Thread: What is your ideal warm up

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default What is your ideal warm up

What do you think is the perfect warm up for you class.

Be specific, give the exercises, and quantities.

That way we can use this as a resource for instructors who find them self in a pinch.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: What is your ideal warm up

I don't know if it's ideal, but this is what I usually do:

1. 30 jumping jacks
    2. 30 push-ups
    3. 25 leg curl/crunches (all in one)
    4. Stretching for a few.
    5. 10 straight leg raises with each leg to the front
    6. 10 more each to the side.
    7. 10 to the rear.
    8. 20 each of upward, inward, outward, downward and push-down blocks.
    9. 100 straight punchs.

Then perhaps some snap kicks, rear kicks, etc.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Darn, let's see if I can remember:

Warm Up:
    50 Jumping Jacks or Jumping punches
    50 Pushups
    50 Squat Kicks
    75-100 Toe Raises
    Ab Work so I can kick 'em
    50-100 Leg Lifts (with variations)
    30 Diamond Crunches
    2 Sets of 25 Streight Crunches
    1 Set of 25 Cross Crunches per side
    1 Set of 25 Oblique Crunches
    1 Set of 25 Reverse Crunches
    1 Set of Crunches to failure
    Stretches:
    About 15 to 20 minutes of a formal stretch routine

Basics:
    3 Variations depending on my mood - Static (horse stance basic blocks, punches and kicks); Shadow Boxing (Dynamic Kickboxing or boxing/maneuvers); Bag work or "GUTS" training (resistance against bags or partners)

Then we move into class.

Some people puke - but that is okay, they get over it ... neh Gin-Gin? She came from my old school and they also add cardio as a required part of class ... at least if you want to progress.

-Michael
    “The superior man cultivates a friendly harmony, without being weak.—How firm is he in his energy! He stands erect in the middle without inclining to either side.—How firm is he in his energy!”
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

keep em coming.

Now, how much of a class should be spent on the warm up?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I do 1/4-1/3 of the class time. Warm-ups and stretches prevent injuries which can lead to loss of students, or extended leaves of absence while their broken ankle heals.

-Michael
    “The superior man cultivates a friendly harmony, without being weak.—How firm is he in his energy! He stands erect in the middle without inclining to either side.—How firm is he in his energy!”
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I try to limit the warm up to approximately 15 minutes to allow more time for 'Kenpo'.

Start out with joint rotations to lubricate and warm up the joints to prevent injuries. Using a standard 8 count we run through full range of motion. Wrist and elbow rotations, neck rotations, shoulder rolls, torso twists, knee rotations.

Then we do cardio-calesthenics to raise body temp (in order to get the full benefit from your stretch it is important to raise your body temp 1-2 degrees.) Knee lifts (10 count with every 4 cycle equalling 1 count), squat thrusts (10 count/same as above), Knuckle push ups (10 count), V-Ups (10 count), and then Hindu Squats (20 count).

Then we move on to static stretching (stretch and hold)

Then on to ballistic stretching. Front leg lifts (10 count) followed by side leg lifts (10 count)

Then on to "activity specific" stretching. Front snap kicks (10 count) front thrust kicks (10 count) two punch combos (10 count) side snap kicks (10 count) and side thrust kicks (10 count). These are done on both right and left sides.

Then we relax and cool down with deep breathing excercises and then it's on to the curriculum.

=)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Class starts with forward snap kicks and rear kicks. I start out at a slower pace and then pick it up. Next comes rear kicks the same way. Then I spend a few minutes on detailing the kicks and doing a few more. Next comes a punching drill in a horse stance. Given that a group class lasts only 30 minutes, I usually have 15 minutes to work on whatever else I feel like working on that day.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    Class starts with forward snap kicks and rear kicks. I start out at a slower pace and then pick it up. Next comes rear kicks the same way. Then I spend a few minutes on detailing the kicks and doing a few more. Next comes a punching drill in a horse stance. Given that a group class lasts only 30 minutes, I usually have 15 minutes to work on whatever else I feel like working on that day.
    The whole class is only 30 minutes!?! That sucks! Our classes are scheduled for 75 minutes each but usually end up running for 90. I think some of us would live in the dojo if sifu would let us! LOL
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

It depends on class. If we are going to work on kicking, we will have a longer warmup similar to those posted. Maybe to some line drill work to warm up and so we can check technique.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    The whole class is only 30 minutes!?! That sucks! Our classes are scheduled for 75 minutes each but usually end up running for 90. I think some of us would live in the dojo if sifu would let us! LOL
    As I've said in other threads, the Group class is 30 minutes and the Tactical Advancement Class is 30 minutes. Students usually go back to back and work out for an hour. By the time Group is over, there's a lot of sweating and heavy breathing going on. There's also no limit on how many classes a week a student attends.

Stretching and calisthenics are on their time, not during class time.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenposatori
    I do 1/4-1/3 of the class time. Warm-ups and stretches prevent injuries which can lead to loss of students, or extended leaves of absence while their broken ankle heals.

-Michael
    I guess I should have mentioned class length are at least an hour and a half (90 minutes). I do not think I could get everything done in less.

-Michael
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links