Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Air Kenpo"

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default "Air Kenpo"

I have not thought about this in awhile but being broken and healing this randomly passed in thought so I thought I would address it here;

How often do you train techniques on a body? How often do you "air kenpo" it? I know of a couple of schools that very rarely work techniques on a body and the majority of the time work things in the air, to me this seems like a decent way to practice on your home but one of the benefits of being in class should be having a training partner available.

I have also seen people whipping out techniques in the air looking sharp and dramatic, yet you throw an attacker and body in front of them and they fall apart.

How do you avoid this? What methods of reps and working are the techniques delivered in your training? I personally prefer having an anvil to bang the hammer on.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: "Air Kenpo"

When I teach a technique to a student, I have them do it 10 times in the air. Then they start doing on a person, every class when they are doing techniques they can do them a couple times in the air but after that it is against a person. You have to get them doing their techniques against a person as soon as possible so that they become comfortable hitting and getting hit. This way they get the most out of each group class and can do 'Air kenpo' at home when theirisn't a victim, er I mean training partner.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I agree, you have to have some contact. For full contact we'll get out the shields. They have to learn balance issues and difference between air and contact.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

If you practice never hitting anything, when the time comes, you won't be able to hit anything.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 610 Posts

Working technique on a body is crucial. As soon as I feel that a student is comfortable with the gross movements of a technique, I begin to phase them into working the technique on a body. The next step is to execute with full power, we use the Kenpo Ultraman for that purpose. It doesn't have all the reactions of a warm body, but it's the best tool I have found for getting the students used to making solid contact.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    When I teach a technique to a student, I have them do it 10 times in the air. Then they start doing on a person, every class when they are doing techniques they can do them a couple times in the air but after that it is against a person. You have to get them doing their techniques against a person as soon as possible so that they become comfortable hitting and getting hit. This way they get the most out of each group class and can do 'Air kenpo' at home when theirisn't a victim, er I mean training partner.
    Yup.....

That's the way we do it too. Show the student the moves and explain the principles behind them, let them run through it a couple of times to get the feel of it, then throw in the uke!

When I was coming up through the ranks I rarely went home without a bruise or two. Shoot, even as an assistant instructor I still get abused a bit. LOL. I'm reminded of one of the first things I ever heard EKKS President Mr. Brint Berry say. He said, and I quote, "If you leave class without some bumps and bruises then you didn't learn anything." He was half-joking at the time, but I think he is right for the most part. Kenpo is physical so it stands to reason that if you're doing it right you're going to get a bruise or two.

IMHO- =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

We do bits of both. I like them to work on bodies, but sometimes I just call techniques fast for them to do them in the air to help their recall and their ability to move quickly.

Practicing in the air is good for sequential flow, but hitting a body just makes it all feel real.

I have one green belt I work with who, because of time, can't go to group much, so he works by himself a lot except for the time with me. He's continually frustrated because he says he looks so coooool in the air!

The other ones who bug me are the ones who are doing it 'on' me, but don't move me. One of the things I love about my instructor is that he puts the move on me and puts me exactly where he needs me, I feel the force and intensity of the movements, but I'm not beat up.

I'm working towards that same goal.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

We have a specific drill where all line up and the tec is called out. The defense is called out by 1st in line, the tec performed by all (when instructor says 'Move' (Base side done) with all coming to attention, then Reposition, opposite side is then done and last move held til the Instructor calls out "Recover".
    We cover the tecs in all belt levels with this and it is good as we can visually cover foot positioning, hands, and body mechanics, alignment etc.

