Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-emptive strikes

Thanks

Default Pre-emptive strikes

Pre-emptive strikes

Are pre-emptives ethical. Would you use one?

Would you make the first hit if it would instantly difuse a situation that could escalate into something far worse?

Would there be legal ramifications to consider, even if to YOU it was self-defense?

Would the situation be different if it was just you involved, as opposed to being with family or a group of friends?

<waves hands> Talk amongst yourselves (Two points if you get the ref)
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Default Re: Pre-emptive strikes

When I play chess I like to be white. Fighting is like chess, and white has the advantage. Action is faster than reaction, he who hesitates..., heck just see how many bones you break on the way through to the spine; cuz' hitting first is a great timing mechanism, it tends to give the guy concern and doubt about his previous intentions; so, I say smack him.
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

If I feel threatened....yer darn tootin' I'll smack somebody in the teeth real quick like!

Seriously, if you feel there is an imminent threat to life or limb don't hesitate. I personally feel if someone is making threatening comments (I'm gonna whip yer arse) or threatening gestures (shakes a fist at me, puts a finger in my face, etc) that it is acceptable to strike first. You can't assume that this person does not intend to do you harm...especially since their speech and body language say otherwise.

One does not have to "put hands" on your person for it to be considered assault. Many state or local laws allow citizens the right to protect themselves from assault. I would suggest checking what the laws are in your area in reference to what you can or can not do and what the possible legal ramifications might be.

Between me and thee.....I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Once the other person does something it is self defense so depending on the situation I would do something. But I will never go all out on the person, I will leave the killing part out. But I will break something of theres depending on the situation.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Definitely. If there is a serious threat and I am unable to walk away from it confidently, I would definitely act. Especially, if there is more than one threatening party. I would do my best to not stick around however, I'm pretty darn fast runner, so I'd try to give myself an opening to escape. I'd much rather run like hell than stick around to see how I would fair in an altercation.

A girlfriend of mine, brown belt at the time, had gone to a concert with her husband. She had stepped away and was coming back to her seat when she saw a bunch of guys physically threatening her husband, a 3rd degree black belt. She came up flank to one of them and slammed him with a back knuckle to the temple and completely laid the guy out.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    Definitely. If there is a serious threat and I am unable to walk away from it confidently, I would definitely act. Especially, if there is more than one threatening party. I would do my best to not stick around however, I'm pretty darn fast runner, so I'd try to give myself an opening to escape. I'd much rather run like hell than stick around to see how I would fair in an altercation.

A girlfriend of mine, brown belt at the time, had gone to a concert with her husband. She had stepped away and was coming back to her seat when she saw a bunch of guys physically threatening her husband, a 3rd degree black belt. She came up flank to one of them and slammed him with a back knuckle to the temple and completely laid the guy out.
    Excellent, than what happened.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

There may have been a small exchange between her husband and the other guys , but it became very clear that they were messing with the wrong people. They collected their friend and separated spewing out a fair amount of obscenities and idle threats.
    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    Excellent, than what happened.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

Thanks

There may have been a small exchange between her husband and the other guys , but it became very clear that they were messing with the wrong people. They collected their friend and separated spewing out a fair amount of obscenities and idle threats.

Thanks

sometimes you do what you gotta do......if that means hitting first......by all means.

Thanks

SWEET! That's classic.

"It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

The thing is, people often say assault, when they mean battery.

Assault is the imminent threat of bodily harm and battery is the actual bodily harm, so if someone threatens you, that's assault. And that's illegal, they basically, they asked for it.

-Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    The thing is, people often say assault, when they mean battery.

Assault is the imminent threat of bodily harm and battery is the actual bodily harm, so if someone threatens you, that's assault. And that's illegal, they basically, they asked for it.

-Amy
    .....and being that Kenpoist are such friendly people, we always give them what they ask for!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I have a simple answer.

It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. - Ed Parker.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Can I get an Amen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I have a simple answer.

It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. - Ed Parker.
    -Camey

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,192 Posts

If there's no other way out of it, I'm not about to let somebody take a swing at me (or worse) first. If I have my kids or my SO present, then I will be even less likely to hesitate.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    Once the other person does something it is self defense so depending on the situation I would do something. But I will never go all out on the person, I will leave the killing part out. But I will break something of theres depending on the situation.
    Your assignment is to watch scary movies and then ask yourself what always happens to the girl that knocks the guy down just long enough to scamper away.
    Sean

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I agree with Camey, if there's more than one attacker then I'm striking first and fast at multiple targets. As for running I'm not very good at it thats why I had to learn how to fight, LOL

Thanks

Can I get an Amen?
    AMEN SISTER!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Just bumping this one up for the newer members (and because I missed it the first time around)

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu View Post
    Pre-emptive strikes

Are pre-emptives ethical. Would you use one?
    Yes, they're ethical but I doubt I'd only use one

Would you make the first hit if it would instantly difuse a situation that could escalate into something far worse?
    Yes

Would there be legal ramifications to consider, even if to YOU it was self-defense?
    If you believe that your attacker has the Opportunity, Ability, and Intent to harm you, you're justified.

Would the situation be different if it was just you involved, as opposed to being with family or a group of friends?
    No...

I'm not going to wait for the guy to "set up" on me, I'm going to take the initiative and attack him before he's ready and I'm going to do so in a manner that leaves him unable to continue his aggression.
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

IMO I don't think self defence means you have to wait for the punch/kick/grab to be attempted before you are in jeopardy. If someone is threatening you than I think it is reasonable to expect an attack and you can defend yourself within reason.

I think pretty much everyone has said the same thing and then deal with whatever legal ramifications follow. Here is my question:

Who is going to wait for the cops to show????? I'm sorry, but if you attack me (and you don't know who the hell I am) I'll deal with it then GET OUT OF THERE! If the cops find me, I was scared and ran,,,did't know if there were frineds of attacker coming to back him up, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links