Thread: Sprawling Drill/Grappling Applications

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Sprawling Drill/Grappling Applications

I've noticed some folks on the boards have limited grappling or ground experience, and since I have a background in it I figured I'd offer up some things that might help you out.

American Kenpo indeed has many defenses against tackles and grabs. This drill will simply give you another perspective on how you can tie holds & locks into your Kenpo repetoire.

Sprawling can also be executed at a moments notice, say for instance if you are taken completly off gaurd and reaction time is almost non-existant.

A little about what sprawling actualy is: The term pretty much comes from what you do with your legs. When someone attempts to tackle or shoot your leg(s) you remove them from reach by throwing you legs back and spreading them creating a wide base. "But won't I fall forward if I throw my legs back?" you may ask. Yes. That's the idea. However, since they are going for your legs they will be underneath you. Your upper body weight is used to help drive them face first into the ground.

In terms of self defense, you really don't want to get tied up on the ground for a lengthy time. Hence, the drill:

1) As your uke makes the shoot/tackle attempt execute the sprawl

2) As you execute the sprawl, brace yourself against your uke as you ride them to the ground by applying a guilotine choke (as applied in Locking Horns for example) **be careful with this**{remember, your body weight is on top of your uke's head and shoulders and you will hit the ground with some force/I would suggest using thick pads for this drill and not fully locking the guillotine in}

3) Once on the ground maintain the sprawl position (legs wide and planted). You want to remain "planted" because an experienced grappler will try to use their leg strength to continue to push forward in an attempt to gain better position or to get hold of a leg or legs.

4) Regain your footing. Release the guillotine and push off your uke's shoulders (in the street I would say be more aggressive and push off of their head for instance therby pushing their face into the pavement). This serves to keep a check on them and keep them on the ground to some degree as you stand back up keeping your legs out of range of their hands.

I've attempted to as thorough as possible. I know that if you don't have a form of reference I may have lost you at some point. If I did, I apologize but you know I'm perfectly willing to elaborate or answer questions. If I can ever figure out how to upload video I'll post some footage. LOL.

Or, if you just feel like discussing the pros and cons of sprawling or grappling in general I'm always up for a good conversation!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Sprawling Drill/Grappling Applications

Thanks CC. I'm going to try this out this week!
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I sprawl with my right forearm against the their left clavical and my left hand against their right shoulder. As you stated an experienced person will tuck their chin, continue to drive forward, counter grab the hand, then you'll have to watch out for a barrel roll and various other things. That's why I sprawl the way I do.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

We teach the sprawling technique to our full contact fighters because take downs are allowed in Lei Tai fighting. We do have a number of kenpo techniques that address an attempted take down that wouldn't be viewed favorably in that setting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Very cool! It's nice to see others are familiar with grappling techniques.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links