Thread: Class Set-Up

Thanks

Default Class Set-Up

Hi.

How do you all set up your classes? Adult classes.

We only have a few upper belts in the school right now, so we don't really have an advanced class.

I teach the beginners, which is practically all the adults. We have one orange belt during the day, a green belt (I give privates to) who can't come to group much, and a green belt who works a lot and comes erratically.

The only other black belt comes on opposite days as I do and we don't especially get along.

How do you work it for upper belt students to get lesson time in?

My lessons have been, shall we say, inconsistent. If you don't have enough students for an advanced group or a black belt class, then do you just find time to give them privates or what?

I need a new plan.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Class Set-Up

Our adult classes are open to all ranks. We don't have any regulary scheduled advanced/BB adult classes.

We will give the senior students higher level stuff to work on during the class. I.e. if doing partner drills, we will have the senior switch technque to match their level.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Same here, we break up according to ranks, with the instructor giving equal time to all. If we are doing Forms /Sets night, if you know the form, you work it. if you don't, you work on your own form with assistance from the instructor, Tec night, we do the tec lines, when it's your turn if you don't know the tec, the defender tells what it's a defense against and so on.. or we pair up and do our tecs that way, or air kenpo.. mood dependant.

Thanks

My problem is that I teach the Monday-Wednesday class, so there isn't a chance for me to go to class.

I used to go to the beginner class (since we have no upper belts), but that was when I was just assisting.

I'll just have to be a bigger pest to my instructor, I guess.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,192 Posts

Here's a link to our class schedule: http://www.richardleeseastwest.com/r...s_schedule.pdf

Unfortunately, it doesn't reflect a couple of adult only classes that have been added. My morning classes are 95% adults, as are the classes that are later at night. In the summer, when the kids are out of school, we break the morning classes into kids and adults, with some of the teenage brown belts running the kids class.

Les
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

In my adult class I have;

One Blue Belt
    Two Purple Belts
    Four Orange Belts
    Two Yellow Belts
    One White Belt
    Two Junior Brown Belts (In our kids syllabus this ranks them as the equilivent of adult purple belts)

One of the Purple Belts has a heart condition and only trains when she can.
    One of the Orange Belts Works shifts and doesn't make half the classes.
    One of the Yellow Belts works offshore on a 3 weeks on 1 week off pattern.
    One of the Jnr brown Belts doesn't like the other one and wont train if the other one is there.

As you can guess, working out my lesson plans is a challenge. SO long as I know who won't be there I can usually work a lesson where everyone gains some knowledge. My Blue belt often ends up assisting me, but I level that out with regular privates. He doesn't pay any class fees if he's assisting me, althought he always tries to pay anyway.

Les
    I'm only here to learn

Thanks

Wow! And I thought I had problems!

I had one class where the instructor made it easier. We met twice a week for three hours at a time. Once a week was technique night. We came with our binders, bowed in, and started reviewing our techniques by ourself or sometimes with a partner.

Then the instructor would come over and teach us each two new techniques in a private lesson and then left us to practice. We usually stopped as soon as he left and started writing madly in our binders so we wouldn't forget the move. Forgetting was not an option.

That made it easy for him and we spent 3 hours a week, guaranteed, practicing our techniques.

I don't think that would work in a more commercial school.

--Amy

Thanks

I have seperate classes for beginners, intermediate, and advanced students, and I know they prefer it that way. This way their classes can be focussed completely on their material, not to mention fighting drills that are appropriate for their ranks.

In no way does this imply that advanced students should not constantly be working on beginner stuff as well, of course.

Jamie Seabrook

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    I have seperate classes for beginners, intermediate, and advanced students, and I know they prefer it that way. This way their classes can be focussed completely on their material, not to mention fighting drills that are appropriate for their ranks.

In no way does this imply that advanced students should not constantly be working on beginner stuff as well, of course.

Jamie Seabrook
    Do you feel beginners not working with senior students is an issue? The instuctor may to the technique a few times; but, if they are working with a senior or many different senior students they will get a variety of examples to learn from.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gakusei
    Do you feel beginners not working with senior students is an issue? The instuctor may to the technique a few times; but, if they are working with a senior or many different senior students they will get a variety of examples to learn from.
    Good points.

I have a two-fold answer:

(1) I teach almost all of the classes myself, and I always make sure to jump in and give them a realistic attack.

(2) We have a Thursday night "fight night" where each student (regardless of rank) has the opportunity to try techniques and sparring out with dozens of different people of various ranks, and of lots of sizes.

Respectfully,

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Being a small school, everybody has is either in one of two classes, children or adults.

In the childrens classes, after the warm up, we break off into the belt groups and the instructors teach the appropriate material them.

In adult class things work about the same, but I have more time to move from group to groups. My too highest ranked students assist in the class, and then while everyone is practicing I teach the two people who assist their new material.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    My too highest ranked students assist in the class, and then while everyone is practicing I teach the two people who assist their new material.
    That is a great appoach to use while teaching Rob.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

It is the way my instructor taught me so many years ago.

I like this approach because because it helps the advanced students review their lower belt material.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

I used to be the lower belt doing all the helping, but now that I have my own class, it seems to just be me all by my lonely teaching.

That's mostly because we only have 2 green belts and they can't come to class.

My goal is to get some of these guys into their purples and blues so they can assist!

It'll be a little while.

--Amy

Thanks

Our setup is similar to Rob's.

We run two two hour classes per week, plus one "open" class with an instructor. We use a half hour for basics and warm-up, an hour of group class, and the last half hour has the instructors circulating and giving private instruction. Depending on the focus of the class, we can break the class into appropriate skill ranks with one of the instructors looking on. Right now we have 6 active black belts at the school, so we have alot of flexibility during the group class as well as having time for private instruction during the final half hour. Black belts receive instruction outside of regular class time.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

We have a standard format we try to stick to, but classes often go off on tangents...if ya know what I mean. LOL

Monday and Tuesday nights are usually focused on forms, Wensday and Thursdays are usually focused on techniques, and Fridays are usually for make ups, testing, sparring, grappling or any other miscelaneous things we want to address. I usually refer to Fridays as "Gravy Night" because regardless of rank all students can get exposed to things outside the syllabus: weapon disarms, street scenarios, or In-The-Middle drills...stuff like that.

Each class starts out with the warm up. Then we usually do a self defense drill of some sort that all students can participate in. It could be training stikes with a kicking shield or focus pad, or combo's with the heavy bag, or any other drill you can think of.... then it's on to the curriculum.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

i just got my first brown on 01-19-2006.. (we go 3rd to first)..My instructor is a 5th black... there are two 2nd bb in our school that attend and teach..

We dont section off the classes according to rank.. who ever shows up for class can particapate(sp).. our instructor is GREAT at dividing time amugst the students...if i am working on my material, and sensi is working with some one else and i see some one having trouble with something, i will go over and give a hand to help the person ot the best of my knoledge. actually during class on thrusday evening i was learning the extention to snapping twig, and one of our blue belts was having some truoble with short 3 so i stoped what i was doing and went over to give some insite to the form..

I have recently been laid off from my job... the good thing is i get to go to class every night of the week, and i get to go in for the kids class before the adults class.... i want to be an instructor so this is really helping out with that...

we dont have any quarils amoungst our students.. it is a really great learning enviorment...

your kenpo brother
    shane

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links