i then remember someone from behinde me pushing me down i then remembered the goldent rule wherever the head goes the body follows.I grabbed his head and he went down with me unfortunatly his head met the pavement , and my fingers met his eye sockets where i found it a nice place to hold his head while i bashed it on the cement4 -5 times i heard screaming and shouting next thing i knew i was being kicked by everyone i protected the vital areas and rolled out and continued into a cover out, once i was on my feet staring at the crowd i felt like i was being looked at through the eyes of shocked indivuduals who just had their world turned upside down . The police did arrive i had a restraint order and everything was legal i walked away from this he however did not...i was amazed at how my training paid off i reacted to everything the way i trained i am very pleased with kenpo to this day.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Default Re: My first altercation using kenpo

How long ago was this? I had a wrinkled forehead over the extent of your attack right up until I saw that things had gotten to the point you had a restraining order. Then I thought to myself, "oh, sounds like he deserved it". Let's just hope the rest of his buddies don't come looking for payback.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Oh yeah well this was about 2 years ago. His buddies were terrafied of the damage i inflicted on him, They knew im serious about it, i wont hesitate to put the fear of god in them lol...

Thanks

Good deal. I would consider this a successful encounter.

Thanks

I am afraid I disagree. Regardless of his past with you. You say that his foot planted to retreat and you attacked. This is where, in my opinion, your training was misused. If he had stepped to attack and you stopped that attack with your own strike first then yes that is one thing and you must defend yourself, but you say your strike came with him backing down ... this was wrong of you. You had a restraining order on him.. then you walk away after he has backed down and you call in the violation.

"I will use my martial arts constructively... and defensively building a strong community through social harmony."

The fight itself.. some would argue that it was not over fast enough or with enough efficiency.. I say real life gets in the way of efficiency in a true encounter. I would say work on your ground fighting so that you don't have to resort to just bashing someone’s head.

Your second comment.. Laughing about "putting the fear of god" into someone. This reaction disturbs me... It is one thing to find joy in the technique, to be elated by your learning and a fascination with your new capabilities... but you must always respect your new strength.. your new power.. your learning, knowledge and those who have passed it down and then given to you. To laugh about using your skills to cause fear.. is
    insulting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

In all fairness no one can really say what they would do in someone elses shoes unless they did in fact find themselves in the same situation.

I do not condone senseless violence and I feel, in the spirit of the "dragon, that one should walk away if they can. But what exactly does it mean to "walk away?"

Of course, most understand the basic gist of it. An offender makes a threat, you walk away confident that if a confrontation did occur that you would be the victor. But is it that simple?

How about someone that has been constantly tormented by a bully? How long can one continue to "walk away?"

"..if forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor..." What does that mean to you?

Green, I'm am very glad you survived this confrontation, especially since you were out numbered. But I am curious as to what you feel you learned from this experience; beyond any "physical" realizations. Besides gaining confidence and self-esteem perhaps, what else did you gain? Do you feel you would do the same thing again if it happened today or would you simply drive around him?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Yes, I am glad he was not harmed. how long can you walk away from a bully? As often as you need, every time, unless it comes down to that bully taking it beyond words.

"..if forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor..." What does that mean to you?
    Defend myself... self-explanatory.

"my principles or my honor" must be tempered with the idea of preserving social harmony. or "Avoiding negative habits or attitudes."

Otherwise one can simply go on a rampage beating the poo out of anyone who looks at them wrong and simply claim it was an affront to their honor.

No, I cannot say what I would have done in his place and time.. but I have been in many like situations and everyone, save for one, I have walked away enduring jeers, empty threats, laugher. Knowing what I am capable of and what I was capable of and being stronger for it.

Ultimately you are right and I should have asked the same question of what was learned after I stepped off the soapbox.

Green, I should not have left my comment the way I did, for that I am sorry.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny
    I am afraid I disagree. Regardless of his past with you. You say that his foot planted to retreat and you attacked. This is where, in my opinion, your training was misused. If he had stepped to attack and you stopped that attack with your own strike first then yes that is one thing and you must defend yourself, but you say your strike came with him backing down ... this was wrong of you. You had a restraining order on him.. then you walk away after he has backed down and you call in the violation.

"I will use my martial arts constructively... and defensively building a strong community through social harmony."

The fight itself.. some would argue that it was not over fast enough or with enough efficiency.. I say real life gets in the way of efficiency in a true encounter. I would say work on your ground fighting so that you don't have to resort to just bashing someone’s head.

Your second comment.. Laughing about "putting the fear of god" into someone. This reaction disturbs me... It is one thing to find joy in the technique, to be elated by your learning and a fascination with your new capabilities... but you must always respect your new strength.. your new power.. your learning, knowledge and those who have passed it down and then given to you. To laugh about using your skills to cause fear.. is
    insulting.
    I do see your point and agree about the . The difference is that things had been so bad in the past, that he had to go to court and get a restraining order to keep this guy away from him. That the individual in question stepped in front of his car was a violation of said restraining order and verbally harassing him when he got out of the car was a violation of the restraining order. Calling the cops and reporting this would not have stopped the harassment. It appears to me that green_blurr finally said "enough is enough". Yeah, maybe he went too far but he no longer needs to fear for his personal safety from this turd.

