Thread: Verbal Defense

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Verbal Defense

We all train for countless hours in our respective schools learning how to defend ourselves physically. But how much time do we spend working on verbal defense. Since most altercations start off verbally and escalate how much time do you spend learning how ot stop an altercation before it gets physical.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: Verbal Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    We all train for countless hours in our respective schools learning how to defend ourselves physically. But how much time do we spend working on verbal defense. Since most altercations start off verbally and escalate how much time do you spend learning how ot stop an altercation before it gets physical.
    That is why I am minoring in communications.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

I think I must be doing pretty well at it so far because I haven't gotten in a physical altercation since I was 12 and that's only because my little cousin had a big mouth and I had to do the big cousin thing and stand up for her.

I ended up getting punched in the jaw. I stood my ground and looked tough until she left and then I grabbed my jaw and started to cry.

Dang, that hurt.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Verbal judo can de-escalate the vast majority of confrontations, or stressful situations. I don't know that we do enough training in this area though. My career has given me many years of experience and, believe me, I wasn't very good at it when I was young and green.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Being in sales, I have a pretty good way of handling disgruntled customers. It must carry over into everyday life b/c I haven't gotten into a verbal altercation in years. We don't discuss this at our school as far as I know, so it may be a good thing to bring up.

Thanx for starting this thread. Good Stuff!
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks

Should people learn proper methods to difuse the situations in their classes or is that skill best learned elsewhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Should people learn proper methods to difuse the situations in their classes or is that skill best learned elsewhere.
    I would say that the mental and emotional control required to do this effectively can and should be learned in the school. That in itself is the hardest part. The actual methods may be best suited for another forum. Bottom line is to pay attention to your conversations and speak from the brain, not from emotions.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

We should do more verbal training.

I know we can over use, "Build Confidence" But, I think it is true. If you project confidence in your tone and body language it goes a long way to taking control of a situation.

I also use it in business meetings when things get off track.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

It should be addressed. Apparently we don't place enough emphasis on it. It would seem we may need a little more focus on that aspect

Quote Originally Posted by gimpat01
    Being in sales, I have a pretty good way of handling disgruntled customers. It must carry over into everyday life b/c I haven't gotten into a verbal altercation in years. We don't discuss this at our school as far as I know, so it may be a good thing to bring up.
    We tell our students to try to avoid confrontation or talk their way out of it if possible. But we don't really address the verbal skills needed to talk one's way out of a situation. It would definately make good seminar material.

Does anyone have any literature on this topic?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    Verbal judo can de-escalate the vast majority of confrontations, or stressful situations. I don't know that we do enough training in this area though. My career has given me many years of experience and, believe me, I wasn't very good at it when I was young and green.
    HAHA been there done that For some reason when I used my mouth the use of force reports went waayyyyy down. I am a big advocate of verbal judo as well. It is kind of cool to leave someone from a traffic stop saying "thank you" with their head spinning
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Here is an old thread that needed dusting off

Thanks
    Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,263 Posts

A couple of people have mentioned "Verbal Judo". I have been through the course and also had bought the book prior to attending the training through work. Here is a link to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Verbal-Judo-Ge...2872445&sr=8-1

One way to incorporate ways to teach verbal deescalation is to think of your techniques and what strategies do they use to stop a physical attack. What does a parry do? It accepts the incoming force and redirects it. How do you do that in conversation? An angry customer calls you a name, do you respond to the name or do you deflect that and deal with the root of that problem? You need to address what is REALLY making them upset. Just as we teach students that they have to be close to the opponent to be in contact manipulation, we have to put ourselves "close" to them mentally to be able to manipulate and guide them where we want to go.

This way when you teach de-escalation skills they already have a reference and can remember the tools and come up with their own tools.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    This would be a great thing to teach to the younger ones, i.e. 12 and under, maybe even the teens if they are a seperate class from the adults. However, I think if an adult has not learned this skill in life yet by experiance I am not sure it's teachable. They would have to be receptive to learning and I know way to many that shoot off their mouth in two sentences and boom...it all blows up. Those kinds of people don't usually last very long in class anyways.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    I work in an environment is, unfortunately, the norm! I can't tell you how many fights / brawls I've seen where the right word or body language at the right time COULD have prevented the bloodshed or the damage done!!

As a worker there, my voice and posture are my #1 work tools !!!!!! I've studied deescalation skills for over 15 years now....and if I'm on my toes and taking care of business, I can go through my work and never need to take physical action....

but there are PLENTY of bad days where nothing I could have done would have prevented the fight. That's where the other skills come in at.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links