Thread: Real-Life Uses of Kenpo

Thanks

Default Real-Life Uses of Kenpo

Hi.

How many of you have gotten to use your kenpo? I don't absolutely mean in a big fight, but any time your training has come in handy. (Although, a good fight story is always interesting.)

I've only gotten to use it a few times, not counting the general confidence that keeps me from getting attacked in the first place.

I once had some guy in a bar try to put his hands on me and I did a double palm strike down on the back of his hands. That put a stop to him.

When I was in track in high school, my spike caught on the edge of the hurdle and I did a beautiful shoulder roll instead of falling on my face.

And I had an instructor be completely inappropriate with me once and I did the first move of parting wings to remove the offending appendages. (He had taught me that move.) I was also only 14 at the time.

Anyone care to share?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Default Re: Real-Life Uses of Kenpo

I only had to use it once a few years back. My roomate would come back drunk alot with his friend. Well his friend and me did not always see eye to eye. One night they came back and I walked through the door. He was behind the door, he closed it behind meand than threw me up against the door and started waling on my arms. I asked him what he was doing this for and than I warned him twice to stop. He didn't sooooo....one heal-palm to the eye socket put him back a few feet and over the bed. He didn't do anything anymore after that night.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Only 1 time since starting in the martial arts. A co-worker of mine started to get out of hand and eventually got to a point where I was in fear of myself from him. Anyone who knew him knows that when he gets out of control you clear the area. After he grabbed me in a bear hug I was getting slammed into anything he could slam me into. I choked him, plain and simple. He let go of me and I shoved his head in the closest toilet I could find. My other co-worker pulled us apart.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I use my neutral bow when hustling er I mean playing pool.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    Only 1 time since starting in the martial arts. A co-worker of mine started to get out of hand and eventually got to a point where I was in fear of myself from him. Anyone who knew him knows that when he gets out of control you clear the area. After he grabbed me in a bear hug I was getting slammed into anything he could slam me into. I choked him, plain and simple. He let go of me and I shoved his head in the closest toilet I could find. My other co-worker pulled us apart.
    That reminds me of a second time. I was in a different dorm and of course my roomate was drunk. He pick up in a bear hug and would not let me go event after I asked him to. So I reached behind his head and stuck my arm under his throat and started cranking back. I was surprised he lasted as long as he did, but after about 20 sec. he finally put me down.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    That reminds me of a second time. I was in a different dorm and of course my roomate was drunk.
    So, do you drive people to drink or was it the same roommate?

I have used some elbows before in close quarters when I was a teenager on a date. Man, that guys was all hands! I did a quite admirable job of keeping the octopus at bay. After a few minutes, he gave up.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

The only encounter I have had so far was at a party when a man grabbed hold of my wrists. I did the initial move of begging hands breaking his hold on me, asked him not to touch me and left the party immediately.

Also, I discovered that you can use your stances when playing raquetball. from horse to forward bow to increase your power. :P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    So, do you drive people to drink or was it the same roommate?

I have used some elbows before in close quarters when I was a teenager on a date. Man, that guys was all hands! I did a quite admirable job of keeping the octopus at bay. After a few minutes, he gave up.

--Amy

LOL. No. We are not the number one party school for nothing.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I posted my uses in the environmental awareness thread...
    similar situations, I must say.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks

The men or the drunk roommates?

-Amy

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Kinda a weird combo... drunken men. Roommate's seen me practice. She knows better.

edited to add: Remind me not to play pool w/you Rob
    Last edited by gimpat01; 02-04-2006 at 06:32 PM.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Every time I work out even though I don't feel like it ...I'm using Kenpo.

Every time I manage to stay patient in bumper to bumper traffic... I'm using Kenpo

Every time I wake up with a hangover and still make it to work... I'm using Kenpo. LOL.

Every time I have to perservere through a companies recorded prompts and punch in ump-teen different numbers only to have to repeat them to the customer service represetative who's IQ is smaller than my shoe size and I don't lose my temper....I'm using Kenpo.

Every time I manage to keep my head up when feeling discouraged or falling short of a goal...I'm using Kenpo.

Just some examples..

Oh...I almost forgot. Kenpo comes in handy if an illegal immigrant attempts to rob you with a knife at a convienence store too.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    The only encounter I have had so far was at a party when a man grabbed hold of my wrists. I did the initial move of begging hands breaking his hold on me, asked him not to touch me and left the party immediately.

Also, I discovered that you can use your stances when playing raquetball. from horse to forward bow to increase your power. :P
    Hmm I wonder what crazy person used that analogy. He must obviously NOT know what he's doing. hehe

Thanks

Well MA in general

slipped on ice and went straight back.. slapped out and was fine..

attacked only once.. sigh.. very sad... I'd like to be able to say I have avoided all encounters.

yeaaa Raquetball!!!!

got hit by a car driving wild in a parking lot.. managed to roll up the hood and shatter his windshield.. I only brused a knuckle.

hummm

yea many many more but those really stand out.

Thanks

I use my Kenpo every time I fight full contact (which is a lot), but I have never used it on the street.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Everytime I go to flush a dirty public urinal with a thrusting front kick HAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously though....I think a lot of geometry, footwork, positioning, and environment I recieved or was made aware of I have used in police work. More so on patrol as opposed to what I do now, but it is nice to now it worked for me the way it did.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

I have nothing terrible exciting, but I find I double factor everything...if I pass by someone, I double factor parry them on by...I do the same thing to open the shower curtains o_o*

Using principles Ive learned in kenpo, like body fusion, I can take apart a cappuccino machine's drip tray that likes to stay stuck. (everyone always asks me to do it now o_O)

Yeah lame, I know. No fights or bad situations with me yet...no one tries anything with me - I dunno why o_O
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Besides the usual "breakfall when you slip on the ice" kind of stuff. I've had to use it a few times on the job, nothing really serious though...just a little "attitude adjusting."
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    LOL. No. We are not the number one party school for nothing.
    You got to WVU?
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Red face Re: Real-Life Uses of Kenpo

Back quite a few years ago. I was some where I really should'nt have been, and was threatened by a guy with a siding knife. He was crouched low, and pretty enibriated. I told him I did'nt want to fight, and bluntly suckered him dead on the chin, with a chicken snap kick. He went straight back like a board, and I actually thought I may of hurt him seriously, but thank GOD he was just k.o.'d.

1stJohn1:9

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links