I'm also willing to cut him a little slack about feeling good he finally got this guy off his back. We don't know what he was subjected to prior to this. I do hope that this is not his general feeling regarding the use of MA.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny

insulting.
    I totally agree
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I had a similar thing happen to me in school. This mexican gang leader, who everyone was afraid of because he supposedly had a good fighting record (what ever that means), would always follow me down the halls and run his mouth off like he was the king of the world. Until one day I just got so sick of listening to him brag about how he could beat anyone who tried to fight him and how he has never lost a fight. Well I approched him and calmly asked him what his problem was and why he thinks he was such a tough guy when he picked on the smallest and weakest people. Anyway, I said this and it made him mad and he started to through punches at me and I just stepped out of the way, he was extreamly slow, and started laughing at him. I told him he was a waist of time and started to walk past him when one of his "hommies" ran up behind me and punched me in the back of the head. I turned around and landed one right on the end of his nose and sent him to the floor. I then kicked the "gang leader" in the stomach and he two went to the floor moaning. They never bothered me since. It was purley self-defence but I still think I didnt have to do what I did. (sorry for the wording, No racial point intended)

Thanks

One should avoid conflict if possible. But you have a right to feel safe within your environment and a right to be free of harrassment.. physical or otherwise. This is a human right. IMHO, when someone crosses that line with me...they have given up their right to be free from harm.

My mama always said, "You had better never let me find out you ever started a fight. But if someone starts one with you, you damn well be the one to finish it!"
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I should have filled you in more but the fact is i had a restraint order on this guy and he would constantly break it he stole my stereo out of my truck i didnt have any evidence to proove it he basically had an in with the law he had a relative that would bail him out of trouble he basically got away with alot this was frustrating so it came down to this .I was personally told be the police that i can break my restraint order if he comes into contact with me . Well he did it and being bullied and harrassed over the years didnt help .

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

And yes the fight was too long i should have ended it with the first strike .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by green_blurr
    And yes the fight was too long i should have ended it with the first strike .
    There is a point where you can get introuble if you do too much. Especially when he staped back before you did anything, than I do not really see t as defense but assult.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

IMHO, sounds like it was a long time coming.

*see signature below =)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

As to what i gained i would say self respect i couldnt believe i could have done anything like that. From then on i just looked at myself diferently in school i wasnt confident and it helped me out alot its just this was a big stepping stone for me and did change my life. And i am very passive because of it .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by green_blurr
    As to what i gained i would say self respect i couldnt believe i could have done anything like that. From then on i just looked at myself diferently in school i wasnt confident and it helped me out alot its just this was a big stepping stone for me and did change my life. And i am very passive because of it .
    I can see that. The moment where torment turns to retribution can be a deeply moving moment in ones life. I can also see how easy it can be to get lost in the moment of elation when you break free of past fears.. the moment when you know you are able to defend yourself. I was picked on for years througout highschool and after. I need to change my picture to either Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver or Heroin Bob from SLCPunk to be a little more accurate to me.

I guess what I would like to say is that you really need to be careful with how you view your abilities and not become drunk in your new sense of self. The most dangerous comment was the "i wont hesitate to put the fear of god in them lol" I cannot tell you how upsetting that is. I have known a couple people who were really great people who forgot themselfs when they started to train and became the people they orriginaly wanted to protect themselfs from. It sounds cleche' but it is one of the reasons I am so insainly intent on control and proper mindset.

I am glad you learned about yourself.. I am glad you grew in your confidence.. I am simply sad at the cost. I hope that you are able to further learn from this encounter every day after it.

As for ending it with the first strike.. well yes that would be the ideal ending of an unavoidable encounter.. but life rarely allows us the "ideal" scenario. End it quickly and effeciantly.. and always learn from every encounter... expecially the ones that are resolved without violence.

I will now stop sounding like an old Buhdist monk....

BTW my spell check is all kinds of horked at home so forgive my total inability to spell.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hey, guys, I know this green-thingy. In fact,he just dummied Thundeing Hammers for me. I'll let you all go crazy trying to figure out who I am.

He isn't lieing,the harrasment was getting bad, to the point it was dangerouse for him and his family.

He did good- or at least it turned out good. I told him he should have drove through the center of rhe mob, then got out and took care of rhe rest. These ganger-wannabees still try every once in a while. But all he has to do is look at them now and they back down.

Look, you can't argue with success,and what he did worked. It is one thing to walk away a time or two. But when you have to do it repeatedly- when it goes from threat to repeated assault- when it involves stealing and destruction of property- when it threatens your family- it is time to do something about it. He did good.

Edit: what he was after here was advice. How could he have done better (other than not getting out in the middle of a mob that is threatening to pound you to mush).

In Kenpo,
    thedan

(oops! I told.)
    Last edited by green_blurr; 02-20-2006 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks

Just got back to my own computer, and thought I should verify that the post above was me. I got to thinking, that if there isn't a rule somewhere about posting from another account, there probably will be soon. Oh, well...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    Just got back to my own computer, and thought I should verify that the post above was me. I got to thinking, that if there isn't a rule somewhere about posting from another account, there probably will be soon. Oh, well...
    There are always mitigating factors and I am not saying that the guy may not have deserved what he got.

For me the most disturbing statement was..

They knew im serious about it, i wont hesitate to put the fear of god in them lol...
    The threats, theft, etc etc.. totaly understandable and with that info I can almost understand the openeing attack even if he was backing down. But following it with that quote gives the feeling of enjoying the fear of him. That I find more upsetting that the extent of the fight.

"Anger, Fear, Aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

-Yoda
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links