Thread: Implimenting Change

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Implimenting Change

How do the school owners here impliment change into their schools. Do you handle it like Eric Cartman, "You will respect my authoritay" if someone questions the change. Do you bumble through the change like Mr. Mackey with lots of "um's" and "Okay" . Do you just try and sneak it on by, and hope no one cares.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Implimenting Change

Speaking from my exsperiances as a student under many different instructors, all the "changes" that I have experianced were of the students requests and the instructors aproval.

Thanks

It seems to me martial art studios are see pretty autocratic. While I have been told why certain changes have taken place, the decision has always be with the owner. I have also convinced my instructor to make small changes in things, but again the decision was his, not mine. I have also seen the "my way or the highway" which since I didn't disagree with the decision was fine with me.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Do you have a specific type of change in mind? Technique, policy, requirements?

There can be only one head instructor/owner. You are his student and trust in his judgement to keep you on the path.

Thanks

I have no changes n mind for my school, but i have seen it in many schools over the yers, and if it is a daramatic change I have seen people lose up to half their students over it. I am curious how other school owners handle this situation, so that we have a bit of a reference in case someone here decides to make some sort of changes in their school.

Thanks

We change stuff all the time. Since that is more the norm than not, nobody really makes much of the change announcements until we're sure they're going to stick. The changes shift like the wind.

My instructor likes to change a lot of stuff because I think he gets bored. I usually just keep what I like and don't worry about the rest.

He made the change to break the class into 15 min. segments and I liked that, so I kept doing it. He sort of changed it, but I just kept it because it works really well for me and he just tells me to do what works.

The newest thing is that he wants all the instructors to wear matching gis. He's going to supply the gi, so I have no complaints. (Except that I am not fantatical about doing laundry, which is why I have so many gis. So we'll have to work that one out.) He said he wants more consistency so the students all know who the instructors are.

I can tell you that MY students know that I'M the instructor for their class. Either that, or I'm just some bossy chick who likes to talk loud. Both are true.

Do all the instructors at your schools wear matching gis?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Every person in my school wears black. When a person is assisting in the children's class they wear a red belt. Since there is no red belt in the system it identifies them quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    We change stuff all the time. Since that is more the norm than not, nobody really makes much of the change announcements until we're sure they're going to stick. The changes shift like the wind.

My instructor likes to change a lot of stuff because I think he gets bored. I usually just keep what I like and don't worry about the rest.

He made the change to break the class into 15 min. segments and I liked that, so I kept doing it. He sort of changed it, but I just kept it because it works really well for me and he just tells me to do what works.

The newest thing is that he wants all the instructors to wear matching gis. He's going to supply the gi, so I have no complaints. (Except that I am not fantatical about doing laundry, which is why I have so many gis. So we'll have to work that one out.) He said he wants more consistency so the students all know who the instructors are.

I can tell you that MY students know that I'M the instructor for their class. Either that, or I'm just some bossy chick who likes to talk loud. Both are true.

Do all the instructors at your schools wear matching gis?

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I have no changes n mind for my school, but i have seen it in many schools over the yers, and if it is a daramatic change I have seen people lose up to half their students over it. I am curious how other school owners handle this situation, so that we have a bit of a reference in case someone here decides to make some sort of changes in their school.
    Yes, when we changed from TKD to Kenpo, we first did it gradually. Big enough change? For about a year, students didn't know they were being slowly introduced to a different style. Then when there was enough experience we 'officially' changed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

We not only accept it, we encourage change. So there's not usually any problem implementing a change of any kind.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    How do the school owners here impliment change into their schools. Do you handle it like Eric Cartman, "You will respect my authoritay" if someone questions the change. Do you bumble through the change like Mr. Mackey with lots of "um's" and "Okay" . Do you just try and sneak it on by, and hope no one cares.
    I think it all depends on the situation/circumstance being changed and the principles and standards that you hold dear and want to center your school upon.

In other words, there's not much to go on from this question.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,192 Posts

Decisions to make changes are made at the top, as is the process to implement change. Ideas for changes can come from below though. Before big changes are implemented, the instructors are notified, an e-mail goes out to students and notices are placed in the school. For small changes, it can happen just after the instructors are informed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gakusei
    Yes, when we changed from TKD to Kenpo, we first did it gradually. Big enough change? For about a year, students didn't know they were being slowly introduced to a different style. Then when there was enough experience we 'officially' changed.
    I took a Tae Kwon Do class that had completely gone Temple Kung Fu on everyone and the bottom line is no one cared because in the beginning an instructors job is to convince a person to become a martial artist. Curriculum is not the issue. Its about an instructor setting students on a Mental, physical, emotional, perceptual, and spiritual path. That takes a good speaker and a good teacher. New students are your bread and butter anyway, none of it would matter in a year. I quit because none of it was Kenpo. I high tailed it back to Spokane.
    Sean

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: Implimenting Change

It depends greatly on the specific nature of the change.

Policy Changes = Respect mah auth-or-i-tie!

Requirements = Ditto !

Techniques = Generally a leangthy debate among the upper ranked students and seniors accompanied by a great deal of trial & error experiementation. (In the end this still = "Respect mah auth-or-i-tie!" ) lol
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Depending on the severity of the change this can be a hard thing to do.

Like chaning from 10/24 to something else.

Really the main thing is having the buy in from your students before a major change. This isnt ancient Japan where we say "cuz the masta said so".
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links