Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Kenpo

Did Elvis help American Kenpo?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Did Elvis help American Kenpo?
    I would say yes but I do not know enough about Elvis and Kenpo other than he was an 8th degree Black Belt. A little before my time.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Help in what way? Help in proliferation or popularity? Other?
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

At the time, yes. I don't think most people today even realize he was associated with SGM Parker or Kenpo.

In his book about Elvis SGM Parker states how giving Elvis was and how he was always referring students to him etc. Elvis even had the Kenpo Crest on his guitar promoting the art.

I don't think he has any influence what-so-ever today.

IMHO =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    Help in what way? Help in proliferation or popularity? Other?
    That is the question? Did he help show the art in a positive way? Was he a challenging opponent to anyone he learned with? Did he have any innovations that helped progress the art?

What are you opinions on Elvis and Kenpo. I already know what I think and I would like to know what others think.

Thanks

I don't think he made any innovations. I mean, I've never heard of any "Elvis Techniques" or anything.

Was he a challenging opponent? No idea. I never fought him. LOL.

I know in SGM Parkers writings he spoke of him in high regard and stated that next to music, Kenpo was Elvis second love.

Just thought of a contribution he made. The fairly recent release of .... what's it called....argh! DVD release of old Kenpo footage, tournaments..etc....I'm kicking myself for not remembering the name of it! Anyway...that was a result of Elvis wanting to promote Kenpo at the time. Somebody help me out here! I'm having a major brain-fart. What's the name of that DVD?!?!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

You are thinking of The New Gladiators

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    I don't think he made any innovations. I mean, I've never heard of any "Elvis Techniques" or anything.

Was he a challenging opponent? No idea. I never fought him. LOL.

I know in SGM Parkers writings he spoke of him in high regard and stated that next to music, Kenpo was Elvis second love.

Just thought of a contribution he made. The fairly recent release of .... what's it called....argh! DVD release of old Kenpo footage, tournaments..etc....I'm kicking myself for not remembering the name of it! Anyway...that was a result of Elvis wanting to promote Kenpo at the time. Somebody help me out here! I'm having a major brain-fart. What's the name of that DVD?!?!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (01-08-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I haven't done much personally to understand how he contributed to the art except for popularity. I also have no idea what his contribution was in teaching or if he even taught. How long did he actually study w/ SGM Parker?
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

Thanks

Found this on the internet

Elvis took up karate under shotokan sensei Juergen Seydal while stationed in Germany. But it was chito-ryu instructor Hank Slemansky that awarded Elvis his first black belt, sometime before Elvis' return to the U.S. in 1960.
    In 1960's and 1970's America, all kick-punch arts were called "karate." The arts were too new to carry the distinctions we know them by today. Elvis started in shotokan, earned his first black belt in chito-ryu, would dabble in tae kwon do in his later years, but was influenced the most by the free-flowing, free-thinking style of American Kenpo. And who better to learn kenpo from than the "Father of American Karate" himself, Ed Parker?
    Ed Parker (no relation to Elvis' long-time manager Colonel Tom Parker) was a in his own right, introducing the art of kenpo to millions of Americans. Parker learned kenpo from William Chow in Hawaii, and added his own refinements and improvements when he came to the mainland.
    Parker's revolutionary. untraditional teaching methods, like having instructors count and deliver commands in the language of the school's country--rather than Japanese or--undoubtedly attracted Elvis, who at one time told Parker, "You seem to be a rebel in your field as I am in mine."
    Parker bestowed many of Elvis' dan ranks, up to Elvis' (largely honorary) 8th degree black belt in August 1974. While many folks scoff at Elvis' elevated ranking, chalking it up to celebrity influence, Elvis was at least a legitimate black belt.
    At least one "expert" biographer has stated that Elvis wasn't a real martial artist because "no one seriously trains in the martial arts in outlandish costumes--like capes." Hey, this was the 1960's and 1970's, baby! One viewing of Austin Powers and you'll think that Elvis' dojo attire might not be all that out of line--especially for a wealthy, eccentric rock star. Some of Elvis' karate uniforms and equipment can be seen in the web catalog from Guernsey's 1999 Las Vegas auction,including a decorated gi and Elvis' sparring gear.
    Elvis' tae kwon do instructor was Kang Rhee of Memphis, who was the recipient of much Elvis-style generosity. Elvis gave Rhee $50,000 to build a new school ($196,391 in 1995 dollars!), a Cadillac, jewelry, and guitars, some of which can be seen on display at the Memphis Music Hall of Fame. Rhee devotes a whole area of his web site to his relationship with the King.
    Elvis' immersion into the martial arts world is just too deep to cover in a single article. Besides his friendship with Parker, Elvis also worked out with kickboxing champion Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, at one point flying a California acupuncturist out to Graceland to heal Wallace's injured leg. Elvis was also connected to famed fighter Mike Stone, a pupil of Bruce Lee and one of Parker's best black belts. Stone became Priscilla Presley's personal karate instructor, and just before Priscilla's 1973 divorce from Elvis, was rumored to be on very, very personal terms with Mrs. Presley.
    Elvis was perhaps one of biggest promoters of the martial arts during their big rise in the United States. Through his fight scenes in his movies, or his on-stage kata-inspired dance routines, Elvis introduced millions to the martial arts. Unlike many celebrities who got into the martial arts for movie roles, or because it was the "in" thing to do, Elvis truly believed in the martial arts and the benefits of martial arts study. So if The King isn't dead as many believe, instead hiding from the hazards of too much fame, he's probably still practicing his karate

Reference

http://martialarts.jameshom.com/libr...y/aa122899.htm
    Last edited by parkerkarate; 02-09-2006 at 04:35 PM.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Well alrighty then. How about that Elvis.

Just looked online... apparently Ed himself wrote a book about Elvis. "Inside Elvis" by Ed Parker
    -Camey

Thanks

Thanks Rob.....I couldn't think of it for the life of me.

...and yes SGM Parker did. I'm trying to read it as I received it as a X-Mas gift...but.... it hasn't actually held my interest that well.

Thanks

I think Elvis biggest contribution was being a friend to Parker when everyone wanted a piece of the man for their own personal agendas.

Thanks

I always refer to Elvis when teaching people about Torque
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu
    I always refer to Elvis when teaching people about Torque
    Funny, I do to when refering to close kneels or knee checks. I say, "you gotta get a lil' Elvis in ya..."

Thanks

I make people wiggle their hips and get that motion in...I call out "BE LIKE ELVIS!"

They always have fun with it
    Susan A. Spann

Thanks

We have nickname Alternating Maces Elvis Hips.

Thanks

That's EXACTLY where I do it.
    Susan A. Spann

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu
    That's EXACTLY where I do it.
    Thank You, Thank You very much, Now where is my deep fried nanner sandwhich

Thanks

I read the book, 'Elvis: What Happened' not too long ago.

It's a good book, and really an eye opener. I won't comment on any of the authors' opinions about how good Elvis' karate was, other than to say, you should read it yourself and form your own opinions.

But one thing is for sure. Elvis was truly an ambassador for Kenpo in that he helped spread the word about our art for a period of time.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Interesting thread. I thought Elvis had only made it to 4th degree. Fom my perspective, I didn't even know Elvis was a martial artist until I was involved in kenpo. He was actually before my time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links