Thread: Teaching a Kei

Thanks

Default Teaching a Kei

Do any of you have any tools for helping students to kei? (What's the correct spelling for that darn word?)

I have a bunch of really quiet students and the closest thing to a kei they do is a slight exhalation of breath.

It kills me.

I've been trying to show them the importance of the power and exhalation, etc., but some of them (adults) just laugh. Giggle, really.

I have two or three of the men who get it, but often they do it from their throats or not really from the gut.

Any suggestions?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Teaching a Kei

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Do any of you have any tools for helping students to kei? (What's the correct spelling for that darn word?)
    It is spelled Kiai

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Any suggestions?

--Amy
    Have them shout when doing their warm up exercises, especially when they are doing crunches or leg raises. Have them shout "I", on every crunch or leg raise. It won't take long til you can get them doing a proper Kiai when ever you want.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

I leave it up to them, some people are too shy to kia. I know I kia though. If they do not want to kia I just tell them to breath out.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Not as much as we should. We bring it up every now and then.

When we are doing drills, we want them to kiai on every 5th move. We also remind them to kiai on partner drills.

Thanks

I remind them all the time. I tease them about it and sometimes give them grief. I cajole, yell, laugh, encourage, and show an example of it on a regular basis.

I make faces sometimes and stand next to them and exhale loudly.

They know what I'm doing and they are amused, but it more that they don't get it or are too shy to make that much noise.

Funny -- you can't shut the kids up, but the adults are like church mice.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,192 Posts

We consider the kiai to be important for several reasons. I'll let students get away without one up to the point where they're testing for orange belt. By then, they have to have a least a little one. At the very least, they have to forcefully exhale where a kiai would normally be.

For students who bottle everything up in their throat, what I tell them is to tighten their abdominal muscles everytime they kiai. It has worked quite well, so far.

Usually, new students feel embarassed when asked to do this. A lot of reassurance that this is the one time they can use their "outside voice" inside helps. Constant exposure and constant encouragement are important.

Have you tried showing them a technique with and without a kiai? Or have them do a technique both ways?

Thanks

That's a good idea about doing the techniques both ways.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Tell then if they are not willing to kiai (coordinated breath) or yell, they can sing their ABC's when doing techniques. If they are not willing to shout or sing...tell them they are refusing an improtant part of the class and it is non negotiable. If they continue to refuse, ask them to leave untill they are willing to listen to you.

Regards,
    Walt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

O.K., I'll be the black sheep here.

We don't stress the "Kiai" but we do stress proper breathing and exhaling properly when executing a maneuver and here's why: Too many times when studenst "Kiai" their mouth is wide open. That's bad. Especially if you get smacked in the jaw while it's open. If that happens, I garauntee you will be out cold and possibly missing a few teeth when you wake up.

We stress the importance of keeping your mouth shut so that 1) if you take a strike to the jaw you will be less likely to be knocked out and 2) you won't have to worry about your teeth clacking together and knocking the enamel off. LOL.

Besides, when you encourage proper breathing without the "Kiai" it can be quite entertaining to hear some of the noises people make. LOL. I guess we're a tad on the untraditional side. =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

I for one Kiai.. really loudly... and managed to scare one of my instructors at the new school... I also have the benefit of 7 years classical training as a Baritone and can almost do one of Handel's 16th note runs in a single breath... I tell you .. that man was evil.

When I was teaching my kids class I used to have them stand in a horse, put their hand on their belly and show them the difference between breathing from the chest and breathing from the diaphragm. Then I have them put their other hand about 6 inches from their mouth and tell them to exhale in a quick puff. One hand should feel a breeze and the hand on the tummy should feel it pop. When they are able to do that then add sound to it. Sound or not.. at least they are breathing right..

That’s how I was trained to breath for singing in staccato.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    O.K., I'll be the black sheep here.

We don't stress the "Kiai" but we do stress proper breathing and exhaling properly when executing a maneuver and here's why: Too many times when studenst "Kiai" their mouth is wide open. That's bad. Especially if you get smacked in the jaw while it's open. If that happens, I garauntee you will be out cold and possibly missing a few teeth when you wake up.

We stress the importance of keeping your mouth shut so that 1) if you take a strike to the jaw you will be less likely to be knocked out and 2) you won't have to worry about your teeth clacking together and knocking the enamel off. LOL.

Besides, when you encourage proper breathing without the "Kiai" it can be quite entertaining to hear some of the noises people make. LOL. I guess we're a tad on the untraditional side. =)
    Keep your mouth shut, and you're breathing through your nose. How long before the mouth opens, or you wear out because you're not getting enough air? Do you notice a diminished level of energy in your movement because your mouth is closed?

I agree with you on the kiai from this respect, the student whose mouth is wide open is probably paying more attention to the kiai than to the movement.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I actually expected more flak than this. LOL.

Lips open..mouth closed. The idea is simply not to leave your mouth wide open. There's quite possibly millions of knockouts that occured simply because the individual got struck in the jaw with their mouth open.

In addition, the closer your teeth are together the less the distance the bottom teeth travel to connect with the top row of teeth upon impact of a strike; in essence reducing the risk of loosing them when they collide due to your mouth being wide open. LOL <- see my pearly whites? No gaps! heh...
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Lips open..mouth closed.
    Like this?

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

For kids sometimes I hold a medicine ball above their stomachs and teach them to tighten up and kiai as I drop it (gently, from close - not like the adults where they have to catch it WITH their stomachs.)

From other schools I get a yell, like the word "Ice", then I teach them to open up the throat and not use the vocal cords as much as the abdomen, tantien, hara, center, or whatever you call it to provide the "tension" for exhalation.

-Michael
    “The superior man cultivates a friendly harmony, without being weak.—How firm is he in his energy! He stands erect in the middle without inclining to either side.—How firm is he in his energy!”
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links