Thread: Collecting common attacks against women

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Collecting common attacks against women

I'm building a list of common attacks against women. I think that in our curriculum there are some attacks that aren't necessarily addressed by technique, however, I know in kenpo there is a response to everything.

Also, keep in mind that statistics show that most violence against women comes from a perpetrator they are either aquainted or intimate with. There has been more than one occasion where I have found myself in a threatened/vulnerable state in my youth because of fear that the retaliation reaction would be worse than letting them have control or out of some notion that there isn't a real threat, but rather an attempt to dominate or control me.

Some attacks that I have been witness to or encountered personally:

Crippling hair grabs from behind
    Twisting and pinning of the wrists ( usually ending up pinned to the wall or to the ground )
    Being thrown up against the wall with one hand pinning the wrist and one hand on the throat ( I witnessed this against my mother once, and was an inch away from committing an incarceratable offense.. but realized that it was an attempt to control her and not to harm her but regardless he was encouraged to let go immediately )
    Countless stronghand slaps

Some of these threatening situations are easily overcome physically, but not mentally. I think by consistently training to respond under the threats that it's possible to condition our muscle memory to think for us. Presently, the shock, confusion and crippling nature of attacks on us by people we know and/or care about can inhibit our response. I know personally my fear is not being able to overcome the psychological barriers and need to train train train to overcome them.

Care to add to the list? We have a women's self defense class that could benefit greatly from isolating gender specific threats.
    Last edited by cameypsaromatis; 02-11-2006 at 05:42 PM.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Collecting common attacks against women

Camey - awesome thread... there are so many different attacks. I'll see what I can come up with and contribute.

Katie
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Awesome Katie. I appreciate whatever you contribute.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I haven't witnessed a whole lot of attacks on women (I'm lucky in that aspect) nor have I ever been "attacked" by anyone. I do have fears of situations arrising that I will not be able to have control over.

My biggest fear is the Rear Bear Hug by someone substantially larger than myself. Having my arms pinned and the thought of being picked up off the ground and losing my footing is something that terrifies me.

Even though I train to be able to defend and preserve myself physically, I do wonder what the impact an attack would have on me. Would it creep over into everyday life? Would my ability to trust be compromised? Whould I try to take down every person that comes w/in a 5ft radius after that?

This is what I've come up as my biggest fears at this time, but I'm sure more will come to me.

I'll post more later.

Katie
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks

A friend of mine, who lived in SF at the time, was walking home and someone (who she later found out had a gun) pushed her into a doorway opening and started towards her.

She had taken a self-defense against women course a few years earlier and it sort of kicked in. I say that because she kicked out.

She kicked him in the gut or groin, yelled 'Call 911!' and the guy ran off. Apparently, he had shot at her, but she was in a state of shock and didn't notice.

She calmly walked home.

So I guess the important thing is to act swiftly and decisively.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Once we get the Women's Area set up this thread is a prime candidate for that area.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Leaning against wall, attacker's arms on each side of you.
    Hand behind the neck or head, other holding arm or punching.
    Hair grab with slap or punch coming.

All of the above, but woman is on her back on the floor.

We need to look at a range of rear immobilizing chokes, similar to Escape From Death type attacks.

I always ask the question "What is your biggest fear?" Then I ask what is the attack you are most afraid of?" The above reflect some of the participant's fears that we problem-solved with Kenpo or pieces of Kenpo Techniques in my Women's Self-Defense classes.

-Michael
    “The superior man cultivates a friendly harmony, without being weak.—How firm is he in his energy! He stands erect in the middle without inclining to either side.—How firm is he in his energy!”
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links