Thread: Universal Kempo Questions

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Question Universal Kempo Questions

I have a couple of questions about Universal Kempo (Buell) style. I was previously a Villari student. I am now looking at a Universal Kempo school near my home. I am wondering how similar the styles are and how much of what I learned at Villaris will "transfer" between systems. I have not been able to find any info online about the Universal Kempo styles techniques, katas, etc. I am just looking for some general information, so If anyone out there can fill me in I would appreciate it. In case anyone is wondering, I am looking at changing systems for geographic reasons, .e. I am no longer able to get to the Villari school due to where I work, and the Universal Kempo school is very near my home. I am hoping the systems are similar enough that I will be able to relate what I have already learned so I won't be a totaly blank slate in the new system.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Universal Kempo Questions

Quote Originally Posted by tony_m_baker
    I have a couple of questions about Universal Kempo (Buell) style. I was previously a Villari student. I am now looking at a Universal Kempo school near my home. I am wondering how similar the styles are and how much of what I learned at Villaris will "transfer" between systems. I have not been able to find any info online about the Universal Kempo styles techniques, katas, etc. I am just looking for some general information, so If anyone out there can fill me in I would appreciate it. In case anyone is wondering, I am looking at changing systems for geographic reasons, .e. I am no longer able to get to the Villari school due to where I work, and the Universal Kempo school is very near my home. I am hoping the systems are similar enough that I will be able to relate what I have already learned so I won't be a totaly blank slate in the new system.
    Universal Kempo is basically a Kajukenbo Offshoot. Martin Buell trained in Kajukenbo under Walter Godin (student of Joe and Adriano Emperado). Godin was also the co-founder of Karazenpo Goshinjitsu. Over his lifetime, Godin basically taught under the "Chinese Kempo", "Karazenpo", and "Kajukenbo" banners, depending on his affliation at the time. Another well known student of Godin's is John Hackleman, Chuck Liddel's teacher.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links