Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenpo Philosophies

Thanks

Default Kenpo Philosophies

This is something I put in our newsletter. Just thought I'd share. Anyone have any they'd like to add?

School Rules
    Always bow onto and off of the mat.
    Remove your shoes.
    Show respect to all students and teachers.
    If others need help – offer it.
    Say, “yes, sir–no, sir” & “yes, ma’am–no, ma’am” as appropriate.

Kenpo Rules
    Avoid hopping.
    Keep your back straight.
    Always drop your weight.
    Kenpo Philosophies
    As you teach – so shall you learn.
    As you practice – so shall you do.
    If you don’t want to get hit – take Tai Chi

What goes out, must come back.
    If someone touches you with something – it’s yours to keep.
    Before you kick someone above the waist, bring them down a notch or two.
    If your first block doesn’t work, the technique is useless.
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Kenpo Philosophies

Sure! Why not? We recite the 10 Objectives of Kenpo prior to starting class after the salutation. You could kind of consider it a code of ethics I suppose..anyway..here they are (complete with how we define them.)

Kenpoist strive to achieve....

Discipline: To enforce upon oneself a pattern of positive behaviour necessary for self-improvement.

Patience: To perservere calmly when faced with difficulty.

Character: To be accountable for oneself and act responsibly towards others.

Etiquette: To follow the accepted codes of proper behaviour.

Modesty: To never underestimate the abilities of others.

Self-Control: To excercise restraint over ones actions and impulses.

Peace: To maintain a state of mental calm.

Justice: To be fair and resonable in ones interactions with others.

Self-Preservation: To do what is necessary to live.

Indomitable Spirit: To remain determined, brave, and impossible to defeat.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    If you don’t want to get hit – take Tai Chi
    i find this to be so true. in tai chi, we have a very good training methods and principles to avoid getting hit, and these can be seamlessly integrated into american kenpo. it is also very useful in developing the 'soft controls' necessary to dissolve locks and holds in grappling situations. i've never seen this actually quoted as a kenpo philosophy before, but i do understand that sgm ed parker practiced tai chi at one time, and had a yang-syle instructor in his pasadena studio. is this something you've done to encourage your students to enhance their kenpo with internal methods? do you teach tai chi?

thanks,
    pete

Thanks

I don't teach tai chi, no.

I think it's great for avoiding getting hit.

I actually used it for people who complained endlessly about getting hit. It was sort of meant to be funny. How you can become high ranking in the kenpo system and have a really strong aversion to getting hit is beyond me.

I do think any form of martial arts is valuable and most have parts that can be integrated into Kenpo. That's the cool thing about kenpo.

If it works; it's kenpo. Like America. If we like it, we adopt it.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

My grandmother wants to start Tai Chi. What do you all think about Tai Chi?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Tai Chi is great low impact excercise. Tell your grandmother to go for it! But I'm assuming that because you called her "grandmother" that she is on in years....I could be incorrect, but...it's still a good low impact excercise. Just ask David Carridine. I hear he likes it too
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I actually used it for people who complained endlessly about getting hit. It was sort of meant to be funny. How you can become high ranking in the kenpo system and have a really strong aversion to getting hit is beyond me.
    that is funny, i though not getting hit was the goal of kenpo???

i could be mistaken, but that's why we block, parry, and step off the line of attack all the time. wouldn't a strong aversion to getting hit be an asset to become high ranking in the kenpo system?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

It is a two way street, you have to be able to take a shot to give a shot. Remember to feel is to believe.
    Last edited by Rob Broad; 02-01-2006 at 03:08 PM.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    It is a two street, you have to be able to take a shot to give a shot. Remember to feel is to believe.
    Agreed
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

you are talking about the difference between training and actual self defense. in training, you have to work at the level of intensity agreed upon your training buddy and yourself (and instructor). in real situation, there is no such agreement, therefore, practicing to avoid getting hit is just as important, if not more so, than 'taking a shot'.

back to tai chi... i teach a class each sunday morning. the class is mostly comprised of students who actively train in other martial art styles, such as kenpo, jujitsu, aikido, and even had a tae kwon do stylist at one time. its a fun class because not only do we practice tai chi, but demonstrate how certain movements or basic principles can be applied to enhance the other style without contradicting that styles objectives.