We do tec lines or pair each other up, no matter what belt level (white with green, black whatever) then each works the tec together or in the tec line, with good targeting and good strikes and good uke'ing

Both have merits for sure. as for the air kenpo.. I don't want anyone doing finger set on me .. jus sayin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

There's nothing wrong with "Air Kenpo" to learn and perfect movement but at some point, you have to do it on somebody, for all the reasons already mentioned.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    There's nothing wrong with "Air Kenpo" to learn and perfect movement but at some point, you have to do it on somebody, for all the reasons already mentioned.
    To quote the late, great Bruce Lee, "Knowledge is not enough, you must apply."
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    I have not thought about this in awhile but being broken and healing this randomly passed in thought so I thought I would address it here;

How often do you train techniques on a body? How often do you "air kenpo" it? I know of a couple of schools that very rarely work techniques on a body and the majority of the time work things in the air, to me this seems like a decent way to practice on your home but one of the benefits of being in class should be having a training partner available.

I have also seen people whipping out techniques in the air looking sharp and dramatic, yet you throw an attacker and body in front of them and they fall apart.

How do you avoid this? What methods of reps and working are the techniques delivered in your training? I personally prefer having an anvil to bang the hammer on.
    I always try to train on the body. There is a big difference doing something in the air compared to the body. My school always does stuff on the body, it helps you to get used to periferal vision, depth perception and the feeling of actually hitting something. I agree, I would rather have someone to do techniques on, but since I am at school I have no other choice than to do stuff in the air.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Question Re: "Air Kenpo"

Practicing Kenpo without physical contact is akin to drinking De-Caf.

What's the point? (There I go proving I live in Seattle again, coffee-achiever capitol of the known world)

Yes, we do practice the techniques without a partner sometimes, but there is no substitute for working the techniques on a variety of different bodies. It is imperative in order to learn how to control your techniques. By controlling, of course I mean striking precisely where you want to strike, with exactly as much force as you want, and with the desired speed, not simply pulling your blows. Working a technique on someone teaches you about body positioning, yours and your opponents. It explores likely reactions to various strikes, which sometimes are not remotely what you anticipate, performing the technique on a theoretical opponent. It teaches you contact manipulation, and gives you a check-up on checks so to speak. Visualization is great and neccessary, but so are real live, living breathing, moving, reacting opponents. Likewise, having the technique performed on you, helps to instill the confidence that, "HEY! This stuff really works!"
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post

At my school, I have my students work the Kenpo techniques on each other with a resistant partner every night. We also spar continuous every night and I make sure to jump in the technique lines and sparring classes as well.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I don't think it would be kenpo without contact. Every kenpo school I have set foot in has had people practise on each other. When I teach someone the technique I will go through it in the air with them a couple of times then grtab an uke so I can demonstrate how the technique works. We review in the air one more time then the student gets to practise on someone. Air Kenpo can help you in remembering your techniques and focussing on a specific part ie. bracing angles but everyone else already said it, you must apply the technique.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

If I'm teaching the class, we do very little "air karate." When you first learn the technique, you have to do it in the air to get the moves down. As soon as you know all the steps, it's time to hit something whether it's a pad, a shield, or each other (I prefer each other )
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: "Air Kenpo"

Nothing new to add. Just a thought or two. . As a practioner of kenpo you must "do it" live. Remember the old adage, "you can learn somethings on dry land, but to really learn to swim, you gotta get in the water"!!! Have to absolutely beware of "Papertiger Syndrome", capish!?
    1stJohn1:9

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

I try to practice with "a body" whenever possible. Even if it's a friend who's not in Kenpo (thanks Bill). When I work a technique "in the air" I always remember to watch the target zones. What is Kenpo without contact?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crane557 View Post
    I try to practice with "a body" whenever possible. Even if it's a friend who's not in Kenpo (thanks Bill). When I work a technique "in the air" I always remember to watch the target zones. What is Kenpo without contact?
    I'm very grateful to have found Tara and us having this new school because now I finally have people to pound on. lol.

Doing air kenpo (if you're practicing on your own) can help with getting your flow down and being smooth from one strike to the next, so it's not without merit, but hitting people is much much better.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

"Hitting people is much better"

LOL

Thanks

I thought you were suppose to learn it in the air, and then on a body. Because "in the air" is against the perfect attack. Then you learn to make adjustments for a "real" person.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links