Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you train?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Why do you train?

How and why did you get started in training in Kenpo?

For myself I have always had a fascination with martial arts, and have been in and out of various styles through out my life. I came across EPAK while attending college. I hadn't trained in an art for several years an I was hoping that the "kempo" (mislabeled by the school) would get me motivated to start training again, if not in the class but on my own. Why kenpo? Well thatís easy because it was the class at school. I am glad I found it; the concepts and theories are what keep me training today.

-Josh-
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Why do you train?

I have always been fascinated with the movement of the human body. Over time, that developed into an interest in watching "chop socky" kung fu flicks as a kid, then a desire to do that. I began in gojuryu about 21 years ago, and was hooked from the first day. About 4 years later, the instructor moved and I was forced to look elsewhere for training and ran across Al Tracy/Steve Finn. I thought I was hooked before, but after my first lesson, I decided I wanted to study kenpo for a living.

Nowadays, I can't not train.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Thanks

i started studying buddhism when i was around 19 and there were always lots of stories i'd read in various books about buddhist martial arts masters and how they used the training to develop their mind.
    a lot of people i know started out studying martial arts and eventually became interested in buddhist concepts......i was the other way around. after about 5 years of studying buddhism i met a friend of a friend who was a kempo teacher......and iwas hooked.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I first started in Kalis Kalis but then my guro turned somewhat into a religious fanatic and that didn't work to well. Then I looked around at different arts and I stumbled across Tai Kenpo. I like that the art has striking, ground work and weapons. Mostly I like the physical aspect of pushing the limits of what I "thought" I was capable of - something I didn't feel in my FMA.

jmugg Guest

My dad was training when I was a kid and he brought me in. Been kinking and hitting ever since....

Thanks

In Kenpo?

Well, I was a blue belt in kajukenbo and I moved to middle-of-nowhere Wyoming, and they had a very good kenpo school. Been there ever since.

In martial arts in general?

It looked fun, it is still is.

Lamont

Thanks

My gramma won a 3 month pass to my school at a chinese auction. I had just moved into the area (literally a few days), so she thought I would make some friends that way.

That was August 1999...now I teach at that same school. Gramma didn't know what she was doing when she offered that pass to me, huh?

Even though I was 19 when I started, I feel that participating in the MA has given me a lot more confidence than I ever had growing up. Ive learned a lot more about physics and the why's and how's of how the body moves, than I ever learned in school.

Plus its fun to hit things and NOT get in trouble for it
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I wanted something physical to do in between the wrestling seasons to fill my time. I was weight lifting then decided to take up TKD since it was in the area. Been at it ever since.
    As far as continueing, I have two daughters that I'm going to need to keep the skills up for later use.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Why do I trian????

#1: Because I LOVE Kenpo and the only way to grow & progress in it is to KEEP TRAINING. Therefore, I love training.

#2: (Related to #1) So that each tomarrow finds me further than today.

#3: The coooooool patches. ;-)

Your Brother
    John

Thanks

I started Kenpo back in 1985 and have never looked back. I have black belts in Modern Arnis, Black Dragon System Kung Fu, and Shorinji-Ryu Karate as well, but I haven't seen any that compare to EPAK.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

When I was a kid, I changed over to kenpo, after witnessing what was being taught. It provided examples for specific situations, to give one an idea of what to do to defend yourself. The directness of the techniques appealed to me as a kid, as I was in a lot of situations, being younger and smaller than mostly everyone else. It gave me a safety net, which still holds true today, as an adult in the security industry.

Karate Dad Guest

I started training because I spent so much time in the dojo watching my kids that I really started to love Kenpo. Now that I'm training, I can't believe I waited so long. I feel great and I can practice with my kids.

John

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Karate Dad
    I started training because I spent so much time in the dojo watching my kids that I really started to love Kenpo. Now that I'm training, I can't believe I waited so long. I feel great and I can practice with my kids.

John
    EXACTLY!!
    I watched my daughter for 2 years and then realized,
    Why should she have all the fun!!

Now I have fun too, but then I usually need an ice pack afterwards
    What have I learned from this???

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: Why do you train?

I have always had a fascination with the martial-arts..
    I started Kenpo and never looked back,
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

1973-Billy Jack = Hooked instantly.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

So a movie with HKD got you started, you ended up in EPAK, a movie with EPAK got me started and I ended up in HKD....wooooaaaah
    James D. "Vaudeville" Maxwell
    Missoula, Montana

"Flow without direction is spary"
    C. Crews

The IKKO WILL take over the world, the Golden One will have his reckoning. Prepare mere mortals, a wonderful begining awaits you all!

One Warrior Guest

Wow.... Billy Jack.... the memories...
    Yes I loved 70's martial arts in the media. Billy Jack, Kung Fu tv show, etc. But I was just a spectator until the late 1980s when I married and had kids. I then did the research and visited the schools and checked everything out and decided martial arts were well worth the time and money. I found a Kenpo school just up the road and have been hooked ever since. I've moved around alot due to the military and have been in and out of a couple different dojos. But I eventually settled in one place and found a Parker school and stuck with it. I have alot of hobbies but Kenpo is my passion. I am a lifetime Kenpoist. I am constantly researching, reading and writing about martial arts all the time. Yes, I'm addicted.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I had always wanted to study MA but didn't have the time or money until I graduated college. I was driving down the street and saw the Kenpo studio so I went in and took an inro course. Prior to this the only time I had even heard of Kenpo was from a friend who was a BB in Hapkido who said it was good stuff. I was really looking for an Aikido studio (Steven Seagal movies) but couldn't find one and I knew I didn't want to take TKD since I was (and still am) primarily interested in realistic SD. Anyway, I did the into lesson during which my instructor showed me Lone Kimono...and the rest is history.
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

Lee
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Several reasons:

1) My kids were in it and I was envious just sitting there watching...I always wanted to learn martial arts....

2) I never want to be able to defend myself against a man bigger than me ever again....(don't worry, I'm not a man-hater...just a hater of men that need to hurt women to feel like a man!)

3) My brother was just diagnosed with Stage 4 melanoma cancer and is dying - tumors in his brain... we are very close and I needed an outlet to deal with the inner turmoil I have been experiencing. It's a wonder what those drills will to for you...most times, I leave the dojo with bruised knuckles and shins when allowed to swing at the bags . I leave the dojo so high...I'd rather do Kenpo and cram the anti-depressants the doctor wanted me to take up his <bleep>!

I know I am very low-ranking right now, but I am determined to master this and won't quit until I do...even if it takes me a life-time!

Thanks

Is that you, Lisa? Its Susan Glad you came!! *insert excessive amount of smilies*
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links