'granny' tai chi is more often than not a placebo. it gets elderly people up on their feet and moving a bit, gives them something to do and others to socialize with, but is usually just a bunch of nice people waving their arms slowly. not the elixer of life, but better than nothing i guess. and it won't help them avoid getting hit~

pete

Thanks

In all fairness, there are 3 points of view. One of which usually involves knowing what it feels like to have a technique executed on you. I'm in no way endorsing abuse of students, what I'm saying is if you are studying Kenpo there will be contact. It's better to get accustomed to being hit in the dojo than to be taken off gaurd by a blow and hesitate on the street.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    One of which usually involves knowing what it feels like to have a technique executed on you
    is essential in any martial art, kenpo and tai chi. without it, there is no frame of reference for how to get the right reaction from your opponent. accidents will happen, but there has to be control to limit the frequency and damage of injury. i do not want to be hit full force from ANY of my training partners, and they don't want same from me. that is the understanding.

...and as accidents can and will happen, i have all my tai chi student sign liability waivers.

pete

Thanks

Wink Re: Kenpo Philosophies

I think that avoiding getting hit is important, but if you've never been hit, and you get hit on the street, you would likely freeze. Your body would be in shock from the hit.

I was referring to upper belts who hit hard, then whine if anyone hits with the same intensity. I'm not talking about blasting anyone. Nobody wants excessive contact, but I agree that feeling is believing.

You can, however, ride an inward block without breaking their arm and they will still feel the pressure and intensity of the block and know it works. You can use a controlled punch with the intensity behind it and the uke will feel the energy without the pain.

I didn't expect such a flurry of response from the comment.

I was not putting the art of tai chi into question.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I didn't expect such a flurry of response from the comment.

I was not putting the art of tai chi into question.

--Amy
    your philosophy statement would be equivalent of saying 'if you want to learn how to slap - take up kenpo'. see what kind of response that would draw...

pete

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Tai Chi is great low impact excercise. Tell your grandmother to go for it! But I'm assuming that because you called her "grandmother" that she is on in years....I could be incorrect, but...it's still a good low impact excercise. Just ask David Carridine. I hear he likes it too
    LOL. THanks. Where has he been these days? Last I saw him was Kill Bill.

Thanks

I would think would be more that if you want to learn to slap-check, take up kenpo.

We do slap ourselves a lot. Masochistic art.

When most people think of tai chi, they think of old people in the park moving slowly -- no contact.

I have heard that it's very effective if sped up, but it's that picture I was speaking to. No offense intended.

--Amy

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,192 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    you are talking about the difference between training and actual self defense. in training, you have to work at the level of intensity agreed upon your training buddy and yourself (and instructor). in real situation, there is no such agreement, therefore, practicing to avoid getting hit is just as important, if not more so, than 'taking a shot'.

back to tai chi... i teach a class each sunday morning. the class is mostly comprised of students who actively train in other martial art styles, such as kenpo, jujitsu, aikido, and even had a tae kwon do stylist at one time. its a fun class because not only do we practice tai chi, but demonstrate how certain movements or basic principles can be applied to enhance the other style without contradicting that styles objectives.

'granny' tai chi is more often than not a placebo. it gets elderly people up on their feet and moving a bit, gives them something to do and others to socialize with, but is usually just a bunch of nice people waving their arms slowly. not the elixer of life, but better than nothing i guess. and it won't help them avoid getting hit~

pete
    Tai Chi is actually harder for me than kenpo. The body parts that are beaten up from years of abuse hate extended slow motion movement.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    i do not want to be hit full force from ANY of my training partners, and they don't want same from me. that is the understanding.

...and as accidents can and will happen, i have all my tai chi student sign liability waivers.

pete
    Hmmmm...... Gotta get me one of them there liability waivers!!!!! Teehee honey!

Donna

Thanks

Slapping is included in the syllabus as a legitimate strike. It's so demoralizing! But remember, it's real easy to turn Mr. Hand into Mr. Fist.

Thanks

I always thought slapping was legitimate when my sister did it to me. And demoralizing. Glad she didn't know about Mr. (or Miss) fist.

--Amy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links