Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Step thru punch, realistic?

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Step thru punch, realistic?

This might be a silly question but....
    There are alot of techniques for a right step thru punch. Has anyone ever actually seen someone throw a step thru punch in a real attack or fight? I have not...I cant recall seeing a right punch thrown without the left foot forward.
    This seems to be the default attack for so many punch techniques and I am wondering why?
    "I dont know if you know this but......I am kind of a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogony" Ron Burgandy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Step thru punch, realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerstripes
    There are alot of techniques for a right step thru punch. Has anyone ever actually seen someone throw a step thru punch in a real attack or fight? I have not...I cant recall seeing a right punch thrown without the left foot forward.
    This seems to be the default attack for so many punch techniques and I am wondering why?
    I have seen many bar fights where the first strike is a step through punch.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Great question! I've seen some footage where people have done a short step through, but mostly I see crosses. One brawl I witnessed, the attacker was crazy mad and stepping through with hooks (from every direction) and straight punches too. I'm really curious what people have to say about this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerstripes
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I have seen many bar fights where the first strike is a step through punch.
    i have to agree with Rob on this one.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I have some links to some footage of fights caught on camera. I'm not sure it's appropriate to put them out here, but if you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the links.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

Thanks

Clearly I'm not spending enough time in bars.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Clearly I'm not spending enough time in bars.

--Amy
    I was a bouncer in a bar for several years, and saw many a stupid fight occur out in the parkling lot where we were not allowed to intervene.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I was a bouncer in a bar for several years, and saw many a stupid fight occur out in the parkling lot where we were not allowed to intervene.
    So I'm spending enough time in bars, but not enough outside of bars in the parking lots?

I watched on of Camey's clips -- boy she kicked their asses!

No, I'm kidding.

Those guys were throwing haymakers. They had to be drunk. Not a single solid punch and no kicks. Sheesh.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Did you watch all the way through... the guy taking those full on club (bat) strikes? That kid was crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    So I'm spending enough time in bars, but not enough outside of bars in the parking lots?

I watched on of Camey's clips -- boy she kicked their asses!

No, I'm kidding.

Those guys were throwing haymakers. They had to be drunk. Not a single solid punch and no kicks. Sheesh.

--Amy
    -Camey

Thanks

Post the link.

Those guys were nuts.

First fists, then someone grabs a club, then when that's not enough, the guy goes to get a gun.

If the cops hadn't arrived, maybe a couple of knives and an uzi.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Here are a couple of them.

WARNING: Violent material

Never seen someone be so passive...
    http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1126259507/Drunken_Fight

http://www.dumpalink.com/media/11392...ts_Out_Of_Hand
    -Camey

Thanks

i think it's pretty sick that people can stand around and watch someone get their face punched and kicked like that.
    especially by some tae kwon do punk........ok im kidding about the tae kwon do part.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Totally. Amy and I were wondering if maybe this was some gang or something. Perhaps it could have been a more perilous situation if he had retaliated. Don't know.. just a bad scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    i think it's pretty sick that people can stand around and watch someone get their face punched and kicked like that.
    especially by some tae kwon do punk........ok im kidding about the tae kwon do part.
    -Camey

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I know one guy that should have a broken ankle right now. How could that guy sit there and take that?

The second video made me feel infinately more confident in my skills.

Seriously though, did anyone catch the wrist grab attempt in the first few seconds of the fight? I don't recall actually ever 'seeing' that on film before in a real life street fight. Interesting.

Also, you can see why it's preferable to avoid situations like that all together. It quickly escelated from a one-on-one fist fight into people breaking out bats and guns.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

And the second one? The guy just sat there when this idiot kicked him in the face repeatedly.

Almost any technique would've worked better than what he did.

Delayed sword from a seated position would've done better.

Although, blocking with his face appeared to be effective.

--Amy

Thanks

i hear people talking about how wrist grabs are unrealistic.
    i was a bouncer for 5 years.....i had my wrists grabbed more during those 5 years that i did my whole life by my mom and dad.
    understanding the nuances of subtle grab releases are an important part of martial arts.......and that is why they are in every classical jujutsu system.....along with the step through punch.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

That's good to know. Can you tell more about how they were coming at you. Were they trying to restrain you or were they getting ready to punch you with their free hand?
    i hear people talking about how wrist grabs are unrealistic.
    i was a bouncer for 5 years.....i had my wrists grabbed more during those 5 years that i did my whole life by my mom and dad.
    understanding the nuances of subtle grab releases are an important part of martial arts.......and that is why they are in every classical jujutsu system.....along with the step through punch.
    -Camey

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

i have to agree with Rob on this one.
    Are you agreeing that he has seen it? Or do you see it all the time as well? Nine times out of ten, the punch causes the stepthrough. Funny how the ideal is for the attack that almost never happens.
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

How often does any attack happen? One hopes to get through their entire life without confrontation. The idea is to train for possibilites. Sure, some attacks are statistically more likely to occur than others, but does that mean we shouldn't train for the less likely attacks?

A lot of times an untrained individual that is intent on really wanting to knock your block off will (1) come at you with a haymaker (down South we call it the "Redneck-Budweiser-Punch." LOL) or (2) come at you with a step through punch. They 'step through' because they're putting their body weight and momentum behind the punch.

I personally think, based on my own experience, that you're more likely to see a haymaker but that doesn't mean you will never see a step through punch... or a wrist grab.....etc, etc, etc..
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger
    Are you agreeing that he has seen it? Or do you see it all the time as well? Nine times out of ten, the punch causes the stepthrough. Funny how the ideal is for the attack that almost never happens.
    Sean
    i am agreeing that there are a lot of step through punches thrown in bar fights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links